• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

contemplating NYTRO purchase vs skidoo XP

turbo50jeff

I've had a hard time trying to figure out IF I should purchase an 11 FX Nytro vs any XP Ski-doo.
The problem is I've heard so many bad things about the Nytro I'm under the impression it is a clumsy poor handling sled in stock form that needs a pair of skis and tons of tuning by most accounts.
Now ridden Ski-Doo ZX and REV chassis and Arctic Cat F6 fire cats for over 7 years and tweaking the suspensions on those machines I've got a pretty good handle of what to adjust to get the desired end handling result.
My good friend says to stay away from Yamaha with a ten foot pole because it's 80-100 lbs heavier and a comparable XP and lighter is always better he says. I say it's only 20-30 lbs heavier than my REV is how I look at it.
Now I'm a firm believer that it takes at least a full season to get a grip on the desired handling characteristics of any sled and adjust/tweak accordingly. So I'm OK with that on the NYTRO. What I'm not OK with is constantly chasing the perfect setup that I will never find because of a poorly designed sled.
I KNOW that an XP I could purchase jump on and be happy with the whole package after a little while of adjustments because that's the general consensus.
What I love about the NYTRO is the styling, the power, no two stroke oil, the quality of the overall machine.
But will I regret it and have a hard time selling it because it's a Yamaha?
HELP

I don't ride trail at all so I cannot comment on the Nytro on trail.

Have you looked into the 1200 Rengade? Sounds closer to what you want.

We ride MTX's 153 & 162 on the trail when we are getting to play areas and we don't find them to be a hard sled to handle. My wife's old sled was a SXR that I stretched to 144" and she was always nervous on that sled when she would transition from the ditch to the filed or vise versa. Now that she has a Nytro she would ride nothing else. She scares the crap out of me sometimes how confident she is with the sled. More then once I have see her standing up and doing 80 mph across a rough field or coming out of the ditch at 70 mph. The SXR never seen 80 mph unless I rode it and that sled did rail corners. They are a little front heavy but are no heavier then a sled from the early 2000's in overall weight. I just say they are only heavy at idle, once on the gas they feel just like any other sled. Just about everyone puts a few bucks into their sled to make it work for them. You don't have to go crazy . Is there one near by that you could take for a quick spin. For the price you quoted I would snag it in a heart beat . I actually think the extra little bit of weight makes for a nicer ride.

If I were you I'd buy an XP. Way better handling and lighter. You can actually just ride it stock, right out of the showroom like a normal sled. I'm frustrated right now and a little butthurt after spending over $100 on deuce bars at my dealer.

777 said:
If I were you I'd buy an XP. Way better handling and lighter. You can actually just ride it stock, right out of the showroom like a normal sled. I'm frustrated right now and a little butthurt after spending over $100 on deuce bars at my dealer.
your gonna be really choked when you find out they won't make a difference. :whine:

I sure hope you are wrong. My quick test ride this morning leans me to believe you are correct. Hope not, I hate pissing away money, especially to replace perfectly good parts.

777 said:
I sure hope you are wrong. My quick test ride this morning leans me to believe you are correct. Hope not, I hate pissing away money, especially to replace perfectly good parts.
Well you better sell that nytro then !

Get the doo. It may be $1000 more but you will spend a $1,000 on the Nytro and it still won't handle as good as that 1200.

Don't believe the quickest, cheapest fix is the correct one. These sleds require different skis. Some guys have good luck with snow trackers, but if you don't want to "piss away a few bucks" the Nytro is not for you.

I know I'd be happy with an xp. But I'd go two stroke if I went that direction anyway.
I guess the ultimate question is will it handle and feel like an 05 mxz x? I was very happy with that. I wouldn't expect it to feel like I'm going backwards in sled technology the nytro is 6 years newer.
But if it's never gonna feel "right" and going to feel nervous and darty even after upgrading skis I think I'd pass. I don't have an issue spending some $ on skis and carbides

I guess I'm looking for someone to chime in that has had a rev or xp and went nytro.

My situation is a little different than yours but i'll comment anyway. I sold my 09 summit x 800r this fall and bought a 2010 xtx. The summit was a great sled although it had a tendancy for one or the other front skis to dive occasionally and scare the crap out of you. also it pushed a lot but you expect that with a 154. So with the xtx all I have done is put tuner skis on and set the suspension as soft as possible and firmed up the shocks from there a little at a time to a point that it suits my ride style. I love how it rides and handles. I actually prefer the way it handles over the summit but we are talking about two different catagories of sled the xtx would be more like a renegade. I switched because I wont be riding the mountains anymore and wanted more of a crossover. The xtx fits the bill perfect, tipped up rails so it handles nice in the tight stuff but has long track ride in the deep stuff as well as the choppy beatup trails not to mention Yamaha quality and reliability. No regrets no looking back. I think a lot of people get scared away from the nytro from the postings they read on this site. Keep in mind the regulars posting here love to tune their sleds and make them the best they could possibly be for their riding style and they would be doing this no matter what brand they had. You don't have to mod these sleds much to have something that you will be very happy with. By the way we are about the same age and I still love to ride hard and am definately not ready for a two up or trail cruiser but the long track provides a much nicer ride. No shorty's for me. I won't knock Doo but I love my Nytro

Nytro

I have a Nytro XTX and a Renegade Backcountry. Love both but prefer the Nytro now that I am used to both. If it pisses you off about spending 200-300$ on skiis, buy the Renegade and be done with it or trade ur Nytro in. Simple!

Back