• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cutting down the Track

sledneck22

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
So I finally was able to cut the track down on my sled for more of a cross-over track. I have the original Stock Maverick on.
What we did was use a hot knife, typically used for regrooving or cutting thread in tires. The wire on the knife gets super hot and we cut off 3/4" of the track. It left the flimsy stock paddles rock hard and no longer curl over. I am hoping this gives me many more miles on the track, helps save slide life and creates a more crossover style track. It made it easy to create a consistant paddle length.
I will post an update throughout the season so everyone knows if this helps or hurts the life of the track.

Attachments

• cuttrack1.JPG
    cuttrack1.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 537
  • cuttrack2.JPG
    cuttrack2.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 501
  • cuttrack3.JPG
    cuttrack3.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 479
  • cuttrack4.JPG
    cuttrack4.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 504

Sweet thanks man. Im thinking about making my MTX into more of a crossover sled too. Have you played with the clutch weights and springs on your sled?

I got about 10,000 KM's (around 6,000 miles) out of my first cut down(1/2" removed) Maverick (08 Nytro). I'm starting to spit paddles now and most of the bases of the paddles are torn. There is a new take-off track sitting on garage floor for trimming with my OLFA knife.

Just an update. On the TY Ride this weekend I actually looked at how many miles I put on... 2400 miles on the cut track and not a lug missing and very very few starting to bend. This is running 5 psi boost now on very hard trails. It seams to make a difference!

Old post, but I sharpened the back side of a sawzall blade on the bench grinder to a knife-like edge. Installed the blade upside down on the sawzall. I laid a piece of 1.5" angle iron across the track which was used as a guide. The lugs cut like butter, and was left with a 1.5" rigid paddle. The entire process was less than 20 minutes total.

We used to put our tracks on backwards after they started bend, they were stiffer for take off but they didn't brake as well. It seemed they were designed to be stiffer that way.The really throw a roost until they straighten back out but that only affects the guys behind you.

Back