• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Converting 2016 SRViper MTX 153 to a trail sled.

littledawg

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX
Has anyone converted a 2016 SR Viper MTX 153 to a trail sled! I bought this machine new in 2017 and put 450 miles on it. Its been sitting the last 2 years as I got sick but now I'm on the mend and feeling pretty good but life has changed. Now i can only handle trail riding which my machine is not set up for on the ever day basis. I'm in the process of installing a 1.3/4 track and will need to change the clutching and gearing to get some more MPH out of it on the lakes, I also want to change the A-arms and add the stabilizer bar. Any suggestions or pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Has anyone converted a 2016 SR Viper MTX 153 to a trail sled! I bought this machine new in 2017 and put 450 miles on it. Its been sitting the last 2 years as I got sick but now I'm on the mend and feeling pretty good but life has changed. Now i can only handle trail riding which my machine is not set up for on the ever day basis. I'm in the process of installing a 1.3/4 track and will need to change the clutching and gearing to get some more MPH out of it on the lakes, I also want to change the A-arms and add the stabilizer bar. Any suggestions or pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Everything is doable but your better off in the long run to sell it and buy a trail sled, I converted my viper ltx dx 137" to a 141" mtx so I can relate, lots of parts to buy and sell or trade.

I would agree with murdered141.... unless you really enjoy tinkering and have the space to build the sled, if that is the case it can fun and a fair amount of work.

Everything is doable but your better off in the long run to sell it and buy a trail sled, I converted my viper ltx dx 137" to a 141" mtx so I can relate, lots of parts to buy and sell or trade.
If my machine wasn't pretty much new I would definitely sell it and just buy a trail sled, I use to do a lot of playing so the work isn't an issue and I have the shop and tools to do so I've already traded my 2.6 track for a 1.75. looking for clutching and gearing recommendations. I'm still using my 153 skid so it's a lot of track to turn and using a set up out of a 128 or 137 probably won't be the best. I don't mind spending a few bucks it will still be cheaper than what the dealer is willing to give me as a trade.

I would agree with murdered141.... unless you really enjoy tinkering and have the space to build the sled, if that is the case it can fun and a fair amount of work.
I hear ya! I've got the space and the tools and do enjoy tinkering. Just looking for some clutching and gearing recommendations as I don't think using a stock set up out of a 128 or 136 will be good as there is a lot of rubber to turn using my 153 skid.

There is a thread or two in the mountain viper section of guys doing the exact same as you

I looked into this beforeI bough my sled. The dealer had a NEW 16' MTX 153 in the crate for 7500$ but I decided to grab a low mileage Demo 14' XTX
for 5700$ from the same dealer. Entire front arms/spindles/tierod sets can be found for ~300-400$ used, 40 or 42" sets will have the sway bar mounts. There are also 40" arms that match your 16' style spindles available. The swaybar/mounts/links about another 150-200$. You will need proper shocks that match the arms as each different width front has it's own length shock. Your currently geared to run 77mph, an XTX gear set OR 8 tooth XTX drivers/axle will get you 90mph top speed, Both will net a possible 105 top speed (likely won't reach that without a turbo). I could swap out everything in a day pretty easy and selling off the old parts would get most of the money back. Another thing, ADD the extra idler wheels that the XTX skid has that are inside the rails by the rear shock, they really helped slide wear on my buddies 15' 153".

I looked into this beforeI bough my sled. The dealer had a NEW 16' MTX 153 in the crate for 7500$ but I decided to grab a low mileage Demo 14' XTX
for 5700$ from the same dealer. Entire front arms/spindles/tierod sets can be found for ~300-400$ used, 40 or 42" sets will have the sway bar mounts. There are also 40" arms that match your 16' style spindles available. The swaybar/mounts/links about another 150-200$. You will need proper shocks that match the arms as each different width front has it's own length shock. Your currently geared to run 77mph, an XTX gear set OR 8 tooth XTX drivers/axle will get you 90mph top speed, Both will net a possible 105 top speed (likely won't reach that without a turbo). I could swap out everything in a day pretty easy and selling off the old parts would get most of the money back. Another thing, ADD the extra idler wheels that the XTX skid has that are inside the rails by the rear shock, they really helped slide wear on my buddies 15' 153".
Thanks for the information I've been looking on line for used front ends but haven't had much success I see spi is sells aftermarket Arms for around $500 cdn.

It seems your doing what’s needed. For your clutching issues with the VIPER Terry at Thunder products is very helpful with both clutch knowledge and the parts you need.
He and his partner have meticulously tried tested and developed on VIPERS on the trail what you need.
PM him her on TY and you will get the help you need.

to turn a 153 into a trail machine you need (i know you already have some of these)

trail front end 40 or 42" with sway bar
xtx gearing 21/49
clutching
smaller track
extra idler wheels (look at the 14 m8000 part diagram for them)
dupont sliders
then you will want to do some suspension changes too. but that is all personal preference

I’m pretty sure you already found my 153 on trail build that you commented on. But I’m gonna follow you here on yours. Can’t wait to see how you go about it.

Back