• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust donut check

redrx1rkt

Expert
Website
www.snowdevils.net
Just checking...

I just fired up the sled and blocked the exhaust with a rag. RPMs dropped from 2500 rpm (cold start RPM) down to about 800 rpm and it was stumbling but did not stall. What does this indicate for my donuts?

I have replaced the donuts at least four times already in 10,000 miles. I don't seem to get the 4000-6000 miles out of them that others do. Typically they need to be replaced every season. With 2,200 miles on them already this year, I was wondering if they were gone yet.

Can't really answer your question but I do remember reading where guys have filed/grinded the clamps so they fit tighter.
Seems the factory clamps when tight are still not tight enough?

redrx1rkt said:
Just checking...

I just fired up the sled and blocked the exhaust with a rag. RPMs dropped from 2500 rpm (cold start RPM) down to about 800 rpm and it was stumbling but did not stall. What does this indicate for my donuts?

I have replaced the donuts at least four times already in 10,000 miles. I don't seem to get the 4000-6000 miles out of them that others do. Typically they need to be replaced every season. With 2,200 miles on them already this year, I was wondering if they were gone yet.
Generally it backfires alot more than normal when they start to go,if you go thru that many than you must have a good feel for when they start to go,but you should not have to go thru that many,there must be a fix,someone said they have copper ones that seem to work.

Thanks mnmsnowbeast...actually, all the times they have been replaced it never backfired, just made the ticking sound underneath. I have never done this many miles in one season though. They usually blow after 2000 miles. In fact, it has become part of the season ending maintenance along with the chaincase oil, engine oil, etc.

My dilemma is whether or not to keep running it with the gaskets partially blown or replace them now. Supposedly the SS pipe is a lot tougher so if they do blow out it won't cause any expensive damage.

redrx1rkt said:
Thanks mnmsnowbeast...actually, all the times they have been replaced it never backfired, just made the ticking sound underneath. I have never done this many miles in one season though. They usually blow after 2000 miles. In fact, it has become part of the season ending maintenance along with the chaincase oil, engine oil, etc.

My dilemma is whether or not to keep running it with the gaskets partially blown or replace them now. Supposedly the SS pipe is a lot tougher so if they do blow out it won't cause any expensive damage.
When mine on my 06 attak/apex lost its donuts,it was backfiring bad,and losing power,on wfo runs,where before it would run say 120 mph,after it was down to 110 same conditions,my dealer new right away what it was,at the time alot of us,had not had alot of failures at that time,so it was not well documented than,but everdently now it is.

redrx1rkt said:
How many miles do yours last? BTW I did the "block exhaust with a rag and hand" trick, once when engine was cold, once when warm. It stalled both times within 10 seconds. Perhaps I do not have a problem after all...?
Mine had about 3000 very hard miles,i mean fast top speed,which i think helps burn them out so quickly.

redrx1rkt said:

Take the hour or so and check the donuts. I know its a PITA but I think it would be worth a sneak peak. Them donuts are cheaper than headers and SS Y-pipes.
The other telltale sign that they are leaking is when you have smoke or steam coming up arond the handlebars when you come to a stop.

Steiner - I do not have any steam or exhaust smell coming up through the handlebars. I checked underneath after first starting it (when lots of steam is coming out of tailpipes) and did not see any steam coming out, like I have seen in years past.

An hour? Thats how long it takes to tear all that crap off??? I have never done it before so I would be a little nervous taking so many parts off, even with RocketDan's step-by-step.

copper gaskets

I'm in the process of replacing mine now. i have a cracked silencer pipe, so might as well do them while it's apart. Does anyone know where to get copper gaskets?

Back