• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine oil

Yama-lube is a blended "semi-synthetic" oil.

Yama-lube has been good to me for over 12,000 miles in two years.

The sled does not burn any oil between oil changes.

That's all I use. ;)!

Use the yamaha blend oil 0-30W. You cannot use synthetic oil the starter clutch will slip.

yammie3687 said:
Use the yamaha blend oil 0-30W. You cannot use synthetic oil the starter clutch will slip.

I've heard others say this as well, but I've heard from even more who say that there isn't an issue.

Anyone else care to comment on this?

yammie3687 said:

Yes, I've read this in Yamaha's literature. Several others use full synthetic and say it's fine, but IMO when the engine manufacturer makes a point to say to stay away from something, I'll do it. I'm usually a big fan of full synthetic.

Also interested in hearing about this one...

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my Tacoma & Protege and was hoping to put it in my RX-1 as well.

I wouldn't go against Yamaha's recommendation to stay away from fully synthetic oils, but that does seem odd.

My dealer also tells me to not run full synthetic because of the starter problems, his dealership has had some issues. IMO most change oil every season, this is gennerally not near enough hours or miles to brake down a standard oil. I do believe the synthetic would disperse heat better possibley for a turbo application?? Anyone? Scott

The deal here is not really if its syntetic or not... it is:
1- do not go above API SF
2- do not use anything that have anti-friction additives
3- do not use anything that says "Energy Conserving"

I have found some Castrol Syntech 0w30 full syntetic that met all 3 conditions last pre-season, used it all winter (2 fills) and had no problem whatsoever.

Using the recommended Yamalube is always a sure shot.

2 cent in...

For those of you here in Canada, Canadian Tire has the Formula 1 semi synthetic lube on sale this week for $2.99 per litre. I think it meet the same specs. ;)!

AVenture,

Where did you see those strict recommendations on not what to use.

As for point #1 I thought service grades were backward compatible.

I slightly understand your points #1 and #2 as maybe the anti-Friction and Energy conserving go together and that is what the starter slipping is about.

On the issue of Starter Slipping. I don't get it. How does oil effect the starter.

Back