• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Consensus on the Link, has it affected you?

BV1

Expert
Is there any consesus?

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=48935

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=46956

I'ver read the two above posts and Im looking to drawn conclusion.

If the "broken link" has affected you please post here, along with the sled you have and what you did to find resolve.

Being the owner of a GT Im wondering if its my good luck that I havn't experienced a problem. I live in an area that an imobile sled could be very costly, not just in the financial sense.

Specific parts number or pictures would be great would be awesome. I've heard they are different for each sled and I've heard they are the same.

Just looking for some consensus on this problem.

Thanks,

-Steve

07 standard

Cracked link by lower shock bolt last season.Wanted to ride right away so I welded it while dealer discussed with Yamaha.

Bought the billet link early this year and tried installing.It will not fit a 07 any model Phazer without frontarm and lower pivot replacement also.Returned Billet link to dealer.

Bought Custom Axis rear shocks.So far my sled does not bottom out set on soft spring settings so I am hoping nothing will break since it bottomed alot before shocks.

Broke it 3 times. Dealer claims no update till January 2008. Rideable for loading into vehicle, but the shock was trying to make it's way through the track. Broke at 1200, 1800, 2500 miles.(approx). Broke twice on groomed trail.
Most people who haven't had it happen don't have enough miles. I think it happens more frequently to people who also ride long distances at one time. Major hits do not appear to be the cause. It's fatigue, and the number of times the suspension cycles is the determiner.

My local dealer who took part in the tech update meetings indicated that very few dealers had any complaints about the link breaking. Dealer said that not one phazer that they sold was returned with a broken link, and they sold a lot of them. There is a kit available if you do a lot of jumping and moguls that beefs up the springs, includes the new link, and some other items. It aint cheap, its around 600 dollars not including labor, and I was told its on backorder until Jan. Dealer also said Yamaha has no plans to provide free links on a proactive basis because they view it as a non issue. There is a concern that just replacing the link will cause the next weakest suspension part to fail which is why it is included in a kit with new springs etc. I don't believe we'll see a campaign update until more people complain to yamaha, right now the number of failures is not high enough.

The Billet link is not included in the race kit you are speaking of.Just the link at rear that engages the coupler blocks.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broke it 3 times. Dealer claims no update till January 2008. Rideable for loading into vehicle, but the shock was trying to make it's way through the track. Broke at 1200, 1800, 2500 miles.(approx). Broke twice on groomed trail.
Most people who haven't had it happen don't have enough miles. I think it happens more frequently to people who also ride long distances at one time. Major hits do not appear to be the cause. It's fatigue, and the number of times the suspension cycles is the determiner.

Couldn't agree more with every comment made. Also broke the link 3 times last season in 2520 miles on an FX model.
Have been patiently waiting for the new parts to arrive, welded up the factory piece in the meantime and had the rear shocks rebuilt stiffer.
Dealer said parts would be here soon.

Yea I broke mine on the last ride of the year last season. They put the updated part in for me (which included a new front arm). I haven't ridden the sled since the new part was installed to test the new parts strength.

broken - dealer ordered new one today - I'm getting the old one back and probably fab something better than what yamaha did myself.

Back