• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Covering a single place trailer

sawsalesman

Expert
Let's just start by saying that after buying my Apex a couple of weeks ago, my wife would kill me if I went out and bought a new covered trailer. I currently have a single place open style trailer and think I am going to make a wooden box to cover the trailer. What do you guys think about this. I don't care if it only lasts 2 seasons or so. My thought is to make it then paint it with some of that gray paint you put down on garage floors. I think that paint will protect the wood pretty well. Any other thoughts out there as to how to cover this trailer in an inexpensive way?

I think the wood will add alot of weight. Maybe an aluminum frame and a grey tarp for a soft top finish would work?

I am getting one made for my double bed trailer, I used tubing for the frame and had a person sew transport tarp together for the cover...I will get pictures when it,s done...

I know the wood is going to add a lot of weight. My idea is to have the back panel lift off and the top hinge forward. That way I don't have to lift the box up to get the machine out. I only need to have 1/2 of the top flip over so I can get to the handle bars and back it off the trailer. The canvas idea sounds good too.

The transport tarp is heavy duty so it will last a while, the whole cover is going to cost me about $400 Canadian for a double bed trailer, I have seen a couple here and they look good and they last..Might add 60 lbs to the trailer....

trailer

Find the weight rating of the trailer and estimate the weight of the wood you are going to use. If anything use 1/4" (5.2mm) Luan for the sides and to save weight use Tyvek or another brand house wrap for the roof. It will Hold up better than fabrics or a plastic tarp. You can usually get it cheap from someone doing siding or a construction site and has extra from a job.

This would help keep weight down also the house wrap will breath for temp changes. I think it can easily be done for around $150 give or take.

If you make it lets seem some pics please!!!

Good luck

Toy Carrier

If you already have a single trailer, then check out the Toy Carrier. I bought one 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it. I believe that they are located in Canada. They have a web site that you can look at them at. toycarrier.com Do not have any idea how much they cost now. Good luck.

Re: Toy Carrier

718000000089 said:
If you already have a single trailer, then check out the Toy Carrier. I bought one 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it. I believe that they are located in Canada. They have a web site that you can look at them at. toycarrier.com Do not have any idea how much they cost now. Good luck.

That thing is nice but looks expen$ive

Anybody have an idea on cost

Not sure what your budget is, but heres a couple ideas.

http://www.toesters.com/oneplacephoto.asp
These appear to be about $700 shipped to your door for a one place.

Another alternative: http://www.canvasworksincmn.com/snocaps.html
Price unknown, call 'em.

For comparison it cost me about $1,400 to have a conventional aluminum clamshell cap put on a 2 place Triton. Above two sites look like cheaper alternatives, but probably not as stout.

Even cheaper is to leave the trailer open...fabricate or buy a salt shield to take the brunt of punishment and invest $150 to $200 in a total cover that covers the skis and everything...pretty effective.

An all plywood cover will be hard to build strong enough to take the abuse of high speed trailering, very heavy, and probably more expensive than you think by the time you add up all the materials. Canvas over wood frame may work, but may not be as cheap and easy to build strong as you might think either.

Good luck in your quest!

Sawsalesman....out of curiousity...what do you tow the trailer/snowmobile with now? If its a pick-up truck...get one of those snowmobile loaders/ramp(you can find them in the Cabela's or Bass pro shop books) so you can put the snowmobile in the bed of the truck(this is all contingent(sp.?) on you having a pick-up of course). Get a nice snowmobile cover and you are set.

I drive an FX4 F150 4 door truck with a cap. Unfortunately I have to keep the cap on for work purposes. I haul most of the products I sell to my customers in New England, NY and PA. Good idea but it isn't an option. I have the full body cover for the machine but the salt still gets into the suspension components.

I have a single place Toy Carrier I purchased 2 years ago. I absolutely love it. However, my RX-1 just barely fits between the support brackets for the cover. If your ski stance is any wider than the RX-1, you might have a problem, unless they have made a change. Last year I got rear ended and had to price out a new trailer (fortunately, I only had to replace the tongue) and a new trailer and toy cover was about $1700 USD. I paid 1250 the year before. This is with a Karavan trailer.

Dingus,

I have one of these covers right now. They do work pretty well but I'm looking for even more protection. The amount of salt used in New England is ridiculous. I think what I am going to do is make a snow shield that extends down the side of the trailer about 18" high and use the cover. Enclosing the whole trailer out of wood is going to be a pain in the rear so I'm beginning to think that with a snow shield extended down the side of the trailer and the full body cover, I should be okay. I really like the looks of the toy carriers but I guess I will save my money and buy a 2 place enclosed trailer in the spring.

Back