• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Factory wastegate crack pressure

Jondmdp

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
02 Mach Z
Spring checked ‘22 sidewinder SRX
I’ve search all over and seen the few threads on this topic but no definitive answers. What should the factory wastegate crack pressure be? I’ve seen answers from 6-7 psi up to 10psi. I understand that everyone’s tools for testing can vary, but I also starting to wonder if the springs are inconsistent from the factory.

Mine is opening at 6-7 psi, on a Matco gauge so im confident it’s accurate. My problem is on Maxspool 20 I’m not seeing the boost that I read most others see. When I punch it, I don’t see a spike of any kind at the beginning, it goes up quickly to 17psi and levels out, then during a 6 second pull, it slowly Increases to 19psi. Most I’ve ever seen on ms20 in a log is 19.5psi
IMG_5389.png

Now same day, same log, I stop and switch down to eco trail tune just to do a blast for comparison. When I punch it, boost quickly climbs to near 16 psi (spikes at beginning of run). Then settles down to 14psi for remainder of the pull
IMG_5390.png

I’ve boost leak tested this thing to death, fixed every known issue, sealed exhaust v band flanges. This is a stock exhaust manifold setup on a 2022 SRX. Big fuel pump, and regulator. From anything I’ve read anywhere on the internet, I should be seeing a spike of boost at the beginning of the pass and boost should settle down to just above 20. Not intrested just yet in getting a different wastegate setup, as I’ve seen plenty of guys seeing more boost on a factory one. But if guys are seeing crack pressures closer to 10 on the factory wastegate, I’m thinking about shimming the mount bolts to get mine to crack higher and see if it gets my boost on MS20 where it should be. Any thought?

HAve u removed throttle body clamp spacers and cut them down ?

HAve u removed throttle body clamp spacers and cut them down ?
Yep, I cut the spacers down half the thickness they started. all know boost leak issues that I’ve ever read about have been addressed. I’m not a big poster on here, but a non stop reader. I’ve tested it up 25psi a handful of times last winter.

I tested mine at 9 lbs. stock crack pressure many times.

What are you using for intake and muffler?

I tested mine at 9 lbs. stock crack pressure many times.

What are you using for intake and muffler?
TD’s Super quiet 3” and under hood “cold” air intake. Last spring I took the side cover and muffler off and made blast up the yard, no change in boost.

What year sled have you tested at 9lbs? Reason I ask is this issue is actually happening on my buddies thundercat that I installed the exact same setup on. Sleds are setup identical engine performance wise. Both 2022’s. I’ve built and treated his sled just like my own. All normal issues have been looked into and addressed. Thats what got me talking about the gate. Just wondering if Yamaha changed suppliers on the wastegate/spring and why we re seeing different crack pressures

To the best of my knowledge there is not a different tune for different model years so the tuners are assuming crack pressure to be consistent through the model years. I know there was an issue tune wise with the header installed reaching 20 psi. THats why they came out with a WG upgrade. I’d call TD on Monday

Replace your stock inter cooler with a larger one and you will see a major gain in performance, huge! Biggest overlooked component in my opinion. Was designed for 10lbs of boost, or don’t.

TD’s Super quiet 3” and under hood “cold” air intake. Last spring I took the side cover and muffler off and made blast up the yard, no change in boost.

What year sled have you tested at 9lbs? Reason I ask is this issue is actually happening on my buddies thundercat that I installed the exact same setup on. Sleds are setup identical engine performance wise. Both 2022’s. I’ve built and treated his sled just like my own. All normal issues have been looked into and addressed. Thats what got me talking about the gate. Just wondering if Yamaha changed suppliers on the wastegate/spring and why we re seeing different crack pressures

2017 and 2018 I've checked. Both 9 lbs spot on.

Replace your stock inter cooler with a larger one and you will see a major gain in performance, huge! Biggest overlooked component in my opinion. Was designed for 10lbs of boost, or don’t.

The only thing that changes is a decrease in temps by about 20 degrees or so. No change in boost by changing intercoolers whatsoever.

Nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with flow of air at boost psi. And where is waste gate getting its reference signal from? But maybe I assume to much.

Nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with flow of air at boost psi. And where is waste gate getting its reference signal from? But maybe I assume to much.

That’s actually the only performance setup difference between the 2 sleds. The Cat has a stock intercooler on it, my SRX has a TurboR cooler. Seeing the exact same issue on both sleds. So the problems not there. Thanks for your input tho

To the best of my knowledge there is not a different tune for different model years so the tuners are assuming crack pressure to be consistent through the model years. I know there was an issue tune wise with the header installed reaching 20 psi. THats why they came out with a WG upgrade. I’d call TD on Monday
Yeah I plan on contacting them eventually here soon, just doing some digging on my own first.

2017 and 2018 I've checked. Both 9 lbs spot on.
Would be nice if someone had a sled from the earlier years sitting next to a brand new one and could tested both with the same tester.
Or even if anyone has a wastegate from an earlier sidewinder sitting on the self id buy just to test against mine.

image.jpg
this is how I achieve more boost by adding an external spring to the waste gate arm, unconventional but does work

Who’s tune are you running with that extra spring in the waste gate arm ?

Back