• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Rs Vector smell of antifreeze while riding

bleedyamaha

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder Rtx Le 2012 Yamaha Vector Ltx
Wife was riding her Vector. We came to a stop and could smell antifreeze. Reservoir and coolant tank were empty. Could see fluid at bottom of split. Before the ride Ii filled the reservoir tank to proper level. Coolant check light didn’t come on but you can smell antifreeze for 78 miles. There was some antifreeze around the coolant tank area. Could the radiator cap be bad ? Can I pressure test through the reservoir?

Wife was riding her Vector. We came to a stop and could smell antifreeze. Reservoir and coolant tank were empty. Could see fluid at bottom of split. Before the ride Ii filled the reservoir tank to proper level. Coolant check light didn’t come on but you can smell antifreeze for 78 miles. There was some antifreeze around the coolant tank area. Could the radiator cap be bad ? Can I pressure test through the reservoir?
Yes you can pressure test thru the cap at the resi. Maybe you have a loose clamp.

I had a similar problem that turned out to be the head gasket. Not finding an actual leak, put the overflow hose into a bottle and see if it catches the coolant. Mine would blow out coolant whenever I would romp on the throttle.

Check waterpump area on left side of engine.
If the seal leaks antifreeze will come out the weep hole on the waterpump.

Thanks everyone. I vote for Mr Sleds suggestion. Lesser of all evils. The only fluid as in drops were around the reservoir. The odor was there when you stopped.

Back