• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Few questions on VL

MNicefisher said:
So I happened to be in the area of where this sled is for sale so I stopped and looked at it again but unfortunately they didn't have enough snow for me to test ride it again. The sled did seem to run right from what I could tell now. I looked the sled over for about 25 min and now I have way more questions.

The motor cranked for 10 to 15 seconds to fire then a few more cranks after if fired to start and run, it was about 32*. It started right up after the motor warmed up. I never had a 2 stroke carb take that long to fire up at that temp and thought an efi would almost fire up like a efi car being it was that warm. Is this normal? I know about the cold start update but this isn't cold being 32* above.

Without the cold weather update, it always takes longer to start. Mine took about 6-8 revolutions to start all the time. After the update, 4 max. There is no ill effect to this, just takes longer to start unless you're in very cold weather and need to have it start faster.

When looking under the tunnel there was a black piece of factory looking curved plastic starting after the muffler and went back to the end of the tunnel. I've never seen this in any of the pics around herer on tunnel icing, is this a factory update for the icing problem? It defiantly a factory piece not homemade. Far as I know there hasn't been a factory fix for the icing so I'm guessing its always been there.

Yep, always been there. Mine has it. I can tell you it's not a fix for icing.

I went to check the front shocks and pushed down and the sled didn't even move are the front shocks adjustable? I never looked at them. Maybe they were cranked all the way. Back moved just fine.

The shocks are not adjustable, not even on the MP with high pressure gas shocks. Could the the spring pre-load are adjusted too high. I know mine are screwed about 3/4 down. If you want adjustable shocks, I think a Phazer's should fit but may not have enough damping for the added weight of the VL. All that does is adjust how it dampens the movement, doesn't stop it fro moving. Just slows it down.

All in all I liked the sled more this time then the first time but after looking at the track I did notice the lugs on the outer right side had about 3/8" torn off on almost every row and a few torn lugs hear and there all over. i think most if not all where just around 3/8" missing. It would probably be just fine but I think I would want a new track in another year and it would be a 16" wide when I do it so now I'm thinking the price after a new track is getting up there and with the revers I don't think I would be confident putting the track on my self so even more money to bring it to the dealer.

Mine has over 6000Km and I'm missing a couple lugs, some are torn and pretty worn down. I'll probably do another season or two with it. At 2500 miles on the one you're looking at, it shouldn't be nearly as bad as mine. I've run tracks that had more cracks in it than a plumber's convention. Reverse would have absolutely nothing to do with replacing the track. It's basically the same as any other sled since only the drive shaft is removed. The jack shaft where the reverse gear is stays put.

So I went to the dealer today to check on the price of the 8GC-10 ecu for the cold start update and was told $500.00. I found some 08 and newer used ecu's but from what I understand the newer sleds where never updated with the 8gc-10.

I really like the sled but with the condition it's in (rust every where,torn seat, sloppy steering scratch panels and torn lugs on track) and now you add 500.00 for a new ecu just to be safe it will start when it's -25 in the morning on my lake of the woods fishing trips, its starting to lose its appeal fast.

The updated ECU was applied to 08 and newer models as the updated was only for 07 so an 08 ECU would work.

If it really doesn't feel right to you, pass on it. It's probably not worth it to try and make yourself think it will be OK. Another one will come by and you'll be better prepared as to what to look for.

I didn't realize that. I was doing some reading and people were complaining about yamaha not putting that ecu in the newer sled and people where speculating it was because yamaha had a supply of the old 8gp-00 and others said it was because not every one had a problem with starting, mainly if you lived in a warmer climate.

So all the 08 and up start around 4 revolutions?

Yup. My son's 09 Phazer starts quick, just like my updated MP. The bulletin for this update only applied to 07's, which means that later models incorporated it.

So you still thinking of getting that sled?

Thanks for letting me know that. Finding a used 08 or newer ecu between now and next winter for a few hundred bucks shouldn't be all that hard.

Now I'm back to thinking of getting it. I've been looking at sleds since I joined the site after selling my AC t570 and keep coming back to this VL for some reason. I think it's because there's nothing else like it looks wise, and I love the size of the rear rack.

The one thing I'm not sure on how difficult it would be to fix is the 1" play if you look at the end of the handle bars and turn them left to right. The tie rod ends are good so it must be worn at the steering shaft.

Congrats! :Rockon: For a 2500 mile machine, I think that's a good deal. Any pictures?

For any of your questions, you can post them here. Lots of helpful people here ;)!

I still have a 1' 1/2 of snow in my woods so I got to try it some today too! No pics yet but I will get some up. Believe me I will have more questions then member will want to answer!

Back