• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Darting Help

phazerwi

Extreme
I've been a lurker on this forum for some time, but never posted anything....until now. Great bunch of people on here, so I hope to get a little help with this issue.

Here's the setup:
2009 Phazer RTX
1.5" Freeride Track
SlyDog Trail Skis
6" Shaper Bars
Limiter strap at 3rd hole from tightest (2 empty holes)
Front Fox Shocks set at 80lbs.
I weigh 210 lbs.

The sled works great in powder or loose trail conditions. No issue there.
The problem is hard pack trail....darting pretty bad at slower speeds. It rails on corners nice, but the darting is getting a little annoying.
I just changed to these skis this winter from the oem yamaha skis with woody's dualies on them. I don't remember any darting with them, but the skis pushed really bad.
I have to think that I have something setup wrong, but I'm not sure where to go from here.
Will the Dualies fit on the Slydogs or is that not possible or a bad idea??
Any help will be appreciated.

phazerwi said:
I've been a lurker on this forum for some time, but never posted anything....until now. Great bunch of people on here, so I hope to get a little help with this issue.

Here's the setup:
2009 Phazer RTX
1.5" Freeride Track
SlyDog Trail Skis
6" Shaper Bars
Limiter strap at 3rd hole from tightest (2 empty holes)
Front Fox Shocks set at 80lbs.
I weigh 210 lbs.

The sled works great in powder or loose trail conditions. No issue there.
The problem is hard pack trail....darting pretty bad at slower speeds. It rails on corners nice, but the darting is getting a little annoying.
I just changed to these skis this winter from the oem yamaha skis with woody's dualies on them. I don't remember any darting with them, but the skis pushed really bad.
I have to think that I have something setup wrong, but I'm not sure where to go from here.
Will the Dualies fit on the Slydogs or is that not possible or a bad idea??
Any help will be appreciated.

When you lift the front of the sled, how to the skis sit? If ski is level or the tip is closer to the ground then you need to shim the ski rubber to get the heel of the ski closer to the ground. I run stock MTX skis, 6" bergstrom triple points, and shims and experience next to no darting at all.

cannondale27 said:
Thats the big one.Also check your toe out.Dont be afraid to have up to 1/2in out if needed.

Is there an instruction on here re how to adjust toe-in-out? I find my Slydog PH and Shapers good except for crusty conditions where they are very unpredictable. But I think that may be the ski keel design rather than an adjustment issue.

thanks,

I second the request for some additional info on setting the toe in/out for us riders that may not have done this before. I have never changed it on any of my sleds over the years, but probably becuase I didn't know I should to get steering.....

Also, on the shimming thing. What is used as the shim? It goes under the rubber block??
Sorry for all the questions, but these little "tricks" sound great, but I don't want to do it wrong and end up worse than before.
Thanks!!

I have the same set up as you except for the track and shock settings. I know what you mean about darting going slow. I think it has to do with the amount of play in the steering system. the skis turn just enough to cause a problem. The reason I think the play is the problem is that when I go for a turn i am always applying pressure to keep the skis where i want them. when going straight (or trying to go straight) the skis "jump" around since there is no pressure.

I am in the process of getting rid of as much play as i can and hopefully this will fix the low speed darting.

Anyone have any thoughts?

phazerwi said:
I second the request for some additional info on setting the toe in/out for us riders that may not have done this before. I have never changed it on any of my sleds over the years, but probably becuase I didn't know I should to get steering.....

Also, on the shimming thing. What is used as the shim? It goes under the rubber block??
Sorry for all the questions, but these little "tricks" sound great, but I don't want to do it wrong and end up worse than before.
Thanks!!

This should explain it:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=ski+shim

Let us know how it works. I would try shims of diffeent thicknesses to see which works best. A piece of hard rubber can also be used for the shim.

forestcity said:
I will probably get blasted for this, but here is the best source I found for ski alignment. Enjoy.......

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php ... pic=277476

I came across this method last week but was afraid to post it. What a simple and great idea.

Definitely check the front suspension bushings, worn out ones cause a lot of looseness and darting.

Also, Slydog skis have generally worked well when they are toed in 1/4 inch...believe it or not.

Grimm said:
forestcity said:
I will probably get blasted for this, but here is the best source I found for ski alignment. Enjoy.......

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php ... pic=277476

I came across this method last week but was afraid to post it. What a simple and great idea.

Definitely check the front suspension bushings, worn out ones cause a lot of looseness and darting.

Also, Slydog skis have generally worked well when they are toed in 1/4 inch...believe it or not.

There ya go a brave Newbie is always refreshing (ahah)! ;)!

I like that method!
For shimming I used a piece of rubber fuelline under the rubber.Anything will work as long as it stays in there.

I tried Bergstrom skegs ski savers and contours to help eliminate darting and since we only have enough snow to ride a few trails i've found it has taken care of my darting as it said it would the kit is very well priced easy to install helps protect your skis from premature wear and includes a shim kit for skis. also a good way to shim rubbers for skis is by taking an old hyfax and using a ttable saw or chop saw find a plce with less wear and make a 1/4 " shim and place under rubber.

Back