• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Finally ,, the 1st ride !

FrostyNutz

Lifetime Member
I couldn't take it anymore so I loaded up my sled and a friends new 600etec BC. We only needed to travel 5 km's to reach our destination,, a logging road with enough snow to scratch the itch . The weather was wet and the snow was slushy . I had no issues but my buddy had the check engine ( Change Engine ;):D ) light come on in the first 20Km's. Not the temp light as expected with the lack of snow.

My 1st impression of the XTX

-darting is an issue,,, front limiter up 1 notch, front shocks 3 extra turns on spring , no compression change.
-no noticable ski lift
-handwarmers were fine at 75% ,,,, it was not cold 0*cel
-Power ,. very linear with no big hit . It's got balls but I was hoping for more arm stretch. It's fresh so I have my fingers crossed it will get more explosive after more break in miles and better conditions.
-rear suspension was stiff . I have not made any adjustments
-front was plush and totally Ohlins over the washboard bumps ,, I love it !
-EPS ,, well done Yamaha ! I understand now what some where saying about it feeling loose at first . After a few mins I realized how sweet this is going to be on some of our twisty trails.
-HYFAX WEAR IS RIDICULOUS !! 91km's and IMO they are shot ,, WTF ?? The brand new 600 Gade with a 1 3/4" track had basically no wear. Yes I tried the heat cycling theory.
-After 70KM I pinned it for a quick blast . Saw 9500rpm on the tach. Nice long legs on this sweet thing lol.

Overall i'm a little dissapointed with my new Trail sled . I think with some suspension tweaking , dartless+ carbides , scratchers, Doo wheels, new hyfax , clutching and some grip tape for the seat ,,, I will be happy :o|

It was nice to get out and ride dispite the weather. This first ride was not enough to make a judgement on the sled . I think it's going to be the Lexus I wanted, eventually . It's just going to take a few more bucks and a poop load of snow before I know for sure ;)!

:o|

;)!

I agree, they won't wear anymore than that... They will stay like that forever....

frosty your review is exactly what I feel about mine, let me know if your rpms start to come up, at 450kms im finally seeing 10100, hoping it gets to at least 10700 10800

What set of Ohlins did you put on with what spring rate? Also, if you are not happy with your sled, I would be interested....

Damn... that apex looks sweet. I want one. They really did a good job looks wise. Ilove the way the long tracks look

The RPM's seem to go up a little every time I ride mine. First ride I never saw over 9,800. Last time out I saw 10,200.
Only got 170 miles so far in not real great snow conditions and no slide rail wear at all...yet.

Has anyone tried the graphite hi performance wide slides listed in the Yamaha accessories catalog?
They are only 8 bucks more a pair than standard ones.

Has anyone noticed why Yamaha has their snow flap pointing out at almost a 45 degree angle? Not sure what the reason is, but it looks a little weird.....

The flap angle might have something to do with the long track in deep snow . I had to cut off my renegade flap ,,,every time I hit reverse in any more than 1 ft of snow , it would catch the track and begin to tear off in the tunnel . Same with the mtn Viper.

I hope your right on the hyfax ! Next trip might be longer and I would hate to wear through 100 miles from home. I'll leave them for now and hope the worst is over. I really don't want to add Doo wheels ,,,I think it might add more stress to the mounting points on the rails. I dunno

I'm lookng forward to 10800 . My fear is that with the 1 1/2" Crossover track, I may need clutching to see it . Any suggestions or advise on that ?

I will not be selling this sled for a very long time ! I have a long term plan for this baby :)

Ohlins part # YA655 Scand. Setting

Part No. Type Length Stroke Spring P/C
YA 655 36PC 419 5 132 180-53 24

SledFreak said:
Has anyone noticed why Yamaha has their snow flap pointing out at almost a 45 degree angle? Not sure what the reason is, but it looks a little weird.....

I don't know either why the snow flap is nearly horizontal. I got so much grief from friends following that I have installed the snowflap cables on my wifes and mine to keep it in place see pic. Did this on my 08's Apexes as well. On my 08 Nytro's it would go nearly horizontal with snow build up.

Attachments

• 11custom3.JPG
    11custom3.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 145
Flap on the 128 is set back also. No more issues backing up.

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 114
FrostyNutz said:
I couldn't take it anymore so I loaded up my sled and a friends new 600etec BC. We only needed to travel 5 km's to reach our destination,, a logging road with enough snow to scratch the itch . The weather was wet and the snow was slushy . I had no issues but my buddy had the check engine ( Change Engine ;):D ) light come on in the first 20Km's. Not the temp light as expected with the lack of snow.

My 1st impression of the XTX

-darting is an issue,,, front limiter up 1 notch, front shocks 3 extra turns on spring , no compression change.
-no noticable ski lift
-handwarmers were fine at 75% ,,,, it was not cold 0*cel
-Power ,. very linear with no big hit . It's got balls but I was hoping for more arm stretch. It's fresh so I have my fingers crossed it will get more explosive after more break in miles and better conditions.
-rear suspension was stiff . I have not made any adjustments
-front was plush and totally Ohlins over the washboard bumps ,, I love it !
-EPS ,, well done Yamaha ! I understand now what some where saying about it feeling loose at first . After a few mins I realized how sweet this is going to be on some of our twisty trails.
-HYFAX WEAR IS RIDICULOUS !! 91km's and IMO they are shot ,, WTF ?? The brand new 600 Gade with a 1 3/4" track had basically no wear. Yes I tried the heat cycling theory.
-After 70KM I pinned it for a quick blast . Saw 9500rpm on the tach. Nice long legs on this sweet thing lol.

Overall i'm a little dissapointed with my new Trail sled . I think with some suspension tweaking , dartless+ carbides , scratchers, Doo wheels, new hyfax , clutching and some grip tape for the seat ,,, I will be happy :o|

It was nice to get out and ride dispite the weather. This first ride was not enough to make a judgement on the sled . I think it's going to be the Lexus I wanted, eventually . It's just going to take a few more bucks and a poop load of snow before I know for sure ;)!

:o|

Frosty, similar issues with my two base Apex's. The seats believe it or not lose there slipperyness after the first 200 miles. My wife and I both noticed this. The first two rides were like riding a greased seat.

I messed around with the weight transfer rod on the Mono to try and improve the push and inside ski lift. Made some improvements, however I am going back to trying the one hole up on the limiter strap and setting the transfer rod back to middle. I also turned down three threads on the OHLIN's we are running. We pretty much smoked the Hyfax in 500 miles. I have run 06 and 08 Apex's before and understand the wear and ride them, but these wore down way faster than they should have. I am studded so the tracks may have been a bit too tight due to fear of hitting the tunnel with the studs. I shimmed the protectors 5mm already. Personally, I really do not feel any difference in the new skis over the old ones. Power steering yes, skis no. Just shimmed them this weekend and will be putting some Duece bars on the wifes. If the problem of darting does not get better then probably will be putting some Ski Doo skis on the sled. I am not going down the road with metal flanges strapped to the bottom of my skis. I want skis that perform with straight carbides. The EPS is awesome once you begin understand the process of turning fast with less effort and the engine braking improvement makes the ride that much nicer.

Frosty, try the Yamaha white secondary spring P/N 90508-60007 or the new shot peen white 60016 set at 6-1. Leave the primary stock and rack on the miles. You will love it.

Larry

[/quote]Frosty, similar issues with my two base Apex's. The seats believe it or not lose there slipperyness after the first 200 miles. My wife and I both noticed this. The first two rides were like riding a greased seat.

I messed around with the weight transfer rod on the Mono to try and improve the push and inside ski lift. Made some improvements, however I am going back to trying the one hole up on the limiter strap and setting the transfer rod back to middle. I also turned down three threads on the OHLIN's we are running. We pretty much smoked the Hyfax in 500 miles. I have run 06 and 08 Apex's before and understand the wear and ride them, but these wore down way faster than they should have. I am studded so the tracks may have been a bit too tight due to fear of hitting the tunnel with the studs. I shimmed the protectors 5mm already. Personally, I really do not feel any difference in the new skis over the old ones. Power steering yes, skis no. Just shimmed them this weekend and will be putting some Duece bars on the wifes. If the problem of darting does not get better then probably will be putting some Ski Doo skis on the sled. I am not going down the road with metal flanges strapped to the bottom of my skis. I want skis that perform with straight carbides. The EPS is awesome once you begin understand the process of turning fast with less effort and the engine braking improvement makes the ride that much nicer.[/quote]

Thanks for the info ! I was sliding all over the place so that's good news ! So you turned your Ohlins down ? Do you mean you increased spring load by 3 threads ? That's what I did and the sled seems to love it. Very smooth up front all day with no ski lift. Hopefully we will get some real snow so I can stress them out a little more lol

Back