• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust dounut question - torx or allen

Tod

Lifetime Member
The two bolts to remove under the seat closest to the flex pipes or closest to the dounuts that hold the Y pipes to the tunnel.....are they 5m allen heads or are thay torx heads?? Mine have never been done and are pretty rusty, I cant really get the 5mm allen socket in there and it really does not look like a torx head.

I can take a pic and post if needed............

Thanks,
Tod

well I did get my 5mm allen socket pounded in there but the bolts are not going to move. I know Dan says to move the exhaust back but has anyone had luck with just removing the flex pipes and getting the new dounuts in there............of cours my next issue will be that the 8 flex pipe bolts or the clamps will problably not move eaither....

I had to heat the bolts to get them out. When working on my fathers sled, we broke one and easily found a replacement at home depot.

Just as easy to drill the rivets that hold the bracket in place. Takes a LOT less time. I bolted mine back in with stainless bolts with high temp neversieze on the threads.

Dave ;)!

bolts

you can soak over nite with pb blaster,wd-40 or amsoil metal protecter
when you get the allen in all the way don't try to turn them you have to snap it fast.

I could not get mine out, but i managed to get the flex pipes out didnt have to move the entire exhaust back. just a thought

-James

Tod said:
well I did get my 5mm allen socket pounded in there but the bolts are not going to move. I know Dan says to move the exhaust back but has anyone had luck with just removing the flex pipes and getting the new dounuts in there............of cours my next issue will be that the 8 flex pipe bolts or the clamps will problably not move eaither....

I drilled out the heads of those bolts and used easyout sockets that go over the threaded part of the bolt and removed them from under the tunnel. I know it sounds complicated but it worked great and was easy and fast.

thanks for the replies guys.... I hope to get back on it tonight...was hoping to not have to pull or drop the skid......but in light of it all that is just a small task i guess.......

Tod

Tod said:
thanks for the replies guys.... I hope to get back on it tonight...was hoping to not have to pull or drop the skid......but in light of it all that is just a small task i guess.......

Tod

dropping the skid isnt difficult, the nice part about your case is its summer and warm and in no real hurry to get it all back together.

-James ;)!

If you have an acetylene torch stick the tip of the torch through the hole and heat the head of the bolt till cherry red and have a water bottle ready to cool it instantly, Usually two times like this and they will come out real easy, If not do it one more time and they will come out. The rapid heating and cooling brakes the rust down and hardens the bolt. No need to drop the skid, Just loosen the clamp's and Work the pip's back, Simple. You will be amazed how easy it is. kviper

everything is off or loose - its just those two 5mm allen head pipe bracket bolts. i have striped the 5mm allen socket through the head of the bolts so I think i will weld a nut or short bolt to the head and then cool it down right away like Kviper said and see how that goes........

Tod

PS - this really is an easy job, just allot of disassembly but pretty sttraight forward especially using Rockerdans wright up for first timers. And if i did not have an issue with these two bolts i would be done already......

The heating and rapid cooling would have hardened the head's so they would not have rounded out. This is an old trick auto mechanics use on exhaust manifold bolt's as well as many other thing's that i have found. Good luck! kviper

yes - I stripped them out before i got to your post.....lol

I guess I will try welding to the head and cool right away and that will do the same thing for me as far as breaking the rust loose. Then I can get a good socket on the nut or bolt that I weld to the bolt head.

I stripped mine out too when doing it, but was able to cut a slot in the bolt head with a Dremel tool. Then grabbed the biggest slotted screw driver I had...after heating the bolt a couple times with a torch, I was able to get them loose. Went ahead and put stainless bolts in so shouldn't be a problem next time it needs it.

Back