• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do it yourself Turbo Kit

Snow Fever

Expert
Just want to say again that my typing hasn't improved much or my spelling so bare with me as we go. Well I have been working on it for a few days now. Hit a couple of snags one being the bearings on my Areo Charger Turbo were screwed, the other is good luck getting parts for this thing now. I guess that why Bender didn't stick with them. So plan "B" Mitsibushi yep your garden variety Dodge Daytona 1988 or newer Turbo 2. Price @ the auto wreckers 150 dollars Canadian which is about 45 bucks U.S. (Ha Ha) Won't work you say? Yes it will and I have done all the calculations I know how, short of making a compressor map and as a bonus I found a guy that has one on a RX-1 al'a Bender style set up and he has the same Turbo as mine just that his is out of a 1990 car and mine is out of a 88'. Here's the real joke though, if the one you find is pooched, a complete cartridge that takes 10mins to re and re costs 301 dollars U.S. and you can change it your self its easy. My turbo is good so I don't need to do that. My Auto Wreckers had 3 of these in stock. These turbos have the oil line run to them like the MC Express but they also have a line for water cooling as well, Hmmm wonder if that line that runs to the carbs for heat lines up? Yep and with a turbo you don't need carb heat. (Compressed air is hot so the carbs will never freeze) I have it mounted already in the same place as the MC Express and I built a cross between a Header and Log style exaust manifold to get the exaust to the turbo. Lots of measuring but at a cost of 90 dollars Canadian and its built. (You do your own calculations from here on to U.S. dollars, the coversion is 1 Canadian dollar = next to nothing U.S.) I am using basic hand tools, a compressor, die grinder and a wire feed welder. Its just your time (if you have a welder you can get your hands on) and I will have to farm out the tank (I can't weld aluminum) But I'm sure the project will come in under 1500.00 dollars Canadian. I have some of the items from my other turbo set ups so my cost will be less because I won't have to purchase fuel pump, hobb switch, some clamps, a relay, barbs or an air filter. I will post as I go and I have been taking lots of pictures so if they get the upload link working I will post them and explain what I did. Hey what else ya going to do when your in the middle of the poor Sled'n season?

If your not worried about the turbo lag you could mount this thing where the muffler is and I would guess you could do that install for well under 1000 dollars Canadian in less then a week. It would be very simple but you will have lag. I found a site that has tons of parts (OEM as well as MAJOR MODS for this Turbo to run it up to 24lbs of boost) so pick your poison! This is the site "LRE Lambros Racing Engineering" (314) 725-7181 or I think this is the web address http://home.earthlink.net/~jcs4lre?index.htm I did several days of research on this project and it will work, and I have seen a working model with this turbo in the back and he has been running it ALL year at 6lbs boost on pump gas with no intercooler and no gasket to drop the compression, ALL YEAR! If you are needing to go over 7lbs boost then you should run a intercooler and guess what? These too are in the same car, you would just need to change the spigots for you application. I will not be running the intercooler because 6lbs is enough for me and I don't want the extra lag time to fill it as well as the weight. The guys I have spoke with say that the MC has No Lag so without the intercooler it will be even better. My charge tube from the turbo to the air box looks like it will be 10-11 inches but I will report when I get that complete. Just want to add that if money was no object I would buy the MC kit or maybe even the Bender because they are both excellent kits and my hats off to MC for that header they built holy sh!$. But I'm riding on a welfair budget and I do like trying to make things myself for my Boats, Motorcycles, Airplanes, Cars, Trucks and SLEDS.

What is the release date for the Snow Fever Inc. turbo kit?

Can I buy the first one?

I don't know about a release date but the launch will be this summer on the grass. Don't wait for the book to come out see the movie. Hey if those new 900 Cats and that new 159"x 16 Rev go like they should this should be a great equalizer. Can you say KILLAGE! :wink:

As a bonus its a Mitsibushi Turbo which is Japanese so HELL, I say she still stock but it might be pushing the envolope a bit?

Stock

I think you call that Mod Stock :twisted:

I am posting these pics for Snow Fever. I think he's doing a good job and I want to thank Rob for taking the time to share this info with us

This is how its sits installed

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0150.jpg

I am posting these pics for Snow Fever.

This is that FU FU valve you need on the air box to bleed off pressure so the turbo stays spooled. Call one of the turbo shops they should know what it is really called?

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg

I am posting these pics for Snow Fever.

This is a picture of the exhaust I built last August worked GREAT sounds wicked. Then a shot of the Aero dyne Turbo that the bearing are pooched. Got a guy that wants it for his Harley.

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

Looks awesome.

You sure you don't want to sell me one?

You need Beta testers you know

Hey fever,great job and nice pics thanks to warrier,u guys are the balls. So fever do u need to hack up your gas tank any,as mc does? I would like to keep all of that in tact,we will most likely need the extra range w/extra h.p. vie turbo,w/out the intercooler,do u think on max boost w/min. octane that is safe to run what is your best guess on h.p. over 180????? i hope. he he :lol:

Back