• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you guys with RX1's experience track howl like RS's do?

LazyBastard said:
Try tightening your limiter straps a bit. If its making THAT much noise, the front of the rails must be catching on the track windows.

I would start there - I never really noticed "track howl" until I went 136" and added a 4th wheel kit. I also noticed the front of my hyfax extremely worn in the front, compared to the rest of the length. Since I am still esentially tweeking my ride, I suspect that I need to go tighter on the limiters myself.

BTW: I never used to pay attention until someone mentioned the term "track howl"

My track/suspension? is very, very noisy. At lower speeds it is by far it is the loudest track noise I have ever experienced.

If I hop on my 1997 Storm SE (with a 1.25" 9860) and go for a ride, it (the whole noise experience) is quieter than my 2005 RX-1. With my RX-1, most of the noise is the track and it's hard to hear the engine when moving (unless at WOT).

Now that it has 9200 kms on it and the track is falling to pieces, the sound levels have finally started to drop off a little. The track is still much louder than the engine at low speeds though.

I would really like to find a fix. Hopefully the new track will be quieter (pre-punched Ripsaw 9955H144).

The problem is the motor is too quiet. When my buddy start they 2-stroke i didn't even hear mine running.

I have sound problem too, i heard a bip bip when i'm on reverse :drink:

Oh, the biggest is to hear big chunk of ice hit the sled behind me. Ouhhhhh Stay away of my 2incher trail ripper ;)!

All I can say about this is that you guys who think we only hear it because it's a 4 stroke and the engine is quiet must not have loud tracks. The noise is VERY loud, not a hum, definitely a HOWL. The funny thing is that my wife's Vector is nowhere near as loud as my RX-1, and they use the same track. It is something to do with the combination of the Monoshock RA and the Ripsaw I think. Very very loud. Way louder than any 2 stroke sled I ever owned.

I rode back to back on a new RX-1(whose owner and girlfriend where complaining about the track noise) and my Vector. The Rx-1 owner agreed that the track noise on the Vector was at least double his RX-1. This noise is not because of the lack of engine noise. I have talked to 3 dealers and all say the same thing. There is no fix but many people are complaing about it. According to the Customer Disservice Dept. at Yamaha there is not a problem. I guess we all have over sensitive hearing.

My track makes tons of noise from about 25 to 45 mph. Seems to get quieter the faster I go. Its not just because of the increased wind noise or engine noise. It seems to have certain speed where the track resonates. Wierd. Always done it and hasn't gotten any better or worse. Dunno, but it is annoying.

Under 50mph its so loud that my wife won't ride it. Next year Im going to put the Arctic Cat Rip-Saw on it. I would love to just here my motor when riding.

isnt this kind of like big tires on a truck. the bigger they r the louder they hum. i'd take track noise over not havin grip on snow...can u say asphault track?

I haven't any problems with track howl on my Warrior, it was far more noisy on my Viper and I located it to come from when the snow hits the snowflap because the Viper had wider lugs on the track, thus throwing wider chunks of snow backwards against the flap.

Another thing that did made alot of noise was when I changed the hyfax and the new hyfaxes wasn't rounded off at the back so when the iron in the track went past the end it made a terrible howling noise. When I rounded it off quite a bit, the howling sound get much lesser.

If you hear the howel you will know what they are talking about. When I went for my first two rides I was woundering what these guys were talking about. The 05-RX1 was quiet, just the normal sled noise but with the sweet 4 stroke sound. Then I rode over marginal snow conditions and the sliders took a beating. Then the howeling started. It gets so loud I was thinking about wearing ear plugs. I changed the sliders before I went on a 1300 mile ride to Canada. The howling was gone. On the way to St. Georges the snow conditions turned to ice trails and the sliders smoked away. I took it easy due to the conditions. The howel returned. Had them changed again, had many miles to go and did not want to take a chance on going past the limit. After replacing snow conditions improved. Broke the new ones in, no howling. Now the sliders still look almost new in 1500 miles. No howling. Could it be the way the sliders wear (wavy) and track tension combined?

Might be the Yamaha hyfax. Anyone running aftermarket sliders and not getting the howl? If its a $20 fix, count me in. Does anyone get the howl with a different track? The wavy hyfax idea makes sense to me as the noise on mine is definately a resonance like vibration sound. Not like a bearing or bad wheel, more like a piercing, humming sound. Howl is certainly a good description of it.

I tried a 1" Ice Claw track. As hard as it is to believe the howl was even worse! But less vibration . The Ice Claw has machined clips that tend to build ice on them. It seemed even louder once ice built up. I also run the larger front wheels and SLP pads. No noise help from either. I really believe it has to do with the clips hitting the hyfax as I can tell exactly how fast I am going by the pitch of the howl.

"The Howl"....... :D Sounds like a bad horror movie or something.

".........and then, out of no where............THE HOWL STRUCK!....putting fear in the hearst of man" :D :drink:

Back