• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Concerned about 05 Quality!

rhoag

Expert
I piicked up my 05 last Friday and have found three things wrong out of the factory. IThe dealer gave me a new grip and rivet for the snow flap, no big deal. But, tonight after waxing it I noticed the hood doesn't fit correctly. The right (non PTO) side doesn't close tight, it almost seems like there is something under the hood that is to high and will not let it set down all the way. It's about 1/4 inch or more from closed. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder what else is wrong that I can't see. Was mine made on a Friday in Japan?

The flap is a dealer install. I'm not sure about the rest.

If you put the hood down crooked, the side panels wont align with the slot in the hood and it will be held up slightly. I also find that after laying the machine on its side that the side plastic can get a little deformed and stays that way if you don't force it together when you close the hood.

Only 3 things? Consider yourself lucky! Whwn I picked my sled up from the dealer, it wouldn't move under its own power (track never tightened), brake light didn't work (took almost a year for another dealer to fix), the seat was junk, hood didn't fit right, and many, many other things. Fit & finish I wasn't impressed with...I just wanted that awesome motor!

Jim

rhoag said:
I piicked up my 05 last Friday and have found three things wrong out of the factory. IThe dealer gave me a new grip and rivet for the snow flap, no big deal. But, tonight after waxing it I noticed the hood doesn't fit correctly. The right (non PTO) side doesn't close tight, it almost seems like there is something under the hood that is to high and will not let it set down all the way. It's about 1/4 inch or more from closed. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder what else is wrong that I can't see. Was mine made on a Friday in Japan?

I'm wondering if someone dropped it off a forklift or something. That's very unusual for a Yamaha.

I've had many Yami's and have never had anything wrong with it right out of the box. I know how to close the hood and made sure the goove in the hood lined up with the plastic lip guide whatever you want to call it. I do know they use a forklift with long padded forks to move sleds around. I wonder if they lifted it wrong? I will close the hood as tight as I can then latch it. If after a couple days it doesn't fit right it's going back to be looked at. It does seem like there is something high under the hood.

rhoag said:
I've had many Yami's and have never had anything wrong with it right out of the box. I know how to close the hood and made sure the goove in the hood lined up with the plastic lip guide whatever you want to call it. I do know they use a forklift with long padded forks to move sleds around. I wonder if they lifted it wrong? I will close the hood as tight as I can then latch it. If after a couple days it doesn't fit right it's going back to be looked at. It does seem like there is something high under the hood.

I've had several myself, and probably brought home over 10, when I figure in my buddies. One thing has always stood out, perfect build quality, and no problems like the ones you describe. I'm leaning towards dealer defect :?

I also agree the Yamaha's fit an finish are top notch. I have had several new sleds and not one had any problems or imperfections as stated...but most of the things I am hearing could just be dealer set up issues...

It's the idiot dealers most often... Half the sled makes out there wouldn't have their little quirks of bad reputation if dealers got it right out of the box. My RX-1 last year was great right out of the box. I didn't have any problems at all other than setting up my suspension. But that goes for any sled. However on my 04 R1 I got it from a different dealer. Kept blowing the main ignition fuse over and over. Was very frustrating. Took it to a different dealer and after a little bit they found that it was the battery connections that hadn't been tightened down and every now and then would send a jolt to the ignition fuse. Would shut down everything, not very safe. Such a little thing and something the dealer should have done and caught when setting it up. Yet it created a large problem.

I'd look things over, if they aren't right take it back to the dealer and demand they fix it. It's not yamaha fit and finish (they are very good) it sounds like the dealer. They have to put the flap on, put the hood on, skis and mess with the skid along with a couple other things.

rhoag take a look at the two rubber bumpers up by the light pod area where your hood comes down. The reason I say this is on my 03 when it came in it did'nt have the bumpers and the hood fit like a glove I finally got around to getting them replaced two weeks ago and when i did i found it much harder to get the hood lined up right, and it now sits up about a 1/4 of an inch too high. They just pop in try taking them out one time and see if it lines up better they are at least a half inch high so i was thinking of cutting them down so it lined up better. Don't know if this will help just my observation.

If he purchased a Cat, he'd be happy because it was green and wouldn't notice the problems because he'd have stars in his eyes of passing non-Cats on the trail.

My hood had a chip in it right at the front. Dealer has one on back order. Told me Yamaha had alot like that. Anyone else waiting for a hood? Not complaining, he said ride it and when the hood comes in he'll put it on. No other issues, love the quality.

Back