• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DMC top gear wear (good things)

yea i have scots gear and one from venom, i could send them one.... but dont know where to send???

The stock FOX springs are NOT high quality.
My front rear spring broke & i believe it's why my tunnel folded needing a WHOLE new chassis.
HYGEAR replaced them & told me i was NOT the first guy. The most common shock with spring failure.

I NOW rebuild all every year, but i'm also putting on 5000 miles a year.
The first rebuild i get them re-sprung if HYGEAR has better.

P.S:
I seem to be spending more & more $ every year cuz of what's happened to me since owning a Sidewinder.
I actually consider it an Omen. Lessons of life.
The riding season is sooo short & unpredictable, that an extra $500 is peace of mind.
I feel what you are saying. I have 18 XTX with hygear pro linkage and have had a lot of suspension problems. i have Custom Axcis shocks from Hygear that i broke the springs and they sent me shock with valving snocross stiff. i did get the shocks corrected from another suspension service. my lower front shock shaft broke, had a friend machine me a new one out of material used to make hyd. cylinders on equipment. no more problem there. my H arm that mounts the front shock broke in several places, bought a new one and had it reinforced before installing it, all of my wheels had to be replaced, had upper shaft failure that holds the wheels that the track rides on, another custom part machined, changed upper gear a few times, just put new bearing on lower drive shaft behind brake caliper for piece of mind because i have 6K miles on now. I love the sled and ride in Maine on trails that are 95% table top smooth, my sled looks like it has 300 miles on it not 6,000. i really pull a lot of maintenance between each ride. it costs money and a lot of work to keep these Sidewinders running.

Finally got to install dmc top gear in chain case, after doing per video the gear has back in forth movement about thickness of one of snap rings is this normally? One stock thrust washer and snap ring left over. Any replies please thanks

If you followed the directions, your fine.. IMO you want SOME wiggle room on that gear. The gear will go where that chain goes. Some may disagree with me, as I remember some were putting shims in back in 2017 to lessen this wiggle room and possibly move the gear to better align with the chain travel.. I have a 22 DMC that I need to put in.. Waiting for some chain stretch. Its a damn tight fit with a new chain and gear.

Maybe more will chime in that installed that gear..

Thanks, kinda what I was thinking just wondering what majority doing happy sledding!!!!

Finally got to install dmc top gear in chain case, after doing per video the gear has back in forth movement about thickness of one of snap rings is this normally? One stock thrust washer and snap ring left over. Any replies please thanks
It is designed that way. I called the maker of the gear when mine did the same. He said purposely made that way. You're good.

Thank you very much happy safe sledding !!

Have I installed the drive chain and reverse gear chain correctly? Should they be directed outward or inward?
Screenshot_20220507_133234_com.android.gallery3d_edit_296408829126123.jpgScreenshot_20220507_133227_com.android.gallery3d_edit_296372757557900.jpg

Last edited:
Cat and Yamaha don't make a 25 gear as far as I know, and DMC doesnt make gears. Scott Taylor does so they would have to buy the gear machine it then drop one of their brass bushings in it.
Cat has a 25 tooth gear. I run one in my sled.

So for the 24 tooth people what is the max gear bottom we can run? I thought I had the 25 top tooth but looks like it's the 24.

Maybe it will be useful to someone if we talk about this information.
The following values are specified in the operating manual for Russia for Viper. I think 24 teeth is the maximum value.
Screenshot_20220509_215849.jpg

Back