• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cordless Heated Shield

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
I have this Micro Start boost pack that I have been carrying around for 2 seasons now. Love it. Works great. What do you guys think about running the heated shield for my helmet off it or the new smaller version? I am no electrician is the idea sound? I have a Rollover tether and will not give up heated shield. Too many cords attaching me to sled. Would be nice to have the shield cord going into my pocket hooked to this so I dont have to remove it everytime I get off sled. Maybe even mount it on helmet?
image.jpg

Just cobbled a cord together. Light on shield is lit so assume its working. Will leave it on to see how long it will run...

Polaris industries makes a cordless pack for heated shields also, I believe it is much smaller than the unit your are testing. The unit you are testing should last a very long time in comparison to what Poo has. The smaller unit from Anit-Gravity weighs a mere 6oz @ 6000mah or 6Ah should be much handier to use as it would nestle in your inside pocket a little nicer. Did you install a fuse to not burnout the element? I believe most corded heat shield cable installs are fused for a 2A draw. Don't melt your shield,lol!! Come to think of it the units in question have internal fused outlets at lower Ah/mah for charging cell phones and laptops etc. Are you using one of those outputs. Great idea Cannon!!

I was using the 2a outlet. Maybe a switch or resistor to limit output would help since this shield really puts out. Would like 8 hrs though.

edit. How hot did the shield get? Maybe reducing to a 1a fuse will double your time. See how the full charge goes first. What is the capacity of the unit you have? I think the xp-1 is 10,000mah? Good work.

Last edited:
Its 68deg in garage and you could feel the heat coming off shield the whole time. Definitely hotter than room temp. I believe shield would work just fine with less out put. I will get a resistor and wire it in. Put it in positive side?

I think this unit must shut off if not at full output since even at 1 bar on indicator it starts a car. It recharges very fast. Already at 2 bars. Here are the specs.
DSC00654.JPG

Using the 12v =2a,reduce using a 1a fuse in the positive line. Not 100% if its gonna double your time but to my knowledge that is all that is required for a heated shield. Hope this helps.. I'm not an electrician either, but I've been learning alot more as I considered one of these for starting my sled, using no accessorys and running my sled batteryless. Google educated,lol

Using a lower amp fuse will not lower power consumption. All it will do is blow if the current is above 1A. I don't think adding a resistor is a solution. It will just lower the heat output and performance.

And converting 44.4Wh to mAh gives only 3700. With a 10 000 mAh unit, that would give 8+ hours, maybe even 12.

Using a lower amp fuse will not lower power consumption. All it will do is blow if the current is above 1A. I don't think adding a resistor is a solution. It will just lower the heat output and performance.

And converting 44.4Wh to mAh gives only 3700. With a 10 000 mAh unit, that would give 8+ hours, maybe even 12.

So depending on the requirements of the heated shield, when converting the wh to mah, if the 5v = 2a will operate the heated shield, then the mah conversion increases to 8880 mah capacity. Getting closer to 10,000mah specified for 8hrs/12hrs run time. I'm not sure how Polaris Industires does this with their cordless kit but I'm gonna look into it so we can help out more here on this unit.

Back