• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Error Code 46 HELP

Okay, so this is what I have done so far:
1. Checked battery voltage with sled off - 12.8V
2. Checked voltage with sled running at 5000 rpm - 11.4V
3. Checked main fuse - Good
4. Checked wires for wearing or damage - Good
5. Checked connections on battery, main fuse terminal - Good
6. Tested 3 pin connector of the stator at the voltage regulator - Bad

As the diagram appears in grizz's post I got .58ohms between the left and center & .32 between the right and the centre. Based on that and what the acceptable range is I'm calling the stator bad. Now the one thing I have not done yet which I will be doing tomorrow is getting the battery load tested. It tests fine every other way, is holding a charge and I have no reason to think it is bad but I will test it anyway.

Assuming the stator is bad, I have a few questions. Everything I've read says that I have to pull the motor. Has anyone changed a stator on this sled and not pulled the motor?

Is an aftermarket stator as good as the Genuine Yamaha one? Is there a manufacturer you would recommend?

Thanks.

I have never seen a disconnected 12 volt battery read 12.8 VDC. Maybe 12.2 or 12.3VDC. Your voltmeter may be off a bit.

Anyway, if the resistance readings are bad at the stator connection, then the stator is bad. Sometimes the wires short into the engine case. Sometimes they short in the windings. Sometimes they just go open, which is not your case.

When you install the new one, make sure you position the wires so that they do not have the potential to touch the case. I have found it is typically a lot easier to change a stator if you pull the engine and put it on the bench. Especially the first time around.

I have replaced with used stators and new OEM ones. I have found used ones are a crapshoot and it takes a lot of work to to replace it a second time. Also, when a used one goes, you start wondering if there is something else wrong causing the stator to go bad, and really it was just the used one was just ready to go bad anyway.

I got the motor out and removed the stator on the weekend. New one is on order. There is nothing visibly wrong with the stator, not that I was expecting there to be but it did get me thinking about why it would have gone. I was wondering if I could have overloaded it? I would think that the main fuse would go before any damage could be done but I'm not sure. I had the PCV, Yamaha heater and GPS running but aside from that just the normal sled systems. I don't believe that would be anywhere near enough to cause problems and I'm quite sure many others are running much more load than that. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything so I don't have to go through this again for awhile.

Some of the earlier models were pretty maxed out with just the stock gear. I would check with the Tech Manual to determine the spec or ask the dealer. Add up what you are tacking on and see if it will handle that size load.

I can not remember any issues with the later models.

Also, I would take a base Ohm reading off the new one before you fire it up.I would also make sure you have the right fuses, if you are not sure what is installed. Disconnect all the extra stuff until you are sure the new stator fixes the problem. Then add it back one unit at a time.

All thread I know, but I am having this same issue. Dead battery which I replaced because it was old, got about 150+ miles on it and the code 46 came back and sled wouldnt start. Voltage drops while running and my stator tested bad.

My question is, why pull the motor? Looks like you just have to remove the oil tank and a coolant line and the cover is right there? Getting ready to do this job and would love some insight on the repair.

Good morning to all from Michigan's Upper Peninsula:
Okay so my RS vector s*@* out on me, code 46. Here's how i got it back home. You can jump the starter relay and the sled will start and you can limp it home. I installed a new starter this season so I expected a bad connection, not the case, the problem was the... part number
5JW-81960-00-00
RECTIFIER & REGULATOR ASSY.
Talking to my guy at Nelsons speed shop, OEM part is stupid priced, he got me a aftermarket for a 3rd of the cost.

I Hope this info is helpful.
Ride safe
Mike

Back