• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

extreme cold starting attakgt

Hot water on the cylinder head works for me when it's real cold and sleds won't start. When hot water is available that is...

Same problem 2011 Apex. Was in Mt Laurier last week (1-18-12). Had to take the sled to the dealer to warm it up and installed new plugs. The same thing happened the next day. I didn't want to spend the $100 and 2hrs to take it back to the deal so I worked on it myself. After pulling the plugs 3x and torching out the excessive fuel I did get it to start. It didn't cost $100 but took me 3 hrs to pull the plugs multiple times. I tried cracking the throttle when it first fired but shut right down. Yamaha has a problem that needs to get addressed here.This is the third time this has happened and it is not right. Anyone have any ideas to correct this problem?

I agree, serious problem that should not be happening. Must be something to due with coolant temperature sensor since once I poured hot water over the thermostat housing it fired right up.

Theres lots lots of parts moving around these engines,and when its that cold they are way stiffer,fuel pump is also slower,battery weaker..maybe you should try jumping off another machine (even if your battery is good) "extra power" >>once yours is running,the other machine jumps off you... ;)! :yam: :4STroke: :rules :letsnow:

I learned a couple of tricks with my RX1 when theyfirst came out. We ran intoi temps as low as -60 one time. Anyway, the first thing is to use AMSOIL 0W40, they crank much easier. The second and this sounds hokey, but a buddy swore it would help and it seemed to....At night just before we cashed in for the night, we would go out and start them up for a short time, then full choke and shut down. The next morning they seem to roll over much easier. I remember a -45 morning, the Yami, Doo, and Polaris 2 smokes were picking on us getting the 4 strokes started. we did the choke thing, they did not. We started up quickly, they pulled their sleds backwards with the recoil! It took 2 guys to hold the sleds and 2 to pull the rip cord until we turned them over a couple of times.

RedRX1 said:
I learned a couple of tricks with my RX1 when theyfirst came out. We ran intoi temps as low as -60 one time. Anyway, the first thing is to use AMSOIL 0W40, they crank much easier. The second and this sounds hokey, but a buddy swore it would help and it seemed to....At night just before we cashed in for the night, we would go out and start them up for a short time, then full choke and shut down. The next morning they seem to roll over much easier. I remember a -45 morning, the Yami, Doo, and Polaris 2 smokes were picking on us getting the 4 strokes started. we did the choke thing, they did not. We started up quickly, they pulled their sleds backwards with the recoil! It took 2 guys to hold the sleds and 2 to pull the rip cord until we turned them over a couple of times.
Yes this works cause your washing down the cylinders with fuel by flipping the choke,no man choke on apex... :4STroke:

RX1MPete said:
Hot water on the cylinder head works for me when it's real cold and sleds won't start. When hot water is available that is...

I have done this a few times now with success, on 07 and 11 apex's.

Get a bucket of hot water and use by siphon hose to pour hot water over the carb boots and cyl head.

Kaz

cold start

We've posted this a few times. It works everytime for us and we have had 5 apexs and put over 30000 miles total on them.

When cold starting continue to hold the key to start position 3 seconds AFTER they fire and start running. That keeps them from killing and the problem with fouling the plugs.And do not touch the throttle until the red light goes out.

farmdude, how often do you get temps down to -30F when you start your sleds that way? I had tried what you suggested at -30F and it didn't work for me. I never had issues above -15F.

starting

WOW, 30 below. I'm way to much of a wimp to ride at that temp anytime. But sure have started the Apexs at 20 below with no problem useing that method when I "have" to ride with friends visiting up here in the UP for a weekend.
Use to put tank heaters on them, but found there was no need.
Plus gotta lots of crap about "pluging in" our sleds. lol

Im starting to think that the sledstart might be the most reliable way to get these sleds going when its really cold outside!

tomanytoyz said:
Theres lots lots of parts moving around these engines,and when its that cold they are way stiffer,fuel pump is also slower,battery weaker..maybe you should try jumping off another machine (even if your battery is good) "extra power" >>once yours is running,the other machine jumps off you... ;)! :yam: :4STroke: :rules :letsnow:

x2. Once one is running, add that juice to the next. Been out only a few times at -40. Mine started fine after a slow crank. My buddies didn't want to start but had battery. Eventually (within 1minute) we held his flipper to the bar until she started. Both 06 Apex GTs.

here's what works for my two '06s

No thumb on throttle at start. Turn key until it pops, but KEEP the starter running for 5 seconds until it is running, Then slowly feed a tiny amount of throttle to bring up RPM a bit. Hold for a while until you are sure it will hold its own idle... You only get one shot..

If you run the battery down before it pops don't touch the throttle. jump it. and follow steps above. If you mess with the throttle to much without it starting it gets confused...

hope this helps

Back