• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant/Anti Freeze Consumption

Rander54

New issue to add to the list haha.

So I went out riding the other day and conditions were not the best. Warmer temps around 34 degrees and hard pack snow conditions. Too add to that I was not riding at very fast speeds. Went for about a 15 mile ride and I happened to look down at my gauges and saw a stead ! indicator light on. I immediately pulled over, never seeing this before and assumed it was hot.

I'm not sure how long it was on but I read that the '05s and up have an automatic shutoff to prevent burning up the engine? So I pulled over, let it cool off and had someone bring me some coolant. I topped it off (took a good amount) and headed back home riding at much faster speeds and hitting the ditches more. Ran fine, no lights came on.

So a few days later I decided to go out again, doing my pre ride check I saw that the anti freeze bottle was empty again. Put 16oz of 50/50 antifreeze in and went out for a 10 mile ride. Let it cool down, got some food and went back out to ride. Checked it again, bottle was empty. No indicator lights have come on after that first time. Took another 16 oz 50/50 that I brought with me.

Headed for home and checked it when I got back, about another 10 miles and it was empty again. No indicator light came on either. At this point I'm very concerned. Filled it up again at home and pulled the panels off. No signs of leaking anywhere but I did notice a smell of anti freeze steam coming from the engine area. I even elevated the rear of the sled while running and also turned it on its side, no pooling or signs or leaks. Oil looks good. Rode it around for a shorter time period and it did not loose any.

Waited a few days, got it out again, level had not gone down. Warmed it up and took it for a shorter ride, no leaks no level change. Any ideas? Head gasket?

Thanks.

My 03 always looks almost empty, I can top it off and go for a ride and check and it will be back to almost empty. Its always been this way, normal for RX's.

Ok I'm not sure how far down it is when the bottle is empty though. I am assuming the warning light will come on when it is down low enough for it to be an issue? Just makes me nervous not seeing much in the bottle. Also does anyone know about the automatic shutoff on the '05s?

I had a similar issue with my Warrior. Two very small leaks that would happen while riding when the coolant system came up to operating pressure. One leak was the coolant pipes located above the valve cover, required new o-rings and a coolant top up. The other was a little more difficult to narrow down but ended up being the lower water pump inlet hose. Its a 90 degree elbow that connect to a steel tube under the motor that had wore through and would only leak when up to operating temps/pressure. The airbox required removal and needed to idle the sled and get it to the right condition to see the leak. Just a heads up.

I had a similar issue with my Warrior. Two very small leaks that would happen while riding when the coolant system came up to operating pressure. One leak was the coolant pipes located above the valve cover, required new o-rings and a coolant top up. The other was a little more difficult to narrow down but ended up being the lower water pump inlet hose. Its a 90 degree elbow that connect to a steel tube under the motor that had wore through and would only leak when up to operating temps/pressure. The airbox required removal and needed to idle the sled and get it to the right condition to see the leak. Just a heads up.
Thanks for the input, however even with the small leaks, you would see anti freeze on the ground or somewhere didn't you? My concern is not only am I not seeing the leaks, but I don't see any on the snow or anywhere. I will check those areas though.

My 03 always looks almost empty, I can top it off and go for a ride and check and it will be back to almost empty. Its always been this way, normal for RX's.
My Vector does the same thing. After a normal ride, the reservoir will be empty, top it up, then empty after the next ride. The system is just expelling the excess coolant when heated up out the overflow tube. It's now at equilibrium when the excess is gone. That's just the way it wants to be. Obviously you need to check for drips, leaks or milky oil, if none of this is present, then normal coolant loss.

my 05 war would not run with the bottle full. it always liked to run with only a bottomfull.

My Vector does the same thing. After a normal ride, the reservoir will be empty, top it up, then empty after the next ride. The system is just expelling the excess coolant when heated up out the overflow tube. It's now at equilibrium when the excess is gone. That's just the way it wants to be. Obviously you need to check for drips, leaks or milky oil, if none of this is present, then normal coolant loss.
That sounds good so there is really no sense in topping it off then? I am also assuming that my coolant temp warning indicator light would come on if my levels were too low? It never did that first time, it was just the steady warning light that first time and I haven't seen it since. I assumed since the coolant was low that was the issue, but maybe not. Of course all our snow here in NW PA has melted so I can't mess with it for a while. Thanks for the input, I amp hoping for the best!

Also does anyone know about the automatic shutoff on the '05s?

Yup, it works. At least on my '05. Shutoff a couple times while idling. Problem solved after replacing the rear crossover pipe with a rear heat exchanger. One of my better upgrades.... Shuts off to keep the motor from damaging itself from overheating....

My only concern at this point is with no fluid in the bottle knowing how much is in there. However if it gets dangerously low I assume the over heat codes would come on?

The little bottle that you have been adding coolant to is an overflow. Its just there for when the motor warms and cools because the coolant will expand when it gets hot and when it cools down the motor creates a vacuum and sucks the coolant back into to motor. As long as you see a little coolant in the bottle I wouldn't worry about it. If you add to much coolant to the bottle the engine will just push it out the overflow tube onto the ground!

Little update on this situation. I got frustrated with the whole issue so I took it to a local shop. Explained what had been going on and he bled the system of air and pressure tested the system. Maintained adequate pressure so he determined no leaks were present. I figured maybe if air was in the system from a possible over heat that may have been the issue with the bottle level.

He checked for signs of head gasket leak, no milky looking oil or specs on the dip stick. Exhaust does not smell like coolant. So fingers crossed, hoped that bleeding the system was all it needed.

Drove the sled approximately 3 miles from the dealer and checked the bottle. Empty and this time it was obvious that it was coming out the overflow tube. Started it back up and let it idle for a few min. It flashed the code ! and temp (steady) indicating an over heat situation and automatically shut off. My mechanic suspects that maybe the bottle cap is wore out so I am going to try replacing that in the next few days.

What do you guys think?

How full are you filling the bottle? What do you mean by empty? If you run it without moving there is no cooling it will overheat. Cap not sealing and pressurizing system could loose more anti freeze. Running in around freezing point temps and hard snow with no lube or cooling effect will cause problems

Filling to the cold fill line. By empty I mean no coolant in the bottle. I’m not letting it idle for long only about 2-3 min I wouldn’t think that would cause an over heat situation? I just had it running while I filled the gas tank and it shut off...that’s never happened to me before.

I could try riding it until the code flashes if it even does just concerned about the coolant loss and frying the motor !

Filling to the cold fill line. By empty I mean no coolant in the bottle. I’m not letting it idle for long only about 2-3 min I wouldn’t think that would cause an over heat situation? I just had it running while I filled the gas tank and it shut off...that’s never happened to me before.

I could try riding it until the code flashes if it even does just concerned about the coolant loss and frying the motor !

16 oz is a lot to the fill line. If the bottle gets that low you start putting air into the system, that is bad. If the motor is warmed to temp and the outside temp is at or near freezing it does not take long to overheat. If there is air in the system even less time. Try the cap see if that helps.

Back