• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

disappointed with yamaha & warranty coverage (resolved)

pwa said:
ecopter said:
pwa said:
ecopter said:
I don't appreciate the foul inferred language. Be professional, please. No, I don't check those items on my car prior to every drive, nor does my owner's manual tell me to. The powersports one's do.

I hope you get it covered. But you should also understand that it's clearly defined that you may not.

Good luck.

The funniest about this is that you are not checking vitals on your car because of lack of instructions. Glad that you are not my helicopter driver. Bad things can happens to a car to... You know!

Are you really failing to see the intent here? Obviously. This is about warranty coverage with regards to the "small print" and how it relates to certain issues. If the owner's manual requires the owners to inspect things, thus possibly affecting whether or not something is covered, then the owner ought to be out there performing "said" maintenance. Yes, I would be inspecting certain car parts if the manufacturer felt it necessary to place such a clause in their consumer information.

And since it seems many of you involved in this post lack the comprehension required to understand some "between the lines" sarcasim, I'm going to refrain from any explantion. I'd be wasting my precious energy typing...

Yes it was sarcasm from my side but I agree with you on what you are saying. Basic maintenance and look it over so everything seems to be in order and Yes read the manual from time to time.

But I think that OEM's should have visual seals on vital parts or pins trough the bolt because lots of ppl does not check their sled not even after a lighter three hit.

That would probably be a good idea.....and yes, regardless of any requirements on our part as consumers, very few are going to comply with all that's required. Many are fuel and go folks. I can understand both sides of this. My guess is being a powersports item, they endure greater stresses and are typically ridden harder than the average car.

Anyway, my intent wasn't to hammer anybody, only to point out what our expectations are with relation to that in the manual. Heck, even some of the car manufacturers are getting fairly strict with proven documentation of ALL scheduled maintenance (regardless of how basic) to determine whether of not they'll utilitze the warranty if needed.

I say it should be covered by the warranty. But its one of those issues we just have to deal with as sledders. The grass is not greener on the other side.

Can not compare car maintenance to sled maintenance. If you maintain your sled the same as a car, your going to have problems.

ecopter said:
pwa said:
ecopter said:
pwa said:
ecopter said:
I don't appreciate the foul inferred language. Be professional, please. No, I don't check those items on my car prior to every drive, nor does my owner's manual tell me to. The powersports one's do.

I hope you get it covered. But you should also understand that it's clearly defined that you may not.

Good luck.

The funniest about this is that you are not checking vitals on your car because of lack of instructions. Glad that you are not my helicopter driver. Bad things can happens to a car to... You know!

Are you really failing to see the intent here? Obviously. This is about warranty coverage with regards to the "small print" and how it relates to certain issues. If the owner's manual requires the owners to inspect things, thus possibly affecting whether or not something is covered, then the owner ought to be out there performing "said" maintenance. Yes, I would be inspecting certain car parts if the manufacturer felt it necessary to place such a clause in their consumer information.

And since it seems many of you involved in this post lack the comprehension required to understand some "between the lines" sarcasim, I'm going to refrain from any explantion. I'd be wasting my precious energy typing...

Yes it was sarcasm from my side but I agree with you on what you are saying. Basic maintenance and look it over so everything seems to be in order and Yes read the manual from time to time.

But I think that OEM's should have visual seals on vital parts or pins trough the bolt because lots of ppl does not check their sled not even after a lighter three hit.

That would probably be a good idea.....and yes, regardless of any requirements on our part as consumers, very few are going to comply with all that's required. Many are fuel and go folks. I can understand both sides of this. My guess is being a powersports item, they endure greater stresses and are typically ridden harder than the average car.

Anyway, my intent wasn't to hammer anybody, only to point out what our expectations are with relation to that in the manual. Heck, even some of the car manufacturers are getting fairly strict with proven documentation of ALL scheduled maintenance (regardless of how basic) to determine whether of not they'll utilitze the warranty if needed.

Most of the car manufacturers in this country is very strict about service points and you must use a certified service station. So I agree there to and for a terrain vehicle like a sled you should look it over for your own safety.

But some ppl just use their sled on the trail and they consider the sled to be more or like a car on snow. In my case using a M8 out in the back country I know I must check front suspension for stress damage and I know that it is not a warrenty issue because it depends on how I drive.

For example (simply). I have a two stroke with tree years of warranty on the engine. If I drive it in a way that I directly induce damage on the engine by not filling oil, driving when the temp varning goes or whatever. Then I have a problem and it is not a warranty problem.

Most warranty I know are about direct fault from the OEM. Like the engine does not get oil due faulty oil pump in the first year or whatever the warranty time is.

Bottom line , was this taken care of completely by Yamaha and the dealer?? Enough of the other garbage that is merely just you opinion... I need to know the final results!!

MrSled said:
Bottom line , was this taken care of completely by Yamaha and the dealer?? Enough of the other garbage that is merely just you opinion... I need to know the final results!!

page 3 post 11

I really dont understand how yamaha determines who they will cover and who they wont cover.. Ive personally had 2 rear shocks replaced at ($1850 each) and my entire exhaust replaced under my YES plan.. Over $5000 in parts..

And ive had friends with minor stuff that was clearly not their faults that couldnt get stuff warrantied

My dealer told me this.. ALWAYS LIE ABOUT THE MILAGE...

I dont think milage should have anything to do with the warranty.. a year is a year..

this is one reason why i dont buy warranties, yes they are good to have, but id rather not deal with the garbage and issues. i save up front and just have to eat anything that comes down the road! :o|

welterracer said:
I really dont understand how yamaha determines who they will cover and who they wont cover.. Ive personally had 2 rear shocks replaced at ($1850 each) and my entire exhaust replaced under my YES plan.. Over $5000 in parts..

And ive had friends with minor stuff that was clearly not their faults that couldnt get stuff warrantied

I dont think milage should have anything to do with the warranty.. a year is a year..

the last time i had warranty work done it was replacing a cracked oil tank.
i called yamaha first. but i did this because my warranty ran out in october and i found the leak in november. i figured i would have to plead my case to the warranty dept first and get an approval before i wasted my time bringing it to the dealer for a refusal. they covered me under warranty with no problems.
Im thinking next time myself or my friend who rides yamaha has an issue we will call yamaha direct from the trail and get the issue registered with yamaha first. then bring it to the dealer.

RTX said:
welterracer said:

i called yamaha first. but i did this because my warranty ran out in october and i found the leak in november. i figured i would have to plead my case to the warranty dept first and get an approval before i wasted my time bringing it to the dealer for a refusal. they covered me under warranty with no problems.
Im thinking next time myself or my friend who rides yamaha has an issue we will call yamaha direct from the trail and get the issue registered with yamaha first. then bring it to the dealer.

Please check your PMs, I have a question?

MrSled said:
RTX said:
welterracer said:

Please check your PMs, I have a question?

i replyed to your pm.

Re: disappointed with yamaha & warranty coverage

RTX said:
I have a buddy with a 2009 nytro.
the bolt that holds the upper aarm to the spindle came loose and fell out while he was riding. fortunately he did not get hurt.
this caused considerable damage to the spindle and some minor damage to the shock.
He has yes and his warranty claim was denied. To me ,this just does not seem right. Yamaha says he should have noticed the bolt was loose and tightened it himself. we check our rides every day and this bolt was absolutely tight before we started riding that day.
All he wants is a replacement spindle. He is even willing to pay the labor to get it changed and yamaha wont take care of him.
I did some searching on here and found that over 30 people in 7 different threads have had the same bolt loosen on them.
i am sickened by this. this absolutely NEVER EVER should happen on a steering component. its a piss poor design and an even porer response by yamaha. even articcat is smartenough to do a recall when it involves steering components. Is someone going to have to die for them to recognise they have a duty to thier customers to fix problematic products like this??
honestly my disgust with this situation is beyond words and it didnt even happen to me.
i told him to write to the cpsc but after reading everything i have read on this site i think i might just print it all out and contact the cpsc myself

What was your buddy doing when the spindle just fell off was it a JRA (just riding along) were are the pictures from the accident site at to back up this post?

I would like to see were that arm was digging in to the snow when it seperated , tell me what the arm end did when the bolt fell out did the spindle go thru the belly pan.

My crew up here has been riding Yamahas for years , we have had them all and NEVER have I heard from anyone face to face about this failure , lets face it its easy to start rumors online , if Yamaha had a issue like this do you think for 1 minute they would not do a recall , think about it 100+ mph sled with the front end falling off.

I will pass this along to someone I know at Yamaha and give them a heads up , and ask about bolts falling out BTW have you or your buddy taken them parts off in the past or are they untouched , beacuse Yamaha has a dye on there bolts and can tell if the bolts were tampered with in the past.

Show us some facts before you throw Yamaha under the bus.

Thank You In Advance

What was your buddy doing when the spindle just fell off was it a JRA (just riding along) were are the pictures from the accident site at to back up this post?

I would like to see were that arm was digging in to the snow when it seperated , tell me what the arm end did when the bolt fell out did the spindle go thru the belly pan.

My crew up here has been riding Yamahas for years , we have had them all and NEVER have I heard from anyone face to face about this failure , lets face it its easy to start rumors online , if Yamaha had a issue like this do you think for 1 minute they would not do a recall , think about it 100+ mph sled with the front end falling off.

I will pass this along to someone I know at Yamaha and give them a heads up , and ask about bolts falling out BTW have you or your buddy taken them parts off in the past or are they untouched , beacuse Yamaha has a dye on there bolts and can tell if the bolts were tampered with in the past.

Thank You In Advance[/quote]

not sure why your getting all pissy with me. i have been a member on this site for years, I have never caused any trouble or posted anything like this before and you come on like your the TY police and start making accusations that im a liar. why would i put my reputation in jeapordy on this site for something that didnt happen to me unless it was true :o|

First off i never said the spindle fell off. Please get your facts straight before you start another supposed rumor.
we were riding off trail at aproximately 30 mph in deep snow.

page 1 post 11 has a link to all the other liars that had this happen to them too

we have some picts but they are not on my phone. they are on my friends phone. when your friends from yamaha contact me i will be happy to give them the picture. they can forward them to you.

if the top bolt falls out of the spindle how the heck could the spindle get past the shock absorber to puncture the belly pan???
the spindle fell out away from the sled but because the lower ball joint is still attached to the spindle the assy is still attached to the sled. i suggest you look at an a-arm suspension if you still cant figure this one out.

just because you have never encountered a failure or heard of a specific failure don't mean it never happened. just this past weekend i hit a wash out and it snapped the schrader valve in half on my mega float. you ever seen that happen?? because you didnt see or hear of it is it also a lie??

i am excited to hear from anyone you may know at yamaha. be it the parts boy at your local dealership or the president of the corporation.
when you have them ready to talk you can contact me at the email address i just pm'd you.

bolt coming loose

It happened to my 2011 xtx within 500 miles so yes it does happen. It was fixed by the dealer I am not sure if warranty or dealer just took care of it. I was talking to a guy last year out of the canada and he told me he had the same issue but was not so lucky. He was injured but I can not remember how bad I would be lying if I said.
I know he is on this site and hcs.

RoyalBlue said:
RTX said:
I have a buddy with a 2009 nytro.
the bolt that holds the upper aarm to the spindle came loose and fell out while he was riding. fortunately he did not get hurt.
this caused considerable damage to the spindle and some minor damage to the shock.
He has yes and his warranty claim was denied. To me ,this just does not seem right. Yamaha says he should have noticed the bolt was loose and tightened it himself. we check our rides every day and this bolt was absolutely tight before we started riding that day.
All he wants is a replacement spindle. He is even willing to pay the labor to get it changed and yamaha wont take care of him.
I did some searching on here and found that over 30 people in 7 different threads have had the same bolt loosen on them.
i am sickened by this. this absolutely NEVER EVER should happen on a steering component. its a piss poor design and an even porer response by yamaha. even articcat is smartenough to do a recall when it involves steering components. Is someone going to have to die for them to recognise they have a duty to thier customers to fix problematic products like this??
honestly my disgust with this situation is beyond words and it didnt even happen to me.
i told him to write to the cpsc but after reading everything i have read on this site i think i might just print it all out and contact the cpsc myself

Thank You In Advance

Yes..it DOES happen on the Nytros. Three other guys I ride with had this EXACT same issue happen....minus all the damage it caused.

Any Yamaha issue a RECALL??? hahaha. That is laughable. They issue "Tech Bulletins" and make their consumers pay for the fixes.

Back