• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First time stranded in 19 years

rtx moose

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder LTX LE,2007 RTX,2000 SRX700
Took my 2000 srx out last night and noticed the lights were dimmer than usual then one of the two headlight barely worked..at our first place we stopped at.it would not start!!!!!pulled it over and no lights at all not even when engine turned over when i pulled..
Total bummer the srx has never failed in 19 years of owning it..im guessing my stator went out...what do you guys think?

What, couldn't even go twenty years on that sled!!! Better switch brands!!!

But, actually, does sound like stator.

I'd be pretty happy to get 20 years out of sled without any problems. My vote goes to the stator also.

Dammit...just went out to garage and decided to pull it over just for the hell of it and it started like new no lights dimmed either WTF HERE WE GO...so what would cause this?

Could be a corroded ground but still think it’s the stator. Run it around close to home see what happens. Stators usually a catastrophic failure in my experience depends on what circuits are fried. Mine a 2s doa on the spot my buds got him home but that was a 4s Apex.

I had an older 2s do this awhile back. It would start and run fine one day, and then do nothing the next. I was constantly checking for spark with various results. After switching out different components from other sleds with nothing making it better, I removed the stator. It was bad. Purchased a used one from a snowmobile junkyard on-line and that solved the issue. It seems this may be your case also.

some stators only act up when they get hot. at 19 years it would not hurt to replace it.

Those sleds were known for harness rub throughs under the motor. With my SXR I pulled the harness out and put a plastic sleeve over it. I think it's called wire loom.

On another note my son rode the 2001 SXR 100 miles last weekend with all of us and we never had to wait for him.

Sounds like a rub through. The 1998-2002 SRXs were known to have this problem.
Go to the 2 stroke forums and do a search "Rub Through" should be lots on info that shows up in the SRX/Viper forum

So this is the thing back in 2005 i had tbe YES WARRANTY. .i had the rub thru wire harness issue resolved by the dealer...so was the fix a reroute of the wiring or did they just replace?anyone know what the dealer fix was?

Back