• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EPI vs. Ulmer Clutching

Ditch Banger

I have finally seen the light and given up on my grass roots two stroke Ski Doos and made my way to a 07 Phazer. In light of making the transition to smaller "cc" machine, I am thoroughly impressed with its abilities. Although this machine is fun to drive and great in the ditches, I am still one of those guys that are never happy leaving something stock. I am looking at installing a few picks, a pipe and maybe playing with some clutch work (need to stay ahead off 6 buddies and their Ski Doo 600 SDI's). What I would like to know is, has any one installed an EPI clutch kit on one of these machines? I have been reading that everyone has been talking about Ulmer clutches, but I am not that familiar with them. I have had an EPI clutch kit in the past on a Polaris. But was not sure of how it would fair out on this machine. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Stick with Ulmer on this one. they have the 4 stroke Yamaha kits dialed in perfectly. Maxdlx

I just installed the Ulmer clutch kit yesterday. Over my stock clutching I can only say I personally didnt see much of a difference. Its a 115.00 dollars and it takes only about 30 minutes to do it so its a cheap wish me power hit add-on. All I can say is that the manufactures have got these sleds in pretty good form in stock hardware. They have more time and money for research than others and they are sometimes hard to beat.

I would also like some input on this subject.
Thanx Bruce--

I have the ulmer clutch kit as well... not installed yet. But hoping with other changes/mods (airbox, exhaust) everything will play nice together and give me a few more ponies.

Trevor

I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail as well. I figure with the exhaust and airbox work combined with the studs a bit of clutch work will only help. But what do I know, I've only rode this thing 107 miles! and it's the first sled I've every owned.I just can't leave anything well enogh alone I guess.
You would think owning the only Phazer in like 300 miles would be enough but know I gotta hop it up and make my own.

Later,
Will

Yamaha may have them dialed in but remember this is a setup designed for all around riding and fuel economy. Ulmer set-up work very well and pulls harder out of the gates without loosing any top-end. After I put his kit in the sled felt more like YZ-250 and would stoke over the rough much better !

Nice to know... maybe I'll drop some coin and get a Ulmer clutch set up.. hope they come with good directions, I'm good with tools...but directions

What do you get in the Ulmer kit for $115.00? What is the spring pressure and the flyweights value? I would like to compare it to the EPI kit. The EPI kit is about $79.00 Can. If it comes down to it I would rather spend the extra little bit for something that is going to work right. But I am still interested in comparing the 2 kits. Anyone know?

Ulmer clutch kit includes a primary spring and adjustable weights. Additional information can be seen at http://www.ulmerracing.com as well under the clutching page. We can adjust (usually requires a secondary adjustment) for stock track or the freeride track as well.

What did you find was the best setting for the Freeride ?

Ditch Banger said:
I am looking at installing a few picks, a pipe and maybe playing with some clutch work (need to stay ahead off 6 buddies and their Ski Doo 600 SDI's).

I don't think you'll stay ahead of the SDIs with a Phazer, even if you do get a head of them.

I hear the EPI kit engages nice and high around 6000 RPM for a nice holeshot, gets the track speed up quicker, roost your riding buddies. haha.

Someone over on HCS has it installed.

I think I will order one real soon, and I'll have a review posted.

Looks like the EPI would be a better kit if you have traction I am guessing...

6K engagement and stock junk Ripsaw FTL.

:)

I think of it as a high stall torque on a race car. It's only good if you have the traction....

Back