• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Damn you COVID! -- Trailer prices

Anyone looked at buying a 4 X 8 3/4inch sheet of plywood at Home Depot .Close to $100.00 CDN and apparently in the U.S. also !!!!!!!!!!
Paying more for a used anything, not an antique, than what it cost brand new , reeks of something going wrong in the world .
Houses selling for 30% more than listed that day , without even an inspection clause is very dangerous .
I haven't even looked at what the increase in MSRP from a 17 SW LTX LE to a 22 .
It may be reasonable compared to other commodities .
bought a sheet of exterior plywood that was rough and had plenty of knots, paid $60 for it 2 weeks ago, not so long ago it would have gone for $30. There's a perfect storm for higher prices, demand, slow down in production due to covid, unemployment compensation near wages earned, printing money so fast the machines are smoking, government spending money like drunken sailors ( and I'm a former sailor) slowdown in domestic oil production, increase in foreign oil and dare I say a change in leadership here I the US...seems to me this perfect storm is going to crush the middle class..I'm not an economist but it doesn't take a degree to see what's happening...by the way, how do you like the cost of groceries and gas.
I just hope the price of Stryke skis dont go through the roof because the Tuners I have don't cut the mustard..that's if I can find Stryke skis lol. Seriously folks, if things don't change our extra spending money we use for this sport is going to dry up...Joe

I’m curious if spring ordered snowmobiles are going to ship on time or at all. I think OEMs drew a line in the sand on their supply line providers and were carful they didn’t bite off more than they could deliver. BUT always the possibility a supplier overcommitted. Covid supply line delays are really hitting hard lately the price of paper products has been announced they are going up due to the wood products shortage. Plenty of trees but wood processing is way behind. My daughter works for a WI paper products company and always 30 factory jobs go unfilled in good and bad times. People don’t want to work hard in less desirable work environments but someone has to take these jobs or we will continue to see supply disruptions.

I’m curious if spring ordered snowmobiles are going to ship on time or at all. I think OEMs drew a line in the sand on their supply line providers and were carful they didn’t bite off more than they could deliver. BUT always the possibility a supplier overcommitted. Covid supply line delays are really hitting hard lately the price of paper products has been announced they are going up due to the wood products shortage. Plenty of trees but wood processing is way behind. My daughter works for a WI paper products company and always 30 factory jobs go unfilled in good and bad times. People don’t want to work hard in less desirable work environments but someone has to take these jobs or we will continue to see supply disruptions.
I spring ordered my 2020 SW and it showed up in October of 2020.
But it's hard to say if this year will be worse.

I think it is much larger than Covid. I believe we are in a trade war with China. I work for a very large trucking company, and any part or fitting that is made in China is on National back order! It is crazy, the most simple items you cannot get. Covid was over a year ago! Remember when people panicked and bought all of the toilet paper! If they came out and said China is holding back, people would freak out. My two cents!

I think it is much larger than Covid. I believe we are in a trade war with China. I work for a very large trucking company, and any part or fitting that is made in China is on National back order! It is crazy, the most simple items you cannot get. Covid was over a year ago! Remember when people panicked and bought all of the toilet paper! If they came out and said China is holding back, people would freak out. My two cents!
if it came out to the general population that China is holding back then I believe the American people would demand we find new trading partners to make our cheap stuff. I also believe the American people are not stupid...if high prices and the lack of inventory continue the powers that be will pay the price.
Manufacturing was once done on a wide scale in this country, it moved to Japan, then Taiwan, Korea and now China...it can be moved again. Countries like India and Vietman and certainly a bunch others would be very happy to manufacture more..I'd be nice to see some of those factories move back here, all our stuff gets here by a ship crossing the Pacific...unfortunately we have given our educational institutions, manufacturing and political thought to a red flag. Joe

Last edited:
...it moved to Japan, then Taiwan, Korea and now China...it can be moved again. Countries like India and Vietman and certainly a bunch others would be very happy to manufacture more.

China and the US are essentially locked into a cold war MAD scenario. (mutually assured destruction) China has zero interest in screwing with the US as a trading partner, as it would tank their economy. And the US has no choice but to buy cheap stuff from China, the US is not a manufacturing country that can compete with China, we don't have the labor or the natural resources. (rare earth metals in particular)

The world has spent decades perfecting Just-In-Time supply chains. The weakness of JIT is that a single disruption can have ripple effects that last a LONG time. That is what we are dealing with right now.

China and the US are essentially locked into a cold war MAD scenario. (mutually assured destruction) China has zero interest in screwing with the US as a trading partner, as it would tank their economy. And the US has no choice but to buy cheap stuff from China, the US is not a manufacturing country that can compete with China, we don't have the labor or the natural resources. (rare earth metals in particular)

The world has spent decades perfecting Just-In-Time supply chains. The weakness of JIT is that a single disruption can have ripple effects that last a LONG time. That is what we are dealing with right now.
Plenty of rare earth here US unfriendly environmentally to compete with China in both mining and processing rare earth. Who knows may work out better in the long run deplete China of rare earth then mine ours. Just like coal China buys all our coal we don’t use it due to pollution restrictions.

Plenty of rare earth here US unfriendly environmentally to compete with China in both mining and processing rare earth. Who knows may work out better in the long run deplete China of rare earth then mine ours. Just like coal China buys all our coal we don’t use it due to pollution restrictions.
South Africa, Russia, and other places mine rare minerals, China probably extracts them allot cheaper I would guess. I've been to China...not a place I'd want to go back to...the pollution is so thick it blocks out the sun, its just a yellow sky and you cant tell where the sun is. I was in a shipyard Guanzou ( not sure of spelling) and there would be a bunch of boats around the ship, they would just wait for a scrap of metal to fall into the water and they would retrieve it with a magnet...strangest thing I ever saw...that poor, that desperate.
anyone thinking China has no intent on hurting the US is sadly mistaken..

South Africa, Russia, and other places mine rare minerals, China probably extracts them allot cheaper I would guess. I've been to China...not a place I'd want to go back to...the pollution is so thick it blocks out the sun, its just a yellow sky and you cant tell where the sun is. I was in a shipyard Guanzou ( not sure of spelling) and there would be a bunch of boats around the ship, they would just wait for a scrap of metal to fall into the water and they would retrieve it with a magnet...strangest thing I ever saw...that poor, that desperate.
anyone thinking China has no intent on hurting the US is sadly mistaken..
Chinese government is ruthless doesn’t care about welfare of their people or pollution. Yet libs think they can get their cooperation in a climate agreement regarding air pollution. Good luck with that! Lol

Chinese government is ruthless doesn’t care about welfare of their people or pollution. Yet libs think they can get their cooperation in a climate agreement regarding air pollution. Good luck with that! Lol
hasn't this administration been bought and paid for...the rest of the world is laughing at this Paris Agreement on Climate Change...it's all on the backs of US tax payers and its looking like we're in for some huge increases.

wow has this thread gone off the rails !
Kind of refreshing .
Close to a political discussion but not really .
Atleast it appears this thread will not turn into a Delta box frame VS procross debate !
I don't know who Whitedust , Smoking crator ,Stormbringer ,and Sailor Joe are , but you guys are pretty well nailing it .
I lived thru the Korea/Taiwan/China chase for cheap , and I don't think any one country can take China's place , but a combination of a couple could , but the likelyhood of that happening is slim .
CCP is a ruthless regime , and have created a world that depends on them TOOO much !

North America has for the most part , become one big warehouse !

I'm not really interested in a political discussion. There's enough of that on another forum I'm on. Supply chain info yes. This was started just as a warning documenting my experience trying to buy an accessory to our sport and highlighting Covid's current effect on our economy. Covid did not go away last year. We in Ontario are in our third wave and back to full lockdown.

Oh and still no pricing or delivery date on my trailer. Expected to get info around June. Ugh.

I'm not really interested in a political discussion. There's enough of that on another forum I'm on. Supply chain info yes. This was started just as a warning documenting my experience trying to buy an accessory to our sport and highlighting Covid's current effect on our economy. Covid did not go away last year. We in Ontario are in our third wave and back to full lockdown.

Oh and still no pricing or delivery date on my trailer. Expected to get info around June. Ugh.
sorry to hijack your conversation..yes we went off the rails a bit. Down here there was a real shortage of trailers and backlog, but my buddy just got a new trailer for his smaller excavators and said the inventory is coming back...at least for some trailers.
That place in New Hampshire SAB mentioned would be a good place to get one if you can get over the border. I have to agree with the Covid wave...seems like allot of people I know have had recent bouts with it...it's not gone yet. Joe

Back on track dealer ordered 500 trailers down to 14 new trailers to sell more like odds and ends inventory. Idk what he is going to do maybe have someone answer the phone lay everyone else off. Terrible outcome of Covid supply chain break.

Back