• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Considering an Apex or Nytro, couple questions

mcernik

Veteran
I currently have an 07 Phazer, looking to upgrade. Considering a Nytro or an Apex. Mainly trail riding in southeastern and northern Wisconsin. One of the main reasons I'm looking at a new sled is for stability on hardpack in the 60+ speed range. Riding the Phazer on the wide trails up north is sometimes downright scary when you're making turns at 60+ on 1 ski.

The Nytro seems to sit high like the Phazer, and I'm wondering if that will be close to as tippy as the Phazer.

A dealer in my area has a leftover 2010 Nytro RTX, and a 2009 Apex GT. What do you think would be a reasonable price to get each for?

TIA.

In my opinion you just have to be honest with what and where you plan to ride. I have an 06 apex and 08 nytro rtx. The apex is a blast on 300 mile days and an absolut riot on the lakes and rivers. The nytro is sweet in the woods and moguled out trails and you can jump a building or drop it off a cliff without a worry. Both have positives and negatives. Just my two cents... I say buy both ;-)

Yeah, I'm kinda torn, thus why I'm looking for opinions. Riding the trails in SE Wisconsin, I'm perfectly happy with the Phazer. Yeah, it's not the fastest sled around, but it's a fun sled to throw around in tight wooded trails and do a little jumping. It's comfortable enough for me for all day rides as well. It's just a bit scary and squirrley on those high speed hard pack turns...

I agree with Mazz, it depends on what you are doing the most. The apex is a trail sled. You don't want to be off playing in the woods to much, especially if it is a short track. One thing that will help it a lot off trail is a set of wider aftermarket ski's. The Nytro is a whole lot more fun off trail, but can be ridden on the trails also, I rode mine a couple thousand miles last year on the trails and got along fine, it takes a little more to get it around the corners. If you put in many 300-400 mile days around a lot of twisties, you are going to have sore arms for a while. But when I say that, I have wide ski's on my Nytro also. It's all personal preference. I have both and see a need for both. They are 2 different machines and I have 2 different riding styles. That is why I have both. I have had many RX-!'s Apex's etc. over the years and had 2 Nytro's last year. Since then I sold one and went back to a Apex for my long distance trail riding machine. If I had to pick just one though, I would go Nytro, cause I because I love to get off the trail alot. Hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you more. Good Luck and have a great winter.

I have both an 08 Nytro and an 08 Phazer. I put a 136" in both and Ski-Doo skis on both, the Nytro is now a great all-around sled and handles very good with the changes. The Phazer, forget about it, I just traded it in on an Attack. I did spend time last year on an Attack and it did handle better than the Nytro. But with any of them, you need different skis.

Mazz said:
my opinion you just have to be honest with what and where you plan to ride. I have an 06 apex and 08 nytro rtx. The apex is a blast on 300 mile days and an absolut riot on the lakes and rivers. The nytro is sweet in the woods and moguled out trails and you can jump a building or drop it off a cliff without a worry. Both have positives and negatives. Just my two cents... I say buy both ;-)

I have to agree 100% with Mazz. I ride an 2008 Apex and my brother has a 2010 Nytro XTX. I would hate to have to take the Nytro on a trip, but you don't want to jump an Apex without doing some suspension work. They initial engagement is smooth on an Apex with the Nytro being a little more agressive. You can't go wrong with either sled, but you really need to focus on your style of riding.

or
Mazz said:
buy both ;-)
:Rockon:

I have both sleds and depends on how you set them up. I found the Nytro required more set up to prevent the tippy feeling when going hard in the corners. Once it is set up, it is an awesome sled and easy to throw arround. I find it like riding an aggressive ATV. But on the lakes, or long flat trails, Apex is the KING!
:nos

Last year my APEX was layed up for the weekend my dealer borrowed me an 08 Nytro seemed right away like I was riding a football in the corners, everyone in our group took turns and was anxious to get back on there sleds. It takes a couple hours to get used to it and even after not the greatest in the trails. Straight line and playing around very fun to ride but my opinion not a good trail sled. Stayed side by side on the lake with my buddies new Doo 800 MXz which surprised me. Very strong weight transfer and hookup w/o studs!

My APEX goes exactly where you turn it with skiis on the ground but not good in deep powder. Your call depending on your riding style.

Don't worry. Either sled will be a huge upgrade from what you are riding now. The Apex will be more stable in the corners. The nytro is flat out fun every time you get on it. The apex is super fast! The Nytro is super quick. If you like to stand up often to give your body a break, the Nytro is easier to stand on. Sit on them both. Make your decision. Both machines are great. Get a good deal. They need to get rid of old models. Buy it. Then ride often and HAVE FUN!

I have no experience with the nytro but I can vouch for the apex. Sounds like an apex would be better for you...solid sled at high speeds. I know everyone says bad things about hitting big bumps on the apex but imo a suspension upgrade fixes that. I have an 07 apex rtx with hygear's trail pro upgrade in the rear and a adjustable rox riser...can't think of a better overall sled. Once set up right, it is fast, corners well, and handles the big bumps with the best of them. Only reason I would go with a nytro would be if you are looking for something that can handle powder better, easier standing transition and has a lighter feeling (from what I hear)

I ran the 08 Nytro and sold them before th season was up to buy Apex's again. I had sold my 06 apexes for the 08 Nytro's. I would have to say that if you don't like the Phazer feel in corners you will down right whites in your eyes terrified on the Nytro's in the corners. I spent over 17 hours trying to get my 08 Nytro dialed in. I have only done a small test ride on the 09's and they did seem much more stable than the 08's with the improvements to the front end.

For me high speed trail riding in Northern WI and UP the Apex is fantastic. Of all the people that rode my 08 Nytro not one said they would want one and all felt scared after getting off it. Engine is awesome and the Nytro is truely at home on torn up trails and ditch banging.

My 07 Apex RTX handled good out of the box. A few suspension adjustments and pilots skis and now it handles awesome. The 08 Nytro I rode out of the box handled like complete crap. At the end of the 08 season I rode one that the dealer had set up and it handled about the same as 07 RTX did out of the box. Contrary to what most will say you can pound an Apex through the bumps. I've put 13,000 miles of WOT through moguls on mine and it has held up insanely well. I've jumped it over main roads and it balances incredibly well in the air. It's not the best in the powder but an experienced rider can throw it in places your friends will not believe if he is strong enough to toss it around. I love my 07 RTX and would never trade it for a Nytro.

Back