• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

E-Mail to Yamaha Canada about Handwarmers

SLEDSTART

VIP Member
doober said:
I emailed Yamaha canada about this and this is their response, I even sent them a link to this post.

"It is very difficult to determine by e-mail if the output is sufficient.
You can imagine the many factors that are involved, and to be quite frank,
it is nearly impossible for us to build something of this nature that is
going to please every owner. The satisfaction of the heaters will depend on
the rider's own tolerance, type of gloves worn, etc.). There is a test that
your dealer can perform to determine if the output is sufficient but it
involves testing your snowmobile at different RPMs and I would not suggest
an owner perform this test. You need to confirm the DC voltage output at
1,500 rpm and at 4,500 rpm. To get the test done the snowmobile will need
to be running, raised, and the track spinning. This is not something that
should be done at home.

If you are ridding another identical Yamaha and think there is a huge
variance in output (and it's a stock machine) then you should speak with
your dealership. There will always be a variance of =/- 10%.

I do thank you for sharing your thoughts and will record your complaint. If
time and product monitoring indicate a change will be made at factory then
your dealership will be sent information and I suggest you sporadically
speak with them too."

Did you mail him back asking why every yamaha produced before 2006 will melt your gloves and everything after is like grabbing 2 Popsicles???

I want to add my 07 Apex and my buddies 07 Apex. BOTH have ZERO heat unless you redline the snot out of it on a 20 mile railroad bed, and by then your hands are so cold you don't even want to go over 40.

Thank God for the kit Rock is building!!! :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Swiss...kinda confused why you did this? The post in the handwarmer thread above mine from doober was who posted this letter not me. I was just commenting on the letter doober had sent to Yamaha that he posted in that thread and my post gets put into a new thread? don't get it?

SNOWDOG said:
Did you mail him back asking why every yamaha produced before 2006 will melt your gloves and everything after is like grabbing 2 Popsicles???

I want to add my 07 Apex and my buddies 07 Apex. BOTH have ZERO heat unless you redline the snot out of it on a 20 mile railroad bed, and by then your hands are so cold you don't even want to go over 40.

Thank God for the kit Rock is building!!! :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Well I have an 05 and while the warmers work somewhat they have the problem that they do not warm up till you are riding. You can idle it forever and they will not warm up. 20 miles down the trail they start to work a bit but by then your hands have a chill in them you can't get rid of after that. You can't even stop and hang onto the bars to warm up your hands with no wind because the handwarmers shut off.

Even after 20 minutes they get warm at best on a -20 day. Compared to my cats before this sled they are like running on low not high. Larger windshield helped a lot but I'm just tired of cold hands. I'd never be able to ride an Apex or Nytro on anything but a near freezing day.

I ordered a rock kit and will take it with me if or when I trade up to a newer Yami. Nothing is worse then warmers that won't warm!

My point is if you think my 05 has better warmers then an 06. Then this tells me that 06 and up basicly does not have warmers at all.

snowdog, I did ask them that, not those exact words but I remember my father in laws MM, those warmers rocked. Maybe if everyone starts emailing these guys instead of thinking about it, they will do something Anyways this was his response.

Good afternoon:

"It's a complicated matter involving trying to make sled that's lighter and
faster. Every economy is taken into consideration in the design and the
heat output on these units is not going to please everyone."

Regards,

Scott

Yamaha Customer Relations
<YamahaCustomerRelations@yamaha-mot
01/07/2009 02:00 or.ca>
PM cc

Subject
Please respond to Re: Website Customer Contact

Sled Dog said:
The hand warmers on both of my rx-1's 04 & 05 will get so hot you have to turn them down.

Same here. My 05 RX-1, my Viper and my SRX would melt your gloves.

My 05 Vector's hand warmers were awesome!
My 09 RTX SE's suck!

It's probably the first time Yamaha has heard of this problem though. :drink:

Grimm said:
My 05 Vector's hand warmers were awesome!
My 09 RTX SE's suck!

It's probably the first time Yamaha has heard of this problem though. :drink:

They can say that but we know better. I am sure they have heard lots about it. I still cant believe they did not fix this by now because its such a easy thing to fix for them.

My 07 RTX gets warm enough on full to turn down after about 30minutes of riding, by which point my fingers are getting numb, however I have had 06 bars on my 07 rtx (regret changing them back) and before the sled was warmed up with the heated grips set to 3 bars it was warm enough to be uncomfortable.

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument over 03 to 05 bars compared to 06 and up. If your happy with your handwarmers and think they are good enough then you will have no need for the rock kit.

If your bars are hot enough to burn they lucky you, and I mean that! (cold hands suck) Every time I mention my hand warmers people jump on it and claim that 03 to 05 bars rule. Well mine don't. I have heard a few others say the same. Once it gets down past -20C (0F) they suck.

My point is my 05 bars are not hot enough for me. Yes I turn mine down, even off on some days but on -30C (-20F) days my cat bars will still cook my hands while my Yami bars are next to useless.

Why I am going to try the rock kit is because it will turn my bars on at idle and warm them while my sled is warming up. Then I start off with warm bars instead of waiting forever down the trail for them to get luke warm at best on -20C day and a 60mph wind. By then my hands are cold and never seem to want to warm up.

I complained about my bars to my dealer and he said there was nothing wrong with them. On this site it was pointed out you have to be moving to get the rpms high enough for the warmers to work. If I stop the sled and rip off a glove and grab the bar they are warm and quickly turn to cold in seconds at idle.

Now for 06 and up they made them worse. Why can everyone else get them right but not Yamaha? Emailing them and pounding it into thier heads till they can't stand it and do something about it is the only way I guess.

For me I'll try the rock kit. If I move up to a newer Apex I'll take the kit with me. Just the fact I bought one should tell Yami thier bars are way to cold.

Keep putting the pressure on! Squeeky wheel, Grease thing and all.

:4STroke: :rocks:

Back