• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dual Fan Setup For Radiator

any pics of this? I also have the oft relocate and there is so much room in front of the radiator. even an ice forward would help a ton!
SnoBird, sorry it took me a while to get pictures, but here 's the "OFT relocate" enabled radiator mount versus stock. Two advantages. It is steeper and thus more into the wind and it gives you more room behind. I ran this setup on my MTX now for 3 years and works great. No overheat issues. Simply bolt on and forget about it. You can't go much further than what I did because the rad will interfere with the hood.

I don't have any installed pictures as I currently have the sled ripped apart and doing a major on the front end so it'll be a month or so before I actually install the rad back on the sled.

OTM

This is a awesome setup Off Trail Mike. That is the best way to increase airflow that I have seen yet. Back when I had the first version of the trail tank, I shimmed the radiator a bit due to clearance issues with the fan and tank. Trail tank has great customer service and sent a newer version of the tank, and I put the radiator back to the stock position. But I often wondered about leaving it about 1/2" further out from tank on top.
OTM you could sell these mounts, I would be first in line, already have the relocator.
Great idea and execution.

i was going to say to do this you would need to remove the plastic front shroud and or do a steering relocate. I think im going to try this though! Ive got now way to make something that nice but will see what i can come up with

Got some time to fit up my dual fan shroud today on a 2011 Nytro that we will be running this season. The shroud stands off 1" from the back side of rad so there is plenty of room for the radiator to breath when fans are not running. I also Spoke with Yamaheater Rock about the extra fan load and he said It should be fine. Rock is my electrical go to guy! Below are some pictures. Hope to do an idle test later today. I will compare the idle times until overheat light comes on between the two sleds to see how much of a difference the extra fan makes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Did some testing this afternoon. Have two identical 11 nytros. One has stock fan and other has the two fan setup.

Started one sled and left it idle. Once fan kicked on I timed how long it would run until overheat light would come on. Sled with stock fan ran 5 min 4o sec. Sled with dual fan ran 9 min 45 sec. Ambient air temp was 39F. Very promising results. Going to repeat same test tomorrow morning.

do you have your radiator flush against the stock mounting position or moved forward to clear the fans to the tank? I know ive seen ppl that move it forward like an inch to help give that hot air somewhere else to go!

Also not sure exactly why but on the Vipers ppl have been running the oem fans backwards to get better air flow and avoid blowing hot air into the intake I believe. Since its probably rare the fans run while moving I wonder if reversing them might be something to consider.

The plate gets angled slightly with spacers for clearance purposes. I have it installed on a stock sled...no relocate on steering post.

another thing I was thinking was back to your shroud idea. normal vehicle fans have a fixed shroud and the blades don't have a ring around them. I wonder if the fins are rigid enough to rotate w/o that ring. Then if you put the ring on your aluminum shroud it should be fairly efficient depending on how close you get the tip of the blades to the shroud.

normal vehicle fans have a fixed shroud and the blades don't have a ring around them

Some do, some don't have rings. Probably has to do with the RPM they run at. I wouldn't take the ring off as that would weaken the blades and probably unbalance them.

Some do, some don't have rings. Probably has to do with the RPM they run at. I wouldn't take the ring off as that would weaken the blades and probably unbalance them.
yeah the balance would worry me but he added a aluminum shroud and got pretty close to the tips it would work a ton better than the dumb ring on them now. it doesnt create that suction zone a tight shroud would.

I did some testing yesterday with my dual fan setup. Had my two year old so we cruised around on hard packed trails for 25 min at 15-20 mph. Ambient air around 40. Snow was wet...so no dust. Fans were running but no overheat light. ;)!

When you are all said and done with this install/testing will it be sold as a kit or just the mount plate for the fans?

I will likely offer a complete kit including plate with hardware, plug and play harness, and a good used fan.

I will also sell kit with out the fan in case I run out of fans or buyer has one laying around.

I had posted an update on my website last month from some testing. Pasting it below.

We tried the old forge trails Monday and managed 60 miles on my Nytro. Trails were icey, hyfax cooking hard! My dual radiator fan saved the day as i did not have any scratchers on the nytro. I ran about 45 miles and got an overheat light just twice. The first was when we had to skirt bare road for about 2 miles to get to trails. To test how effective the second fan was I disabled the fan at 45 miles and we continued to ride. I only made it 4 miles before overheat light came on. This second fan is substantial improvement and for sure will be a new product for next year,

I will definitely be offering this kit for next season. How much interest is there if I can offer complete kit for around $125? Complete kit would be shroud with mounting hardware, second fan, and a plug and play harness.

Back