• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dead Rage

SugarCampApex

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX LE, 2006 Apex GT
I'm helping a buddy work on an 05 Rage that hasn't been started since 2015. We can only get the middle cylinder to run. Spark test showed a nice hot spark on all three plugs. The outside cylinders do not seen to be getting fuel. We checked the carb bowls and they looked a bit varnished but not too bad and we blew some compressed air thru but same result. Any suggestions? Should we disassemble the needles?

Also, the gauge pod is totally dead. No lights and the RPM needle doesn't even move. Bad ground?

Thoroughly clean the entire fuel system. Those carbed 973's are EXTREMELY sensitive to plugging up and drying up when not ran regularly. And NEVER run ethanol blended crap in them unless it's your only option. That worthless chit sits and festers into jelly in carburetors. 91+ pure gas is the only way to go.

Tank, pump, and carbs all need cleaning. A rebuild kit for the carbs and pump isn't a bad idea either. They are only around $100. The only thing I would suggest NOT replacing if you go the rebuilding route is the slide needles. The plastic "cup" the needle assembly snaps into is now brittle on a 16 year old machine and your chances of breaking one or more is quite high. (ask me how I know) and new throttle valves as Yamaha calls them, are $75/each.

The gauge doesn't light up upon key switching like the EFI sleds. Engine has to be running. Well, actually it can be done for diagnostics. Hold the thumbwarmer switch down and keep holding it when you turn the key to run. It'll take about 5-7 seconds, and the gauge will light up.

It will need some aerosol encouragement from some carb cleaner into the carbs upon initial startup too with lines and carbs being dry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. We tried to get gauge pod on with the trick but it's dead dead.

It's tricky to do sometimes. I'd be very surprised if the gauge is actually dead.

Get it running properly and see what happens.

good compression on all holes?

A big kudos goes out to Mr Sled for his assistance in getting the Rage back to life! He suspected that the jets were plugged, opened the carbs and indeed found that they were plugged. After installing new jets and using some magic spray, the Rage came back to life!
IMG_4933 (2).jpg
IMG_4929 (1).jpg

We believe this is the first time the sled has been running since 2015. The dash came back to life also. Thanks again Mr Sled!

It can't be said enough how these carbed 4strokes have an issue with plugged jets. That is why I always disassemble and clean the carbs, jets, etc and then re-sync then each year on my RX-1. Heck, they even made an emoji for it:
:carbs:

Thanks for the quick reply. We tried to get gauge pod on with the trick but it's dead dead.
The warmer switches are also problematic. I think I was able to take mine apart and burnish the contacts but it was a loooonnngg time ago.

Back