• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Feeling a bit Fuelish

Thanks, I thought the timing would be good considering the prices we all pay at the pump are about to take another jump.

My truck says "Premium Only" on the filler cap yet I've run mostly 87 octane for most of the 2 years and 40,000 miles I've owned it. Periodic testing showed me an ever so slight increase in fuel milegage when using premium but not enough to justify the cost difference. The engine control system simply adjusts to compensate using its knock sensors.

Thats an interesting article.
I know that some of the newer Toyota cars and trucks say in the owner's manual that "for OPTIMUM performance" you should run 93. Im on a few Toyota forums and people there say they dont notice a difference in how their engine runs from 87 to 93 octane fuel.
Myself, if my engine could gain a few hp on 93, Id probably put it in if I knew I was going to be hauling a heavy load, but normally I wouldnt.
The oil companies make enough money, why give them any more than you have to?
Cap'n

We use regular in the wifes civic. It calls for the next one up but the car can't tell the difference. I use the middle grade in the Grizzly as it is low compression. I use it for short trips around town cause it gets 20=mpg. :D

Back