• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do it yourself Turbo Kit

Hooper, having the pipes all the same dimensions is a plus for ultimate h.p. and Turbo effiecency but at 6lbs a log style should work fine, the car it came out of just runs a normal exhaust manifold like on a Chevy truck and they have run up to 24lbs boost and stock they are 14lbs. Guess I'll be the 1st to know and I'll let you guys know if something doesn't work right or if I make any changes. MXZ900, if the Turbo is a bit big the benifit will be less heat build up and they do say its better to be on the BIG side then the small as the small will spool up faster but creates more heat in the mid range and top end making it less effiecent and produce less power. This is out of the book by Corky Bell called "Maximum Boost" cost was 52 dollars Canadian but is excellent if your trying to put a turbo on something. Good reading and alot of myths are explained in great detail.

I am posting these pics for Snow Fever

Turbo header update

header.jpg

header2.jpg

header3.jpg

Yea, if this all works I'll have to get them coated. Got a little more done today I'll send you the pictures RX-Warrior. Thanks for posting the last ones.

I am posting these pics for Snow Fever

1st picture is the exhaust end just fitted, 2nd shot is the controller installed, 3rd picture is testing the controller set up for 6lbs (I made the controller adjustable which will do two things, 1- set it up for 6lbs boost and 2- it will now hold the waste gate closed longer to build boost faster when going in and out of the throttle) 3rd shot is another angle of the exhaust and where it exits through the tunnel, (screwed up when I cut the hole gonna have to make it a bit smaller on the one side) I didn't think it was worth the effort to make that snake bend to exit out the original hole like MC did but if I guy was so inclined there is enough room, This way uses up no more of the tanks room then theirs just that you have to make a hole in the top of the tunnel but the again it will flow smoother and build less heat in that area. The diffuser that I built that bolts to the back of the turbo for the exiting exhaust is very similar to the one that came with this turbo off the car. They say a diffuser is a good thing with a turbo because a turbo makes the exhaust gases spin like a tornado and that bad but when you build something like this it stops that. The last shot is under the tunnel and you can see where the pipe comes out.

turbo-e.jpg

turbo-t.jpg

turbo-g.jpg

turbo-ee.jpg

turbo-b.jpg

I think we can all agree that Snow Fever is deftly committed to this turbo project.keep up the good work Snow Fever I cant wait to see a video clip of your sled tearing up your lawn.

I'm hoping to be testing it in 2 weeks, we still have a place right now that has snow so if the weather stays like it has been here I might get a chance to try it in the mountains.

Well here's a bit of an update, I started the week checking into either building a new tank or having the original one modified. Cost of building a new one out of aluminum started as low as 600 dollars to as high as 1800 dollars and they were just estimates so who knows when the dust settles what it would really be. There is a place 500 miles from my house that say they can and do rebuild plastic gas tanks but I just don't like the idea of a patch that close to the Turbo. So plan "C" Did some checking on some welders and went to a shop here that had what I was looking for and they actually set one up at their shop for doing aluminum and let me play with it for about a 1/2hr. This bad boy is so sweeeeet, up till now I just had a 80amp Miller wire feed with no gas but this thing has the gas and is 170amp. Anyways welding 1/8" aluminum with this thing is like coloring with a crayon (easy) so I bought it and figure that the price of the welder will be covered by the price of the Tank, Air box, Charge tube and the rear heat exchanger I want to make for the back of the tunnel and when its all said and done I still have a wicked welder. Already sold my old one for 300 bucks and the new one was 850. I had to build a new cart to move this thing around but I'm all set up now and starting today I'm beginning work on the air box (making templates) when I get it done I'll takes some pictures.

Hey Spray25, if your ever looking for some new riding areas make a run up here, we have lots of every kind of riding here. My buddies and I like the technical boon docking stuff the best. We have a place we go to lots that gets 1-2' of fresh a week from late Dec on and this place has tons of real tough riding. Seperates the boys that can point and shoot at a hill and the ones that can actually ride. Thats why throttle response is so important to me and why I'm doing my own turbo install. This type of riding doesn't lend its self well to average sleds. Takes a good set up and a guy that can ride it. Hope mine works and if it does hope I can HANG ON. Wouldn't that be a nice problem, having trouble HANG'N ON. YEA BABY!!!!

Snow fever;
Spray and I can both be your best friends! If you like boondocking and technical riding, I would love to hook up with you. That is all I look for. Trail riding is for the flat landers. Maybe Spray and I could make a road trip next winter and you could show us around B.C. How's that for inviting myself?
SS

Silver Streak said:
Snow fever;
Spray and I can both be your best friends! If you like boondocking and technical riding, I would love to hook up with you. That is all I look for. Trail riding is for the flat landers. Maybe Spray and I could make a road trip next winter and you could show us around B.C. How's that for inviting myself?
SS

What time should I pick you up? Think Snow Fever will be selling turbo kits by then?

Back