• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

diognostics flash code

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
Went for a spin tonight with my 03 rx1. Got 15 mile out and had a flashing warning light and engine light. Of course I thought the worst and just limped it home. It still ran great but I was very concerned. Checked my service manual and with great releif found out that it was a "grip warmer short circuit" code. Dodged a bullet there. I checked the grip warmer section in my service manual, "HOLY BAT #*$&@" pretty complicated for a measily grip warmer. I can read prints pretty good, I was a pipefitter and HVAC repair guy, so blue print reading is not new to me. But to make my life a bit easier, is there a common problem that occurs to these grip warmers that I can try first instead of pulling most of my hair out tracing wires.

Check by the ECU There will be a Blue/white(I think) wire there that is probably rubbed through. Does it want to max out the grip warmer and not let you bring it down a few bars?

Anyway print out a wiring diagram, or just start tracing/testing wires at the grip warmer switch. One will have connectivity to ground that it shouldn't have.

You will want to test resistance to ground on your grip warmers(unplugged).

I did a continuity test on each grip. The right has continuity but the left doesn't. The grips have always been a bit loose since I got it so I guess the twisting of the grip finally caught up to me.
I will have to order new grips.
Thanks for the reply,

I always wondered if Apex grips would work on the RX1. They have the hooks built in and heat all the way to the tip. Now that would be a nice upgrade since you have to anyways.

Back