• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First impressions of the 2009 RS Venture GT

hondo

VIP Member
I was the first one in the Northeast to ride this very capable machine.

I really liked the 2009 RS Venture GT.

Yamaha did a nice job incorporating features into the sled that we as consumers have been asking for.

Here are the notables: There are more that I probably did not notice.

* Adjustable back rest for two up and solo touring.

* Very generous trunk space.

* Fuel Injection; and instant throttle response.

* Nytro motor detuned for a better low end torque band.

* 6 HP increase over carbureted Genesis 120. This sled has plenty of motor for a touring sled. The response of the sled is very impressive.

* 5% fuel ecomomy increase over Genesis 120.

* Clicker shocks front, and middle suspension with a very nice range of adjustability.

* The sled handles bumps well.

* No more two up white pre-load spring blocks.

* Black H-M-L spring blocks remain. I actually set the suspension up the way I prefer, and the sled responded very well despite being a new sled.

* More rider neutral than forward position.

* You sit slightly higher than the old RS Venture.

* Engine breaking is more like the Apex. The breaking releases sooner at the bottom.

* The passenger hand rails have an up and down adjustment.

* The passenger grips covers are made of rubber for a better heat transfer.

* Did not have a track howl. The sled is very quiet, but you do here a slight chain case wind similar to the old RS Venture.

* Increased side wind protection, however did feel some wind in my chest.

* Smaller aluminum oil filter access panel on the bottom of the sled in the same location as the old RS Venture.

* Snow flap is redesigned and extended out so should not get caught or tuck under in reverse.

* Nicely styled wheels, the bearings are replaceable.

* Built in electric shield port for your electric helmet shield.

Not a big issue:

* The seats are one piece, so one can't take out the passenger seat for additional cargo space, however when solo touring a travel bag fits nicely on or across the passenger seat, and can be easily secured to the back rest bracket and passenger hand rails.

Behind the luggage compartment where the sliver screw caps are, one can install a rear rack which should be available as an accessory item.

Here are some photos:

2009 RS Venture GT
2009RSVentureGT.jpg

Hondo and GT
2009VentureGTHondo.jpg

GT Side view
VentureGTsideview.jpg

Waiting for fuel
Waitingforfuel.jpg

Rear view
RearRSVenture.jpg

Trunk is a very generous
GTTrunk.jpg

New sled with Odometer at 1 mile
RSVentureGTwith1mile.jpg

The unfortunate news, on Saturday. day 2, and round 2 of the demo rides, a consumer overshot a corner in very sloppy conditions, went off the trail and damaged the bumper and nose pretty bad. So the sled went on the trailer until repairs can be made.

The sled is a keeper and should make touring enthusiasts very happy!

Hope this helps! ;)!

Hondo, the wind shield seemed wide enough but looked shorter than the Extra tall windshield available for earlier model Warriors, etc.( 18 plus inches I believe) .Looking at the pics , it seems your whole helmet was above the windshield, was that the case. Thanx, JIm-Bob, Skowhegan

That windshield looks different than the one in the pictures on the Yamaha web site. What is coming stock on the machine?

How was the acceleration compared to your Old Venture?

I'll reply to 3 posts in one,

jim-bob,

The wind hit me in the upper chest which may be a concern. I was also objective in the fact that I'm pretty tall 6'2".

morrisond,

I agree, I saw some video's during the dealer seminar, and it looked to me the the prototype windscreen could have been off the RS Venture TF which is really huge. Personal opinion, there is alot of distortion and parallax when one looks through curved plastic. IMO, I believe the top of the windscreen was "trimmed down" to avoid any safety issues.

Snow4me,

Once I got the sled set up, the thought had crossed my mind. LOL...;)!

I did put 50 miles on the sled Friday afternoon.

The GYTR clicker shocks do provide a much wider range of adjustment (shock and rebound) for the consumer. This sled is much easier to adjust than the old RS model.

Someone has been listening. This sled has a bunch of features we have been asking for.

In addition, the sled is not short of any power. It goes real well!!!;)!

Hope this helps,

Hondo, I saw the sled in Lake Geneva but not get to ride it. What your overall ride impression compare to your current RX Venture??

Two post's in one,

RIYAMAHA,

The mirror's on the outside are attached to the lower part of the windscreen. I'm going out on a limb on this one, and say on the inside of the windscreen, I believe there is a metal bracket.

The track is the same 144" ripsaw. The new Camaoplast tracks in my opinion are now made of a softer compound. With new rubber wheels and possibly improved harmonic dampening from the engines firing sequence (another reason for detuning the Nytro motor) ergo; no track howl.

Mrsled,

Overall, the Venture GT is a big improvement in comparison to the old RS Venture. Yamaha has incorporated many features we have been asking for over the years.

I will have to get used to riding more neutral than laying back in my 2005 lounge chair / couch. Not a problem.

The ride adjustability is amazingly easy, the motor is very quite and very impressive with fuel injection.

You can set this sled up to stiffer settings and you'll think you are riding an Apex LTX.

Again, just my opinion, Yamaha has hit the ball out of the park on this one. Improved ride versitility plus, new power, and new ergonomics makes this sled a keeper. ;)!

Hondo,

Great report as usual. I have an 05 and the one thing I noticed from the pictures is the overall length of the seat on the 09 looks shorter. Did you notice that?

Thanks
John

johnboy,

I did notice the riders seat lip could be extended back about 3 inches.

The reason I didn't report this previously is because of my abnormal size. What is normal today though???

What I will probably do when I get a GT, is take the seat to a shop up-here that does superb custom seat work. I'll have them cut the lip back 3 inches, form a new lip then sew the seat back together.

This mod should not affect the passenger and their seat. My wife and I will certainly "measure twice" before we have the seat cut.

The old RS Venture seat is slightly longer than the GT seat.

Good observation! ;)!

I take it you're trading in your sled for this one next year then?

Kudos to Yamaha (a first from me in a long while) for finally bringing some great features that everyone should appreciate, ie. trunk, adjustable backrest, reduced track howl and FINALLY, idler wheels WITH replaceable bearings! LaLaLa My guess is that these wheels will eventually replace the current style, IF they are durable.

Back