• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crashed my 2022 SRX

Driving my 2022 SRX down the trail today and some fool on a skidoo going the opposite loses control and rolls his sled right in front of me. I tried to swerve and avoid him but it was too late and I crashed right into him. He felt bad about causing the accident and we exchanged info but I think I’ll never hear from this guy again, I highly doubt his insurance will pay for anything. I’m so pissed off, the SRX only had 1500 km on it, 40 years of riding and I’ve never had an accident or crashed and some skidoo fool who can’t drive wrecks my brand new sled.
How bad is it? Is it still drivable?

Glad you're ok. Sled can be fixed.
I think most of us have been nearly picked off by people on wrong side, riding too fast, drinking, etc, etc. I just got back from a 5 day trip and had several near misses. I usually lead our group and I have to say it's unnerving to lead especially during the afternoon (after those guys have had several bar stops!) when you can't see them coming. I like riding at night cuz I can see headlights coming.

I agree , riding at night is best if your leading a group no doubt about it . Problem with weekends is you get every want a be racer that thinks he is a good rider if he can trail ride fast ??? I say who are you beating ??? You think your good , go prove it on the track , if your as good as you think it won’t take long to get noticed and picked up by a good team… And even worst is the guy that thinks he is fast cause he can follow someone in front of him and always trying to push the guy leading . Again on the trail where the guy leading is maybe using his head to stay in safe control and is concerned with safety of others….

It sure sucks getting taken out by an idiot. I had the same type of issue a few years back on a trip to Greenland MI, an out of control moron on a Polaris. He came at me all crossed up as I was in a left hander and I was even hanging off the trail on the right side because I know how the idiots ride. Sure sheet here one came around the corner going way too damn fast. He rolled it and got thrown off he started ranting and raving I was in his lane, blah, blah, blah, then I showed him my ski tracks and where I was siting still half off the trail, I read him the riot act right back, boy he changed his tune fast. We went right up to the dealer just up a few blocks, and he paid for my parts order on the spot. Just so happened he was test driving a Polaris from that same dealer, it happened to be Pats Auto and Sports and my good pal Kip made sure I was taken care of and the parts got ordered.

I was going slow and rounded the corner off the trail and here come that Polaris 144" all sideways and already out of control, he was already crashing when he met me and then wanted to blame me. Takes all kinds! Got to be careful out there, especially the lead rider. I've had so many close calls I can't even tell ya.

Sorry to read about your sled and glad to learn you were not hurt.

Not to paint all people with one brush, but I Doo see many young guys stand up riding with a backpack with a shovel sticking out overdriving their sleds. Many run no studs or good carbide while blasting sideways through corners with more concern about their Go-Pro video than safety.

Hope you get your sled fixed soon.

Glad your BOTH okay( we have all made a few mistakes in our lives riding). Sucks to see a broken up beautiful sled... I lead when riding, and this is exactly why I ride from 730 AM to 3-4 PM.. Weekends after 2pm i ride really slow on corners and get very defensive. Some times it does not matter and sh$^ happens.. Hope you get things resolved

I just got back from 1-1/2 weeks of sledding in Mattawa. Way too many close calls. If you can't stay on your side, you're driving too fast. Seen no less than 6 spots where sleds went off trail and hit trees.

I assume you got ALL his info , as if this accident had happened on the road ?
You should be taken care of by his insurance , if it is clear he was on your side of the trail , he may get charged with reckless or dangerous driving , unless you two are able to resolve this without going the legal/insurance route .
I had a hit and run with a Polaris , and fortunately the damage was cosmetic , but still .
Yesterday was a busy day on the trails and almost got dinged again , and again it was a younger rider on a Polaris .
Is there a trend here ?
Are there more Yahoo's driving other brands than Yamaha's ?
I assume that's because Yamaha's are a more expensive sled to buy (but maybe not to own) , and less of a skis pointing to the sky type of sled , the average Yamaha rider is an older and more responsible person .(not sure if that's the best way to put it , but I think you know what I mean)
I am not perfect but you need to have an awareness of trail riding protocol , and what situations can be dangerous , if you are not careful.
They don't print those STAY RIGHT or SLOW signs for no reason !
Stay safe !

Glad your BOTH okay( we have all made a few mistakes in our lives riding). Sucks to see a broken up beautiful sled... I lead when riding, and this is exactly why I ride from 730 AM to 3-4 PM.. Weekends after 2pm i ride really slow on corners and get very defensive. Some times it does not matter and sh$^ happens.. Hope you get things resolved
Great point about riding during the day. We go early in the AM and we are back on the trailer by 3 - 4 PM before dark and before too many guys start drinking.

I agree there are soo many newbies out there... i lost count how many close calls, i have a Garmin camera on my sled... its a WORLD of evidence as one against one on the trails and no evidence,,, the camera is your best buck. glad your ok.

It sure sucks getting taken out by an idiot. I had the same type of issue a few years back on a trip to Greenland MI, an out of control moron on a Polaris. He came at me all crossed up as I was in a left hander and I was even hanging off the trail on the right side because I know how the idiots ride. Sure sheet here one came around the corner going way too damn fast. He rolled it and got thrown off he started ranting and raving I was in his lane, blah, blah, blah, then I showed him my ski tracks and where I was siting still half off the trail, I read him the riot act right back, boy he changed his tune fast. We went right up to the dealer just up a few blocks, and he paid for my parts order on the spot. Just so happened he was test driving a Polaris from that same dealer, it happened to be Pats Auto and Sports and my good pal Kip made sure I was taken care of and the parts got ordered.

I was going slow and rounded the corner off the trail and here come that Polaris 144" all sideways and already out of control, he was already crashing when he met me and then wanted to blame me. Takes all kinds! Got to be careful out there, especially the lead rider. I've had so many close calls I can't even tell ya.
A few years ago I was up in the Greenland area with MM and some clowns on Yamaha’s that were rented from Kip ran one of the Viper’s they had into a tree right in front of us. It was damaged but they were gonna try and slip it by Kip …hopefully. We had stopped to see if they were OK and they found out we were good customers of Pat’s. They begged us not to tell him. We know Kip too well so we let him know. Those guys were all pissed at us but they were driving like idiots and we are too good of friends with Kip to see him get hosed over. Heck I just bought two Snowscoots from Kip on January 2nd this year.

Sorry about your SRX snowripper but that’s easier to fix than you.

surprisingly it wasn’t too bad. I whacked him pretty hard, made my sled jump up in the rear and knocked my gauge cluster right out. One ski was slightly damaged , mostly the ski loop, both spindles were scratched and gouged, the tie rod end bolt was bent, my roller ski wheel was cracked and that’s about all I could see for now. His sled took it worse than mine, I tore his steering apart for one and his windshield flew off, he said it wasn’t even his sled. I drove off while he was still looking at his busted steering and the SRX handled with no problems but I really need to get it into the garage for a closer look.

This happened on the E trail near Halliburton and after my collision we drove no more than another 2km and there was a brand new Lynx completely destroyed into a tree, parts strewn about everywhere and lots of people looking at it. Apparently it was a couple out alone riding a sled for the first time and maybe the last time, they were fine but that Lynx was toast

Glad you are OK. We have many problems around here in Old Forge and Tug hill. Many deaths and accidents over the years that could have been avoided.Too many people driving over their abilities. I won’t ride these areas on weekends any more. I find some of the nicest areas to ride are in the Quebec Shawinigan area. Lots of flat fast farmlands where you can see far ahead of you.

Back