• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft drivers

aceltx09

Expert
Does anyone have any tricks on getting the drivers onto the drive shaft, I heard they have to be pressed on. I am changing my friends 06 shaft in a few weeks and probably going to put on all new drivers but does anyone have any opinions on reusing current ones if they look to be in good condition???

They need to be pressed on. I think, and people, correct me if I'm wrong, that there is some sort of template. Think about it, they need to be perfect. My 06 driveshaft busted at 12,000 miles and I reused the drivers. There was nothing wrong with them.

Oh yeah, dealer did it.

They do need to be pressed on. If the shaft is still in the sled, take measurements from the inside of the tunnel to each driver (all 4), measuring both sides of each driver. Take out the old shaft, then install the new on temporarily with no track, then project those measurement on to the new shaft with a marker. The centers of each measurement should be equidistant from the inner tunnel sides. Then take out the shaft and have a shop press on the drivers for you. It's a minimal fee, unless you have your own press.

It cost me $30 to have mine pressed on on my turbo RX a couple years ago. I just took the old shaft and the new one to them and they did the measurements and pressed them on.. Worked perfect..

if you have time take it to a machine shop and have them true it of in a lath and make sure that it run true

mr.pitstop said:
It cost me $30 to have mine pressed on on my turbo RX a couple years ago. I just took the old shaft and the new one to them and they did the measurements and pressed them on.. Worked perfect..

X2

Attachments

• stealth-on-floor-300w.jpg
    stealth-on-floor-300w.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 69
Take the dimensions, carefully, before removing them from the shaft, after removing the shaft from the sled. The dimensions taken while installed in the tunnel won't do you any good at all while actually pressing them on. Might be a good back up check at best.

I wouldn't be shy about reusing them.

An auto supply or shop capable of changing u-joints will have a press. If there's somebody there willing to do the job for you, you can usually get it done very reasonably.

Back