• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cylinder head

ricer68

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Apex GT
Was doing my end of season servicing and broke a spark plug off in the head. First 3 came out without any problems. The 4th one popped hard and came out with everything but the threads. The electrode came out but all the threads are still in the head. Any suggestions? How bad is it to pull the heads on these?

Was doing my end of season servicing and broke a spark plug off in the head. First 3 came out without any problems. The 4th one popped hard and came out with everything but the threads. The electrode came out but all the threads are still in the head. Any suggestions? How bad is it to pull the heads on these?

Do not know if it will work. But there is a tool to remove broken plugs from 2004 and up Ford engines. If you try to remove what’s left without pulling the head you will want that cylinder to be at top dead center on the compression stroke. Valves closed. So you can blow any shavings out. Otherwise the safest bet is to pull the head. Worst part my guess is the timing chain alignment.

Its a ton of work to remove the head, you're pretty much disassembling the entire engine bay. Plan on at least 10 hrs to remove it and probably 6-8 to get it back on. Watch the chains, timing, etc on reassembly.

I would try every other option to remove the plug before pulling head. Is there a hole in it? If so a large extractor could work. Good luck ...crappy deal! Remember to use anti-seize on reassembly.

Well no joy...... easy out is in there now. Taking to dealer tomorrow. Guess will be a good time to run the valves while it’s apart. 8500 miles on her so far.

Back