• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

issues after reassembling head - valve clearance/timing or stuck valve??

Rambuctious

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex
due to some water in oil and a plug fouled due to water I removed head cover, and head assuming I blew a head gasket. In the end, I think it was just the severely corroded head cover allowing water down the plug chambers, and I did not really need to pull the head and replace head gasket..

Anyway....Reassembling i had a couple issues getting cam timing right but should be correct now. Problem is, I rotate the engine over by hand and it locks at about #1 exhaust opening.

I did notice when I had the head off, that one lifter fell out and its shim fell out. I replaced.
But I also noticed that two lifters seems to sit higher than the rest? could it be that when sitting the head on its end, that the shims slid to the side of the lifter cans (underneath) and it is not seated properly? setting the lifter too high? curious of thoughts before I pull this cam one more dang time...

The other option could be stuck valve? but why now when it was always fine before and I did not remove any valves?

thanks

If the motor gets tight turning it over by hand you likely have valves hitting the piston and your cam timing is not right.

Check your valve clearances before disassembling, just take a 0.005" feeler gauge and slide it through each spot while turning the motor over.

Make sure your flywheel mark is lined up in the MAG cover correctly. Piston #1 at TDC should line up with the single mark in the flywheel cover.

Thanks. Heading out to reconfirm timing. Will check clearances if i can find my feeler gages. If the shims shifted i should find interference/preload on that cam/lifter
Tks

Sure as $hit, the shims were out of position on three valves or even standing on edge forcing the valves in a preopened position. Now i have one valve keeper half that is out. Whats the trick for this without a special
Tool to press the valve stem?
Uggg

Sure as $hit, the shims were out of position on three valves or even standing on edge forcing the valves in a preopened position. Now i have one valve keeper half that is out. Whats the trick for this without a special
Tool to press the valve stem?
Uggg

Pressurize the cylinder with air so the valve can't fall down, push on the valve spring retainer with a cut out socket or a piece of pipe that's cut out so you can get to the keepers, push down on retainer until keeper can be put back into place.

Thanks
Head is now off since i assumed a c clamp tool would be needed. I will try to fab my own as you suggest other wise i’ll head with the head to the yamaha dealer and have them do it quick.

Back