• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cordless Heated Shield

How about special underwear that is wired to your heated shield and other accessories that receives power inductively from a coil in the seat. I am sure it would be a real "pain in the #*$&@" to develop but if anyone can figure it out Rock can! LOL!

Idk the capacity. Just know If my phones dead it takes 3-4 hours to kill charger while using phone plus it will be atleast half or more charged when done. Can't imagine a shield using more voltage than a phone charging

Idk the capacity. Just know If my phones dead it takes 3-4 hours to kill charger while using phone plus it will be atleast half or more charged when done. Can't imagine a shield using more voltage than a phone charging

The shield is simply a resistive load that draws a certain number of watts.

The voltage is an issue because the portable cell phone charger battery packs are 5V and the shield is designed for 12V. Therefore the shield will draw over twice as much current at 5V than at 12V (power in watts equals volts times amps). I just don't see a 5V power supply working for this application.

It sounds like Rock has something in mind that will work. However again I just don't see this as a real problem in need of a solution. I would rather deal with a cord than to carry a battery in my pocket.

I understand that some guys have a kill switch tether cord already and they don't want to deal with a second cord. Making a single quick disconnect cord with dual functions seems like much better solution in that case.

Problem solved with these two items. (
TalentCell 12V Lithium ion Battery PB120B1, Rechargeable 38400mAh 142.08Wh Li-ion Battery Pack with DC 12V and 5V USB Output for LED Light Strip, CCTV Camera, Mobile and More
AND,
(Real 18AWG 43x2pcs Copper Strands) 10 Pairs DC Power Pigtail Cable Wire, 12V 5A Male & Female Connectors for CCTV Security Camera and Lighting Power Adapter by MILAPEAK
- you can put a two amp fuse in the positive lead if you want some extra protection for helmet but I don't. Works for more than 8 hours, battery fits in pocket. only issue is occasionally the plug will come out if you don't leave enough slack between the helmet and your pocket. I sewed the cord into my coat just outside the interior inside pocket of my Klim coat and it's never happened again, Just have to rip it out when I wash the coat every once in awhile. Solves 12V issue and provides enough power to last the day. Worth every penny and then some and while maybe not a problem for some, the convenience of this is awesome.

upload_2020-10-11_10-13-24.png

Maybe a little different approach but I've been trying to find something along the lines of a magnetic connection.

My simple solution -to simplifying cords which I also hated- when I used an E shield was to pass the wire, under the zipper cover of my coat. The cord is then at the height of the bars and simply unplugs when I would forget and get off the sled with out disconnecting- which I always did many times a day thankfully with no harm done. Also loved with the cord so low never in way of my hands, truly didn’t know it was there when riding.

Now for years I have the BV2S, no Eshield and thankfully do not fog. Have not had issues with freezing sleet on shield yet. So cordless

That is a good solution however, I hate "middle of the wire" type connectors requiring both hands to put back together. I love my RCA connector on the handlebar. A magnetic connector on the handlebar or dash would be ideal. Even if you use that connector and continue to use the RCA to regularly disconnect with the magnetic one just for when you forget, I'd be afraid of losing the one end. Maybe I'd zip tie the one magnetic connector to the bar.

Has anyone tried that connector? How strong is that magnet?

Mine should be here today. Will let you know. They recommend zip tying one end to your sled and the other to your helmet. There is also a light on both sides of the magnetic connection.

Received cord yesterday as expected. First impression is it is made from high quality gold plated rca connectors. Magnetic connection seems very strong. Real test will be on the sled when I get a chance to ride. Looks like it will work well. Also, I mentioned above that the magnetic connection has an led on both sides. That is incorrect. It only has an led on the side going to the helmet to let you know there is power getting through the connection.

How did it work?

I have not used mine yet but 3 other guys I ride with got them at the same time and love them. All they do is wave the one end close to the other and the magnet grabs and they said it has never just fallen apart on them. Highly recommended.

Back