• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Filling Radiator Fluid

RobX-1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 50th Apex XT-X, 08 40th Apex LTX GT, 08 40th Nytro RTX, & 03 RX-1
I needed to add radiator fluid to my Apex and know of the bleeder screw on the rear heat exchanger needs to be higher than radiator cap and reservoir when bleeding system so pushed my sled down the ramp of my trailer so nose was lower than rear. As I added fluid, I ensured the level did not go higher than the fill arrows on the reservoir so as not to fill into overflow tank. We then noticed a puddle under the sled and here it appears either my front heat exchanger is leaking or somehow the fluid ran out some over flow tube and down onto the tunnel heat exchangers. Thinking I had a leak in the exchanger, we pushed sled back into the trailer and called it a day. It wasn't until this morning that I'm now wondering if by the way I had the sled situated, it somehow overflowed and made it seemed it was leaking out of the front heat exchanger. I'm now wondering if I try to add fluid when the sled is level, it's still in the trailer but would be level, would it fill properly. I've looked at the microfiche and do not see a overflow tube other than the tube that connects the nipple on the spout where the radiator cap screws into. I thought by only pouring in enough to maintain level between fill arrows on the reservoir that I would prevent the fluid from going into the overflow tank, especially since I know I did not fill it clear to the top as I was adding in fluid. However, is it possible that by having the front of the sled lowered like I had that it did in fact flow out some overflow tube or am I looking at a leaking front heat exchanger? :dunno:

I guess the first thing I would question is why did you need to add coolant? I would suspect if you did not overfill the overflow tank you may have a leak some where.
In a system that does not have a leak in it the only way coolant comes out is via the overflow tank. The overflow tank spits out excess coolant thru a hose down under the motor. Depending how the sled is sitting coolant will drain out of the belly pan near the lower A arms or near the front exchanger.
I test my system for leaks by putting pressurized air into the main tank via the coming from the overflow tank.

Back