• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering knuckle Venture MP same as Phazer RTX?

Koebes

Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Venture Multipurpose
Hi, I have a 2007 MP with a damaged RH Steering knuckle due to bad A Arm ball bearing and negleted maintenance of previous owner. I found a part trader here in Sweden that has a RH Steering knuckle for a 2009 Venture MP and another one for a 2009 Phazer RTX. For some reason the phazer one is like 40 dollars cheaper. But according to part numbers they are different

8GK-23502-10-00 for MP adn 8GK-23502-01-00 for Phazer. Are they just different on the paper, or what is the difference?

I also have to change carbides, Mine are worn and only like 1 inch long. Steering has loads of play so after the season I will also do the uppgrades i found in the FAQ. Is it worth investing in new carbides or shall I directly invest a new and better pair of skis ? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks, Nils

Welcome to TY!

The knuckle is different on the MP. It is wider than the Phazer's. If you must, you could probably change both to the Phazer's. I don't know why they made them wider than the Phazer's. Maybe to be stronger?

Is the knuckle ground down by the ball joint? I had that problem on my son's Phazer. I had a welder fill in the gouges after which I then filed it down flat. I then had them powder coated. If the spindle ends are ovaled, there isa kit available to fix that from @upbushman

Steering looseness is caused by worn steering parts and bad design. Check the FAQ for steering kits and parts to replace and improve them.
Venture Lite & Multipurpose Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks guys, I found another one for a MP today that I was able to trade with some other sled parts. I am based in Sweden, so shipment from the US might be a bit expensive. I want to keep the broken one (looks like you described it Mooeseman) because I am thinking about upgrading the bearing with ball bearing similar to those on my wifes Skidoo 550 GTX. They are closed on the top and conical bottom. So much more bearing surface. I would cut away the brocken part and weld in a new piece of aluminium. But that is some project for the future. I already read the FAQ. I think I have all steering problems at once so a bit of work there :)

In regard to your skis ... if you have the original ones that came on the sled (VKs ?) then they may be ok depending on your use. In 2014 Yamaha switched to Tuners on this model and they were completely useless on anything except packed conditions. I went with 8 inch wide PowderHounds and am very happy with them.

i caught the spindle on my phazer in time as a previous owner had forgotten to put one of the washers in on the lower ball joint. i was able to use 2 part epoxy to fill in the groove and then i filed it flat to put the new lower control arm in there with the proper washers.

New ball bearings purchased as well as an oilon bushing kit for the A arms. But as usual instead of fixing this problem I have to deal with a brand new issue. We had 20cm snow this night and I went for a ride on the tracks around town. It was like gliding on silk :) First one to use the tracks after the snow came. But almos home the sled started ratcheting in the forward gear. I will continue in the FAQ with that story.
Pretty sure I have the original skis. Next purchase is a pair of ski runners. Any sugestions? Woodys 1/2" with 4" or 6" carbide for roughly 100dollars? cheapest is SMA-8EN10-21 7/16" with 6" carbide. around 60 dollars. (In Sweden)
While digging out the servo this afternoon I found some more worn out ball bearings. Overall build quality of this sled is nice, but the the steering and the reverse mechanism are just crap.

I hate to tell you but that ratcheting in forward is likely the reverse gear box. Been there with my son's Phazer. It's an internal issue with the shift fork and dog gears.

Back