• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Confused on spindles

Yamloyal

Extreme
Ok the new 09 spindles cost me $175.00 each. (for 09 front update)I take them out of the package and compare them to the '08 spindles and they seem the same in every way. I found no difference yet. So why are they listed as '09 only on the parts list? Am I missing something? Otherwise I'm taking them back to put some $ back in my pocket.

09's were supposed to be made out of billet where the 08's were cast. Angles were the same.

towerrigger said:
09's were supposed to be made out of billet where the 08's were cast. Angles were the same.

To me the '08 spindles do not look cast. If anything they look like extruded aluminum.

i just recently had to replace my right spindle on my 08 :o| and list price on the spindle alone was $196.10 :o| . i just looked at the bill about 5 minutes ago. so you would be getting a better deal if you bought the 09 instead of the 08. unless your dealer gave you a bigger discount on the 08 and not the 09? :dunno:

darren

They are made of extruded aluminum. I would like to know for sure if the '09 spindles are really machined pieces. I would be surprised.

The 09 spindles are supposed to have more trail in them. The ski bolt hole will just about line up with the ball joint holes on the 08. On the 09, the ski bolt hole should be farther behind the imaginary line.

Not saying its not possible, but I would think it would be too expensive to machine every spindle when extrusion is an option that is just as strong.

The '09 spindles are NOT made of extruded. I thought so too, but when I broke mine, you can definately tell the grain structure of the material is not that of an extruded part. These are cast spindles, and I believe thats why they break so easilly.
I actually welded the spindle back together, mainly just to mess around with it, but also for an emergency backup incase of future failures.. The spindles are cast and coated to look like an extrusion.

I'm pretty sure that the steering ball joint mounts are different on the 08 and 09 spindles. I remember noticing this as my 08 and 09 sat next to each other. That was the reason the 09's have different (shorter) steering arms. Can anyone confirm this?

Looks like you got 08 spindles. SEE PICTURES 5 POSTS DOWN.

the spindles are the same they lean in on the 09 and are strait up and down on the 08 thus the shorter seering arm . they are etruded mat as well . if the extution has a flaw in it they will breack rather easy if not they will bend .
Tom-RX1

spindles

You need to measure the 08 / 09 quite a bit of difference.
Wider all the way around, tie rod attach point is different
gap under the top a-arm attach point narrower. You may not have
the different spindles, but there are many differences.
Last year I bent my spindles right away on my practice sled, this year
they are just fine.

My spindles new spindles are '09 ones, I double checked the part #'s. Every hole seemed to match up between the '08 and '09's. But I will take the '08's back off the sled tonight and measure everything to see if I can find any difference. The '08 part # says '08 only, and the '09 says '09 only under the notes when ordering. If I can't find any difference I'm just going to run my '08s. Since I spent enough already. I'll give a update of what I find and post my part #'s tomorrow (computer is still dead at my house)

last night i took off my 08 spindle and measured every hole and angle then compared it to the 09 spindle I got. Every measurment was the same!!???? So I'm going to check the part #'s again when I go back to the dealer. If my new ones are 09's then I will just return them since $ is tight now, but if they are not I will get 09's.

No - 08 and 09 spindles are NOt the same.

The 08 and 09 Nytro spindles are NOT the same. They don't even look the same. Pictures below are of my 08 and 09 Nytro spindles. I stopped at the dealer today for something else and they had an 08 and several 09's on the floor. Ther dealer sleds confirmed the pictures below. The 09 steering arms mount on the inner side of the spindle (top picture). The 08 steering arms mount on the outer side of the spindle (bottom picture).

Attachments

• IMG00055.jpg
    IMG00055.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG00056.jpg
    IMG00056.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 129

Back