• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Doo temptation

mikeb

Expert
Need to replace my warrior

Looked at a Doo GSX Limited with the new 600 engine.

Comfortable, good mileage, and 145 lbs lighter than my old Yamaha.

Tough decision

I read somewhere that they are having issues with that engine. Apparently when it starts cold you need to run it for 7 minutes at a setting just above idle or it may foul the plugs. Has something to do with the oil pump needing to warm up.

Man,I am so tempted to buy an 09 XP. I think I am going to wait and ride my Nytro rest of the year then see what EVERY one comes out with. I really really hope that new poo is going to be a 4 stroke!

I too am tempted to switch just for the weight. They say yamaha reliability and while I agree to a certain extent I was out patching my oil tank cause it was cracked this evening. I think they all have issues and the 2 stroke rebuild use to scare me, after pulling my engine 3 times and looking at a 4th over the spring the top end rebuild on a doo would be cake.

I'll stay yamaha for another 2 years maybe 3 but then I will be looking at ALL options. One thing to remember not one is perfect, not one is 100% maint free, and not one will ride like you want. They all take tinkering just a matter of what puts the smile on your face when your riding it like ya stole it!

I rode that exact sled last week in UP and was VERY impressed. In 425 miles my buddy never added or checked the oil. Sled had comfy seat, handling very well, great ergos, snappy throttle and it cornered with zero effort. He average 18-19 mpg in alot of pow pow. I am not ready to get rid of my Apex but I would consider one of these sleds(Rev Xp) in the future if they prove reliable.

I was this > < close to buying a leftover new 08 Doo GSX Limited with their 600SDI motor. I've heard and witnessed enough problems with the new tec motor to shy away from the 09's. I LOVE the ride and feel of the XP chassis.

The wife was right though....I have 2 yrs of warranty on my Vector and kid #2 neds a sled next year. Maybe #1 kid gets the Vector, #2 gets the Poo, and Dad gets a new toy!!!!

I certainly understand your temptation. We bought a GSX Limited E-TEC for my wife this year. The E-TEC works as claimed. No smoke or smell, great gas mileage (better than my Vector), uses very litle oil. It shouldn't cost us any more for a season's worth of 2-stroke oil than it costs for an oil change w/ filter for my 4-stroke. Now if it ends up as reliable as my Yamaha, I'll be really impressed. So far it looks like we got a good one.

Compared to the Vector, it has roomier ergonomics, steers way easier, and has much more storage space. The Vector (mine's a GT) has adjustable damping front and rear that the GSX does not, an engine that will probably outlive me, and probably a better dealer network and corporate support. Both machines perform about equally in a drag race, riding on rough or groomed trails, and flotation in deep snow. Although I have to admit that lighter is nice when playing in powder.

Reading forums can scare you away from almost any brand. Yes, there are a lot of posts on Doo-Talk about electrical gremlins and leaky hose clamps on E-TEC machines, but there also seems to be a lot more traffic there in general. I doubt there is much difference in the percentage of owners reporting problems. Remember there are issues with our favorite brand here too, like exhaust donuts, oil tanks, skis, suspension wheels, etc.

Enjoy whatever you end up with!

I did alot of research before purchasing my new 09 LTX Vector GT and the engine reliability is absolutely proven. Those Doo guys aren't getting the mileage on their sleds like Yamaha's can. I looked at the GSX Limited four stroke $10,800 and the 600 SDI for $9,950 and walked away with my Vector for $8249.00 with the rebate! Has everything: reverse, electric start, great hand warmers (yes very hot)....and the same engine that was used to break the Guiness Book of World Records for long distance mileage. That's what sold me even though the guys at work were trying to convince me into getting a SkiDoo and Polaris. Of course break downs will happen with all sleds. I feel like I got a great deal and am not looking back. I've seen individuals in these posts that have switched to Yamaha from SkiDoo and love the Yamaha. I'm going to be mostly a trail rider so I believe that the added weight won't be such a big concern. I'm a newbie though and time will tell.

Fredsdogdino said:
I did alot of research before purchasing my new 09 LTX Vector GT and the engine reliability is absolutely proven. Those Doo guys aren't getting the mileage on their sleds like Yamaha's can. I looked at the GSX Limited four stroke $10,800 and the 600 SDI for $9,950 and walked away with my Vector for $8249.00 with the rebate! Has everything: reverse, electric start, great hand warmers (yes very hot)....and the same engine that was used to break the Guiness Book of World Records for long distance mileage. That's what sold me even though the guys at work were trying to convince me into getting a SkiDoo and Polaris. Of course break downs will happen with all sleds. I feel like I got a great deal and am not looking back. I've seen individuals in these posts that have switched to Yamaha from SkiDoo and love the Yamaha. I'm going to be mostly a trail rider so I believe that the added weight won't be such a big concern. I'm a newbie though and time will tell.
I also purchased a 2009 Vector LTX GT and so far so good with 700 miles on it.
I would debate the issue with the hand grips being hot. The ones on mine are ok down to about 0, below that, get out the gautlets.

Getting the original oil filter off in the confined opening was not a picnic .

opposite here about the oil filter,i thought it was a breeze compared to my old warrior,all i did was put a normal strap wrench on it and it came off easy,true the warmers could be better so i ride with gauntlets too,my sled is at 1600 miles so far and i love it,to me warmers and skis and wheels are not very serious compared to crankshafts,driveshafts&pistons,cant believe with such a short season that people that buy the #1 brand,have a bunch of problems,takes away 3/4 of their season and the year after,they buy the same

You guys are nuts! :tg:

While I agree that the skidoo chassis is awesome and they handle great, they still grenade WAY TO OFTEN. It's not just Internet talk. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a skidoo with engine problems. I could never justify spending 10K + on a toy that may or may not burn down. Yes our hand warmers idlers and donuts suck - but they are small potatoes. I would only consider another brand right now if I was an off-trail rider.

:4STroke:

I just was over at Doo talk, seem they are all having issues like this::

I have a 09 Ren x 800 with 600 miles (had all the joys with my 08 which had about 100 days at dealer last winter) and am having alot of the same problems. Can anyone offer some advise? Problems to date;

1) Blown two belts, the stock one at 330 mile and yesterday wityh a Carlisle XS803 I only got 225 miles out of it. I spent ALOT of time carefully breaking machine in with wussy riding til 300 miles. Then after 50 miles of driving normal bye- bye belt. Have switched to a 377 belt for first time. I am expecting dealer/BRP cver belts. Last year similar issue 4 or 5 belt for about a 1000 mile season. Both belt have "shreeded" with cord wrapping very tightly on primary or secondary. Damage caused to guard and top post that secures it was sheared.

2) Overflow botle empites when Cold" after each ride. On cold start adding 5-6 ounces each time. No leaks when Hot. DEaler gave me BRP bulletin for new clamps but now says BRP can not find source of leaks....fix on hold.

3) Several electrical issues, fuses have blown tiwce for lights (15 amp) and when riding at dusk other day all "isiot" light came on while riding and switching to from high low beams could smell major burning....right side lamp on high beam plug melted, bulb replaced.

4) Suspension still have not been able to set up to steer in powder....better than 08 and trails but very poor steering in deep stuff....adjusted all shocks, preload and played with it.....my 05 REn 600 SDI with Preceion skis can out corner this 09 every corner.

Love the power on this sled but proving to be another VERY unreliable ride......running now with two spare belts......riding today on 377 so hopefully no belt issues.

I have taken dealers and BRP assurance last spring all issues have been fixed......feel as I have been lied too. Also 8 weeks already past for "Go ride Promo" refund BRP says they have note received it Same BS as last year when I got cheque after 5 months!!!

BRP customer service line is BS this year....teminates calls when they say they are too busy....took me over 20 calls over a week to get through....they don't seem to care to much about customer service. If this continues I can not see ever buying ski-doo again.

Any help appreciated!

Another One::

Coolant Leaks::
Ripped my sled apart yesterday and did find seepage at the clamp connections. Interestingly they were all hoses that connected to plastic T's or solenoids. The first one is at the front of the gas tank where the hoses connect to the heat exchanger and connects into a plastic T'. The second area where I saw the most seepage was behind the muffler. You have to pull the muffler and then the black plastic cover. There is a large plastic solenoid that has a connection to the hose from the top of the engine. I saw the most leakage at this connection (again plastic interface). Really sad, brand new sled and the thing is ripped apart in my garage into 50 peices because those boneheads at BRP do not know how to ensure a leak proof cooling system!

You have to dismantel quite a bit of the sled to get to some of the clamps and that is why I think dealers are not doing this and saying they cannot find anything under a pressure test. That is why I do my own work!

And the Winner Goes to This One::

My TNT is in for the drive shaft recall and the dealer noticed that the crank seal is leaking, so he call warranty claims and here was the conversation.

"Did the owner take the 2 year warranty"

"Yes, that is why I am calling Warranty claims"

"Then let him ride it until it fails"

"Are you kidding?"

"No"

Nice customer service, huh? They won't fix a known issue until it causes failure. This is my first Doo, and unfortunately I chose a first year sled again, with some issues, but I expected Doo to stand behind it.

I will stick wit My Apex GT till Yamaha Brings outr the 2010 Sleds. We will see what is in store. Doo quality and service seems to really suck.

Back