• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you guys with RX1's experience track howl like RS's do?

One more thing I just thought of kinger is on the 03s they have a heat shield under the tunnel or muffler.I remember guys complaining they loosen up and rattle and buzz.The 05 dont have this shield so its something ive never had to deal with.

As I mentioned in other threads, I fixed the noise on my 05 RX-1 prior to the second season of use. During the first season the noise was horrible at low speeds. I am convinced the noise was a harmonic coupled resonance between the exhaust and the track/idlers/etc.

Unfortunately I changed a bunch of things so I don't know what fixed it or if the combination of changes all contributed. The sled was very quiet after I:

- Installed a pre-punched (for studs) Ripsaw track from tracksusa.com.
- Machined the inner idler wheel mounts for 2004 idler wheels (6205 bearing) and installed 2004 RX-1 idler wheels (wider, heavier, and much more rubber than the 05 (no rubber) and 06/07 idlers).
- Installed 144 1.325" Woodys Gold Diggers using the pre-punched pattern.
- Installed an Ulmer clutch kit which slightly altered the cruising rpms at low speeds.

The difference was like night and day. During the first season the noise was so bad (once the hyfax wore down a little) that my ears would ring and I would end up with headaches if I rode at certain (low) speeds for too long. During the second season the noise was gone and all that was left was a little normal track noise and the great sounding exhaust note. You could hear the skis slicing through the snow at lower speeds.

This season I installed a 1" track and 144 studs on my 07 RTX. Hopefully it will be quiet (not really enough snow to test yet - hopefully this week).

Hi ReX, I was out for my 1st ride last weekend, dropped the sleds off in Montpelier and headed North in the Papineau park, conditions from excellent to BAD...overall wasn't to bad.

I'm heading back tommorow Jan 24 for 3 days and I also did some tweaking, but track HOWL is still noticable at lower speeds, I'm also running '04 idlers same set-up as yours as you could see on my pics I sent you.

How did your '05 situation come out (Rails)...

Give me a call if you'd like to ride Montpelier area, have you ever ridden that area before...

UPDATE - The edge skid reduced the howl to tolerable levels now. I'm very happy. If I ever upgrade tracks I will get the quiet rip saw and never look back. Thanks everyone!

Back