• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Feeling Guilty

coolio

Pro
Last week I rode a buddy's 19 Ski Doo Renegade Enduro with the 900 Ace turbo and I really liked it a lot! I've been a loyal Yamaha rider for 30 yrs owning countless sleds but I am quite disappointed with any new Yamacat sleds. I love my 14 Apex XTX but I really don't care for the Yamacat Winder and its issues. The Doo 4 stroke was smooth, powerful, comfortable, and steered great. He gets 20mpg+ all the time! It has an awesome seat, seat position, and bars. The luggage and fuel can system is awesome. You can't put anything on a winder tunnel or it will bend. I've got 9k miles on my Apex and I will need to replace it eventually. If the enduro came with a 146 inch track I may have already ordered a new one. I almost felt ashamed at the Doo dealer, lol. What is Yamaha going to offer? What does a guy like me do?

Does he sidewinder really have all these issues people are hinting at? I thought we buy Yamaha for its quality? hmmm I'm confused? :home:

Well, I'm not misinformed on the Side Winder. A good friend of mine has one and I've ridden it often and I've done most of the service work on it for him. Servicing a winder sucks totally and that is undeniable. Furthermore, his dealer has told him no fuel can on the tunnel multiple times. The dealer has had several bent tunnels and they say no more than 5lbs on tunnel. Face it, the Yamaha engine is great, the Cat sled sucks. I haven't even mentioned the incessant racket that comes from a winder, oh and the freight train like steering. I'm just being honest here.

I have miles on my winder and I carry 35 lbs on my tunnel always and whatever else I add for the day. there are 3 issues with the winder and can be addressed and fixed and then you have the most powerful and capable sled on the trail.

Last week I rode a buddy's 19 Ski Doo Renegade Enduro with the 900 Ace turbo and I really liked it a lot! I've been a loyal Yamaha rider for 30 yrs owning countless sleds but I am quite disappointed with any new Yamacat sleds. I love my 14 Apex XTX but I really don't care for the Yamacat Winder and its issues. The Doo 4 stroke was smooth, powerful, comfortable, and steered great. He gets 20mpg+ all the time! It has an awesome seat, seat position, and bars. The luggage and fuel can system is awesome. You can't put anything on a winder tunnel or it will bend. I've got 9k miles on my Apex and I will need to replace it eventually. If the enduro came with a 146 inch track I may have already ordered a new one. I almost felt ashamed at the Doo dealer, lol. What is Yamaha going to offer? What does a guy like me do?
Well its your money, and if the Ski doo makes you happy and puts a smile on your face, then why the heck not, try one it just may be the nicest riding sled you have ever ridden, all sleds have problems, you have been more than loyal to Yamaha and still are, the wool on black sheep can be just as warm!!!

How many miles have you put on a Winder?

Have any of you guys rode this sled with the Ace turbo? I rode an 18 ski doo etec 850 and I didn't like it. It seemed very buzzy sounding and feeling to me. However this enduro was totally different. As a total package Doo really has this sled figured out, right down to the mirrors. And that Linq system is terrific. I can't carry fuel on my Apex and I have to screw around with straps and buckles when I saddle bag tour. Click, Doo's luggage locks on in 2 seconds.

My buddy rides a winder, he carries fuel and luggage right behind his seat. The stackable gas caddy and luggage bag from doo. The reason the tunnels are bending on some is because guys are putting the gas caddy at the very back of the tunnel. You have to carry the gas in the same place on the doo as well otherwise the same thing can happen. I dont own a winder, but I’ve had 1 viper previous to the 2 i now own. The serviceability can be a bit of a pain for some things but most are not that bad. I jumped ship to an 850 skidoo last year and it was the biggest mistake I made in a while. Skidoo is junk on many levels. Between all 3 of my vipers we’ve put on about 15,000kms and the only real problem I’ve had was a primary clutch bushing failing at around 4000kms which isn’t normal. Other than that, just normal wear and tear and obviously maintenance and I’ve had nothing but smiles on these sleds! Vipers and sidewinders are the best sleds on the market right now, just my opinion though. I hope you don’t end up making the same mistake I made. Good luck!

Have any of you guys rode this sled with the Ace turbo? I rode an 18 ski doo etec 850 and I didn't like it. It seemed very buzzy sounding and feeling to me. However this enduro was totally different. As a total package Doo really has this sled figured out, right down to the mirrors. And that Linq system is terrific. I can't carry fuel on my Apex and I have to screw around with straps and buckles when I saddle bag tour. Click, Doo's luggage locks on in 2 seconds.
The link system is excellent. It would certainly be nice if the tunnel had a little more strength so that Winderowners could use this stuff without fear of damage.

Personally about 50 miles. My buddy with his winder rides with me often and I service his for him. I rode the Doo about 30 miles.
I was just asking as it seemed you were comparing the new Doo to the Apex, which is not apples to apples.
I like my Winder because it is the only thing on the market that can satisfy the hardcore speed junkies like myself.

Well I hope you buy it and enjoy it, that's what sledding is about, never mind the Debbie downers, snowmobile riders should be happy for you its a big investment, plus we would hope you give us a full Yamaha veteran's review on the good stuff and the bad and keep us updated on how it performs with all the add on accessories.

Maybe you should go on Doo Talk and tell them your gonna buy a Yamaha and see what kind of honest discussion you get over there. If the Ski Doo is what you want go on and buy it. I'm surely not going to talk you out of it.

Back