• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you raise you machine off suspension when trailering long distances?

1simpleton

Country
USA
Snowmobile
xtx
On our trip back from the U.P. I kept looking in the rear view mirror watching the front of our machines bounce up and down then started to wonder if people block their machines up off the suspension when trailering long distances? Years ago when we raced dirt track cars and if we were going any long distance trips we would get the cars up off the suspension to help extend the life of the shocks.

I strap mine down pretty tight so the suspension dont move and it rides as just weight on trailer suspension. in other words i compress my suspension with ratchet straps to the trailer. right or wrong it works for me just remember to unload the suspension when you get home im sure its not good to store that way.

I just use one of those bars that go across the front and strap down the back so it doesn't move. For storage I raise the front and back to relieve load from the suspension.
Jim
08 APEX

I strap mine down pretty tight so the suspension dont move and it rides as just weight on trailer suspension. in other words i compress my suspension with ratchet straps to the trailer. right or wrong it works for me just remember to unload the suspension when you get home im sure its not good to store that way.

Depends on the shock... Keep in mind they come fully compressed from the factory. Also, when they are compressed, the piston rod won't rust. (springs on the other hand could start to sag.) Personally, I never lift up a sled for storage.

Everybody's different. Whatever works for you. I even raise my trailer wheels just off the ground during storage and whenever the trailer is parked to relieve the springs. lol
Jim
08 APEX

I have even taken it a step further than the trailer springs where I take my primary and secondary springs out to relieve the tension.

I don't bother strapping down the rear suspension at all when I trailer unless it is on an open trailer, I do it for safety, not for the suspension.

Everybody's different. Whatever works for you. I even raise my trailer wheels just off the ground during storage and whenever the trailer is parked to relieve the springs. lol

Sounds like a lot of work! My current trailer is a roughly 20 year old clamshell that has never been jacked up for storage, and although the torsion axle is sagging a little, it has lasted 20 years+. One replacement every 20 years is a small price to pay for not having to screw around with jacking a trailer up. (a torsion at 20 years is beyond its designed lifespan in any case)

X2 -- I one had a trailer start bouncing because of a frost depression in the highway we didnt see in the night until we were in it. The bouncing trailer made the sleds start to bounce which then ripped the hold down bar out of one seld allowing it to go sailing off the trailer. Ratchet them down and they can bounce and possibly go flying off. Saves on the shocks as well.

What the hell are you driving over to get a 600lb sled to bounce off of a trailer?

The road sunk in about 18-20 inches and we were going about 65mph when we went through it. There were no warning signs and it was night so we did not see it until it was to late. It was also at the apex of a long arching corner so when the truck and trailer left the ground they both jumped sideways until we landed which shot the truck and trailer hard left. The trailer whipped back and forth causing the one sled that was not tied down in the back to start whipping around as well. It ripped the ski hold down bar out of the trailer and the seld left the trailer. After this event all my sleds get ratcheted down front and back to keep them from moving relative to the trailer.

x3

all sleds should be secured at both ends when trailering so it's doesn't move at all and parking brake set. if not the load might/will shift when you make a sudden movement, worst yet if you hit ice and the whole trailer is sliding, the last thing you want is the load shifting.

as for storage i store my sleds on lifts.

Mills, when you say it left the trailer, like it flew right off? Damage?
Jim
08 APEX
Yep, damn thing flew right off and went for several end-for-end flips and barrel rolls before coming to rest in the ditch. It was completely destroyed. That's ok, it was only a Cat and needed to be put out of our misery anyway. It belonged to a friend that NEVER did any maintenance or summarized it and every time we would ride it would break down at the most inopportune time/place. We all laughed our butts off because we told him to strap the back down but he didn't listen yet again. Guess who got stuck sitting in the cabin by himself while the rest of us rode over 300 miles that weekend!!!

Back