• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dealer Prep??

Preping the sled takes a couple of hours includes bumpers, battery, snow flap, belt, clutch alignment, and the biggest pain the windshield, headlights, and guage pod. I believe the dealership does get a kickback for each sled they put together just like the auto dealers get.

DEALER PREP: is when they put your sled together and scratch it and do not even put it together right and if your lucky it runs when you get it!!

:o|

Regardless if they get paid or not, they'll need to make it right. And don't take it home til you give it the once over. More often than not, you're better off doing everything yourself.

I worked at a (fine) Yamaha dealer until I went back to school. The dealer is expected to include the cost of final assembly in his margin. An RX1 typically takes between 1.5 and 2 hours to prep. If bolts are loose, I would be royally P.O.'ed. Do they have some highschool kid prepping sleds or a real mechanic? If the sled doesn't start, make sure you didn't leave the key on and kill the sled with the kill switch. If you didn't, find out the charging procedure that the dealer uses. Yamaha has gone back and forth on the proper charging procedure for the YTX-20 and YTX-14 batteries. As much as I like Yamaha products, I would sooner drive one of the other (disposable) sleds that I purchased from an excellent dealer than a Yamaha from a poor dealer.

actually

Dealer prep is built into retail pricing and for ex. they add dealer prep ,freight and a percentage of dealer cost to arrive at the retail price. I hope this answers your question.

I thought charging a battery didn't make any difference other than having clean terminals and hooking the negative to the engine block and trickle chanrging it.

impalapower said:
I thought charging a battery didn't make any difference other than having clean terminals and hooking the negative to the engine block and trickle chanrging it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. However, some dealers are in a bit of a rush and prefer to charge the battery at a high rate for a short period of time (1-2 hours). After adding the acid in the battery, you are supposed to let it sit for a while (1 hour) to let the acid completely soak in. If you immediately charge it, the battery will probably not ever be up to spec. When the acid is added, heat is produced. I usually let the battery cool down before charging.

amprage

How many amps did you charge it at. The sealed battery is kinda touchy on this also if they contaminated the battery at all while filling it it can give you some grief. It could just be a bad battery. you are right though it kinda makes you wonder ,What else did they forget? In many cases not speaking for every dealer , they have teenagers put them together and tech check it.

Back