• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What in the world!?! Exhaust fail

Kurt J

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro
I bought a 2008 Nytro recently with lots of aftermarket upgrades, and the owner claimed it had "a pipe". There was an MBRP decal on the tunnel, but the muffler appeared original. Didn't matter to me, so I bought it anyway.

Now I'm going through the entire sled verifying it's ready for next winter and find the entire exhaust is a complete scrap pile. The muffler has been opened, and welded back pretty well, which looks like a Schmidt Brother's job, but the baffle inside is detached now.

The header pipe WAS aftermarket, looking vaguely like the Aaen pipe, but it obviously failed in some way, and was reworked at a muffler shop by a child in the dark on meth. It's falling apart, again.

One flex pipe is broke, and the bolts to remove it and all three clamps snapped. FML, right? The donuts were mostly toast, too.

Now the job of removing the engine to remove the broken bolts in the cylinder head. Just great.

At least there's a good note. I bought replacement flex pipe, clamps, copper donuts (from China on eBay) and stock header pipe. For the muffler, I sourced an appropriately sized stainless steel muffler, and made a welding fixture to attach mounting points for it to bolt in just like the original, with the stock muffler shrouds. Crossing my fingers that it will run well and be quiet enough to be legal in Michigan.

Any suggestions on splitting the Nytro in half to remove the broken bolts?

Anyone have experience with using a car muffler? I have a chambered 4×9 muffler with 14" long body.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190615-104535.png
    Screenshot_20190615-104535.png
    349.3 KB · Views: 292

I bought a 2008 Nytro recently with lots of aftermarket upgrades, and the owner claimed it had "a pipe". There was an MBRP decal on the tunnel, but the muffler appeared original. Didn't matter to me, so I bought it anyway.

Now I'm going through the entire sled verifying it's ready for next winter and find the entire exhaust is a complete scrap pile. The muffler has been opened, and welded back pretty well, which looks like a Schmidt Brother's job, but the baffle inside is detached now.

The header pipe WAS aftermarket, looking vaguely like the Aaen pipe, but it obviously failed in some way, and was reworked at a muffler shop by a child in the dark on meth. It's falling apart, again.

One flex pipe is broke, and the bolts to remove it and all three clamps snapped. FML, right? The donuts were mostly toast, too.

Now the job of removing the engine to remove the broken bolts in the cylinder head. Just great.

At least there's a good note. I bought replacement flex pipe, clamps, copper donuts (from China on eBay) and stock header pipe. For the muffler, I sourced an appropriately sized stainless steel muffler, and made a welding fixture to attach mounting points for it to bolt in just like the original, with the stock muffler shrouds. Crossing my fingers that it will run well and be quiet enough to be legal in Michigan.

Anyone have experience with using a car muffler? I have a chambered 4×9 muffler with 14" long body.
Do you have any pics of the bolts that are broken off in the head?many options to try before I would pull the engine

Hope you got a real good deal on that pile of scrap.

Do you have any pics of the bolts that are broken off in the head?many options to try before I would pull the engine
There's about 5-6mm of bolt sticking out. Barely enough to grab with vice grips. No room to drill with the tunnel in the way.

Hope you got a real good deal on that pile of scrap.
The price was right. It came with Skinz arms, Float 2's, Fox Zero Pro, 1.5" track, bars/riser, skid plate, Powder Pro's, Powermadd handguards with gauntlets, a bunch of Schmidt Brother's stuff, and a newer model subframe. Somebody spent some money on this sled.
I'm selling the powder pro's, bars, riser, and handguards. Already have C&A race skis installed, new composite handguards, and new stainless steel handlebars on new risers. Replaced the short windshield with a mid height with side deflectors, and added a windshield bag and small bag mounted to the tank shroud. Among other things, I built custom bumpers for the front and rear. Also added a heating element to the seat, and wired the sled for my heated boots. It's going to be a nice sled when I get done with it. Screenshot_20190616-212108.pngScreenshot_20190616-212042.png

There's about 5-6mm of bolt sticking out. Barely enough to grab with vice grips. No room to drill with the tunnel in the way.
If you have room or don't have a welder these work awesome!need to use a good brand such as the irwin.the cheaper versions don't work as well.

Attachments

• 5-pc-bolt-grip™-expansion-set-808.jpg
    5-pc-bolt-grip™-expansion-set-808.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 321
Time for an update. I've replaced the entire exhaust, with original flex pipes, Chinese "copper"(yellow brass) donuts, original header pipe, and home built stainless muffler. It sounds great, and fits like OEM. I purchased an automotive muffler off eBay, and welded stainless mounting brackets in place to use all the original mounting and hardware. With the rear plastics in place, it looks 100% stock.
This sled is getting some serious love. It's been torn down to nearly a bare chassis, engine removed, new arm bushings, completely rebuilding the skid, cleaning, lots of stainless fasteners, beefing up weak points, replaced track clips, and much more. I also added a heated seat and brake lever. It's a shame I don't plan on keeping it, and have my eye on a SR Viper already. It's going to be a superb trail machine.

A couple of rides and you'll be keeping it. That's my guess.

Hope you absolutely love it. It is essentially your work that made it a great sled!

what seat kit did you use?
The heater mat is OEM for a car. I operate a modeling lab for an automotive seating company, and help develop the seats. It's nice to have access to a lot of specialized components, like massage inserts, cooling systems, etc.

The heater mat is OEM for a car. I operate a modeling lab for an automotive seating company, and help develop the seats. It's nice to have access to a lot of specialized components, like massage inserts, cooling systems, etc.
So massaging heated (cooling) Nytro seats could be in our future?! Nice...

Back