• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drivetrain slop - where does it go???

Metallicat

TY 4 Stroke God
I had my side panels off the other day to inspect the belt and clutches, and noticed that I can turn the secondary clutch about 20 degrees before the track drivers begin to move. The secondary clutch and the brake disc move together, but somewhere in the gearbox there is a lot of "play". I assume this is normal, but I am just wondering how they engineered this excessive play into the drivetrain - I think it is necessary for reverse to work properly.

So...if the secondary is moving, the brake is moving, then what is in the chaincase which prevents the driven shaft from moving as soon as the drive shaft moves? I mean, 20 degrees of rotation is quite a bit. Oh yeah, and my chain is adjusted properly.

Metallicat said:
I had my side panels off the other day to inspect the belt and clutches, and noticed that I can turn the secondary clutch about 20 degrees before the track drivers begin to move. The secondary clutch and the brake disc move together, but somewhere in the gearbox there is a lot of "play". I assume this is normal, but I am just wondering how they engineered this excessive play into the drivetrain - I think it is necessary for reverse to work properly.

So...if the secondary is moving, the brake is moving, then what is in the chaincase which prevents the driven shaft from moving as soon as the drive shaft moves? I mean, 20 degrees of rotation is quite a bit. Oh yeah, and my chain is adjusted properly.

Reverse gear mecanism, normal

Alain

Yeah, I assumed it was normal. I was just openly wondering how they accomplished this. I've never had a reverse gearbox apart before.

I just found this play also and found this thread doing a search. This play is normal? I can move the secondary 2 1/2 inches back and fourth. I was going to remove chain case cover to inspect play. But I don't want to waste time if normal. Since the sled was new 05 RS Venture it has cooked the belt from a stop in both drive and reverse, about 10 times. Acts like the track is stuck. The sled has only 387 miles. Dealer has checked sled while under warr. for this problem but never found anything.

Make shure you check your chain tension also they do stretch slightly the first couple hundred miles,but yes the play is normal in all reverse sleds yamaha has made that I know of.

Back