• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing

Jd2859

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 sidewinder LTX GT
finally got around to taking the skid out and checking the drive shaft bearing.. sled is a 2020 with 1800 miles all stock for the first 800 miles then did a 240 tune for the rest of the miles but I have been building this thing all summer and now have around 350hp so I figured it’s a good time to really inspect this thing drive shaft shows little to no wear I measured the drive shaft and I’m getting 1.764 and the inner race is 1.765 but the back of the rotor tells me that the shaft has been spinning from seeing previous posts but maybe it just started I can’t Quiet catch the groove with my finger nail what you guys think I did get a Bop shaft saver so that will be going in

Attachments

• 73479ED3-52C1-41BF-835D-9B48A35867CB.jpeg
    73479ED3-52C1-41BF-835D-9B48A35867CB.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 218

I would say your wear is minimal if only .001 and the saver should still be effective. To be certain you can always remove bearing from caliper and then do a test fit up with the saver while the driveshaft still in the machine.

I took off my own to check. Mileage 2300 km. I cleaned everything and lubricated the bearing. Apparently, the bearing was rotating on the shaft. Installed shaft protection, which was not there before. I'm not sure if this will help. Only the inner edge of the seal (sealing spring) is slightly lubricated. Did I do the right thing? I decided that a lot of grease in the seal is not the best idea, given that there is a drain for water.
B-TX LE 153 2020 model year.
Screenshot_20221201_221934.jpg
Screenshot_20221201_221948.jpgScreenshot_20221201_221959.jpg
Screenshot_20221201_222010.jpg

lots of grease will keep water out anyways? Roctoyz has a new grease injector for that bearing which has seals on both sides and allows you to pack the bearing full of grease. (special bearing seals with holes for grease migration I guess).

I took off my own to check. Mileage 2300 km. I cleaned everything and lubricated the bearing. Apparently, the bearing was rotating on the shaft. Installed shaft protection, which was not there before. I'm not sure if this will help. Only the inner edge of the seal (sealing spring) is slightly lubricated. Did I do the right thing? I decided that a lot of grease in the seal is not the best idea, given that there is a drain for water.
View attachment 169857
View attachment 169858View attachment 169859
View attachment 169860
Old thread.
Your bearing & shaft are worn beyond what any expansion driveshaft saver can repair.
This needs a new bearing & new or repaired driveshaft with an expansion driveshaft saver.

or the new worn shaft saver.

Sorry, but I'm skeptical about this repair solution.
In my opinion, we are better off with a new original bearing, a new or repaired driveshaft, and the expansion type saver.
Mine has 7000+ miles since the repair.

View attachment 169857
View attachment 169858View attachment 169859
View attachment 169860
If you decide to install the lower bearing driveshaft kit ,that includes an updated bearing,the new collar will be already pressed into the I.D.of the new bearing.you would have to split the caliper for installation over shaft. See pics below. Could save considerable expense of repair of shaft and removal of shaft .Kit is $160

Attachments

• 52C54213-37F1-4794-8690-A876CF8B1BA3.jpeg
    52C54213-37F1-4794-8690-A876CF8B1BA3.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 86CA6D1A-20E0-49C9-B1B6-F7220E387968.jpeg
    86CA6D1A-20E0-49C9-B1B6-F7220E387968.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 135
  • 4FE11D28-7AFD-445C-8791-80CD211C96E4.jpeg
    4FE11D28-7AFD-445C-8791-80CD211C96E4.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
expansion driveshaft saver.

Installed shaft protection. It wasn't there before. I'm not sure if this will help, but I hope it will be better this way. That's all there is at the moment.

I think a lot of people have a worn-out shaft and they don't even know about it and keep driving. Maybe it's specially made by the manufacturer and they know about it. If you have no vibrations and the bearing is not jammed, it should work for a long time. I also think that an important factor is the correct tension of the track, it presses the shaft against the bearing. These are my thoughts.

Pictured in thread #7 is the Driveshaft bearing repair kit.This kit is designed for a worn drive shaft, such as yours.The link you had to the shaftsaver ( thread #8) will not help you on a worn driveshaft such as yours.

If you decide to install the lower bearing driveshaft kit ,that includes a updated bearing,the new collar will be pressed into the I.D.of the new bearing.you would have to split the caliper for installation over shaft. See pics below. Could save considerable expense of repair of shaft and removal of shaft .Kit is $160
Why do you need to split the caliper? I got the caliper off the shaft. Do you believe we need to split the caliper to get the bearing out?

You are correct ,the caliber doesn’t need to be split.()MY BAD) to remove disc brake assy off drive shaft,for o.e.m.bearing removal

Thank you. Now, do you have any tips on getting the bearing out of the housing? Harbor freight bearing puller or is there some trick I’m unaware of?
I’m installing BOP bearing, I assume I’m going to have to cut the seal out of that bracket while it’s hanging in place

Once the retaining clip is removed,you can set brake assy on some blocks,apply a little heat to outside of housing (propane torch) with a socket the size of the outer race of bearing,it taps out easily. For installation I left the bearing/collar assy , in freezer overnight and tapped in until seated in housing,re installed clip.Make sure the end of retaining clip is under lip of housing.I-cut my debris off while the housing was off shaft.The collar will act as a shield for the new bearing,that seal in the o.e.m. bracket ,is not needed with this new bearing/ collar assy.that you’re installing

Thank you. Now, do you have any tips on getting the bearing out of the housing? Harbor freight bearing puller or is there some trick I’m unaware of?
I’m installing BOP bearing, I assume I’m going to have to cut the seal out of that bracket while it’s hanging in place

Last edited:

Back