• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust ticket with MPI Quiet muffler

HYB90RID

Veteran
Hey guys,

I have a 2016 MTX SE MPI Turbo kit "Quiet Muffler" which was a Snowcheck option that yer being a fully Authorized by Yamaha.
Went out riding in Quebec Canada last weekend with a buddy and we got pulled over "Free weekend" Cops says remove your panels.

Friend has a stock cat ZR7000 with stock muffler but he cut out some of the baffles in so it actually make a little more noise. Cops looks at his muffler yep you're good you have a DOT number on it. Looks at my sled which is actually quieter than my friends and Nope, no number you're illegal. A stock Sidewinder pulls up, clearly louder that mine, remove your panel, sees it has the number on the muffler. He's good to go.

Tried to tell him came from Yamaha, Showed him email from the dealer saying fully Authorized kit, showed him some links online to prove you can get them from Yamaha.
He gave me his email and sent him whatever other information I could find online "including picture from the MPI site that states muffler meets OEM sound requirements etc. His email back, as I told you in the trail, there has been a law since 2001 that there needs to be a number on the muffler that way we do not have to check decibel readings. The number is there it meets all laws. Your ticket will be in the mail.

Has anyone ever run into this issue? Did you ever receive any type of paperwork from Yamaha? I've contacted Yamaha Canada and so far nothing they can do for me, she said call MPI who are out of business.

The MPI muffler may meet Yamaha's noise requirements but that doesn't mean it's trail legal because it's not certified to meet the S.S.C.C standards, hence why it doesn't have the S.S.C.C. Certified Yamaha Motor Co LTD stamped into the shell.

Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee (SSCC), snowmobiles are certified by an independent testing company as being in compliance with all SSCC safety standards. The SSCC standard sets maximum permission sound levels of no more than 78dB(A) at 50 feet when the snowmobile is traveling at full throttle and no more than 73 dB(A) at 50 feet when the snowmobile is traveling at 15 mph.

"The SSCC standard exceeds state government standards in all snowbelt states"... "Under Transport Canada regulations, all new snowmobiles sold in Canada since 1987 are required to meet the current SSCC standards"... Hence the reason why the cops are within their legal boundaries to just have to look for this certification stamping as this visual verification is way more consistent and easier & quicker than having to perform a manual decibel test with very specific parameters and too many variables in the field.

Manufacturers have to have an independent testing laboratory determine that the model is in compliance with the SSCC standard in order to stamp a muffler as such. Obviously Yamaha nor MPI paid the $$$ to have that muffler certified.

Sorry, pay the fine.

Last edited:
Just a real pain in the #*$&@, guess now I'll have to sell my sled and buy something else if I wanna ride Quebec. Fine says can be $350-2000.
Also kind of stupid since I could just completely gut the exhaust but because it has Stamping number it passes.

You'd need to find a cheater muffler, that reuses the stock heat shield shell with the SSCC stamping on it.

I had a cop who wanted me to open the hood of my RS venture GT. Uh, the muffler in under the tunnel so you'll have to bend over and look over the skid. "Oh, OK, never mind". I'm an old fart riding on a Venture, yeah, I totally canned it :rofl:. And he heard me come in so. He was an old crusty constable that was never promoted.

AFAIK, you are not obligated to open whatsoever that is not visible or not in plain sight. I would have refused to that cop and asked what his justification or power to search is. Anything found from an illegal search becomes the fruit of that search and inadmissible as evidence. I would fight it in court on those grounds. If you are arrested, only then do they have the power to search your vehicle without a warrant incidental to arrest. Also, that's when a helmet cam is useful ;)

However, Quebec has weird laws. For instance, they have the power to compel you to open the trunk of your car to verify that you have a spare tire as part of a "safety check". If they happen to find anything illegal, ie: drugs, during this safety check, it's legal, arrest you and then search the rest of the vehicle incidental to arrest.

BTW, I don't condone cans.

Just get those tools that you can stamp the appropriate letters on your muffler.
Or find a junk muffler, cut that part out and weld it into yours.

I had a cop who wanted me to open the hood of my RS venture GT. Uh, the muffler in under the tunnel so you'll have to bend over and look over the skid. "Oh, OK, never mind". I'm an old fart riding on a Venture, yeah, I totally canned it :rofl:. And he heard me come in so. He was an old crusty constable that was never promoted.

AFAIK, you are not obligated to open whatsoever that is not visible or not in plain sight. I would have refused to that cop and asked what his justification or power to search is. Anything found from an illegal search becomes the fruit of that search and inadmissible as evidence. I would fight it in court on those grounds. If you are arrested, only then do they have the power to search your vehicle without a warrant incidental to arrest. Also, that's when a helmet cam is useful ;)

However, Quebec has weird laws. For instance, they have the power to compel you to open the trunk of your car to verify that you have a spare tire as part of a "safety check". If they happen to find anything illegal, ie: drugs, during this safety check, it's legal, arrest you and then search the rest of the vehicle incidental to arrest.

BTW, I don't condone cans.
I have the trail can which is just as quiet as stock and actually quieter than a stock Sidewinder. I have no intensions on making a whole bunch of noise in the trails.

Meant to say "loud cans" :)
My son has a loud can on his Nytro, some MBRP something, and I'm just waiting for the day he gets a ticket for it. He can't say daddy didn't tell him.

Back